MSFS crashes when landing mountainous or high terrains (especially Anchorage (PANC)?)

Hi,

I have a persistant bug where the sim will crash to desktop when trying to load a flightplan in a particularly mountainous area or when I enter such an area to land or enter low altitude. It happens anywhere near Alaska, especially near Anchorage or near Pakistan/India Kashmir border.

Is this an issue for someone else?

Could you post a screen shot of your plan as you see it on the map screen, so we can replicate?

Hey @LegoHawk. In addition to what @hobanagerik is suggestion, check out the following:

There are quite a few threads on the forums where people are reporting crash to desktops and it seems there is no one single cause. Reports indicate that the ‘fix’ for one user doesn’t work for another user etc. Tracking down the cause is very time consuming. I suggest maybe using the forum search function to find other threads for this issue. If you wanted to be brave, even though it is time consuming, you could take the plunge and go ahead and reinstall windows. It might actually save you time in the long run. However, it doesn’t guarantee that it will solve your problem if the CTD is caused by hardware weaknesses (unlikely but possible) or driver issues.

To get you started, here are two links (Link1, Link2) to existing mega-threads about CTDs.

It would also be a good idea to check out the known issues post to see if you are affected by one of those.

For advanced troubleshooting, if none of the other fixes seem to work, then there may also be some useful information contained in this detailed thread: Community Troubleshooting Guide.

1 Like

Can confirm the crash/CTD. Happened 2 times at the same location (around fix ELLAM) while approaching PANC on the flight PASI-PANC. Both with the same module: ucrtbase.dll

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.9.3.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5f6cd7d4
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ucrtbase.dll, Version: 10.0.19041.488, Zeitstempel: 0x0d8057d8
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x000000000006c240
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x3e28
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d69f5a7f62d9ac
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Berichtskennung: 29df6688-bbb2-4056-8818-383d6834947b
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

So, I wasn’t going mad when it was happening to me. Something similar happens near the Kashmir border, near the K2 mountain, there are a few Airbases there. Try and approach for land - it will CTD.

Will Asobo pick this up and debug or does this need escalating?

I’ll be damned.

The only CTDs I’ve had so far since I bought the sim on release date, have been due to the known VFR map bug.

I’m not familiar with Alaska at all but reading this thread I tried to spawn at PABV and got a CTD a few seconds after hitting the Fly button. Tried again, same result.
I then tried to spawn at AK66, with no issue. Took off, and after 5 minutes into the flight toward the West, got a CTD. I think this particular area is bugged. This reminds of the Keflavik bug.

However, in my case, I don’t think it’s necessarily due to mountains. I flew the whole day yesterday in Nepal (arguably quite mountainous), and the day before yesterday in the Alps with zero problem.

I can also confirm it happens. Just as I hit R45 on the ILS 15 approach it crashes unceremoniously. I video captured the flight from just before TAZLI so I could be sure to capture the crash if it happened.

I reported the issue to Zendesk. Report 67102. I tried to attach a video but it failed to upload, so I attached the memory dump file and the event log information.