Msfs crashing half way through startup

I also haven’t heard of fiber, did some research but couldn’t find anything on it… Maybe some devs can help? Attatched is a screenshot of the event viewer. And yes the community folder has been empty since the begging. Furthemore, I used another forum’s suggestion of reinstalling in this method: Microsoft Flight Simulator | Re-Install MSFS2020 in Seconds - YouTube and what happened was I got to the end of the loading bar, and the animation to display the main menu started, a couple of frames processed and then it froze and crashed.

the video is about ms-store installion. Its basicly same as I described above for your steam install, just the folders are on different locations. Most important to know is: if users want a clean local reinstall, then the app-data folder needs to be removed manually after un-installing the game. That will of course not help, if the cloud-data is corrupt.

The “new” crash (0x80000003) while enter the menu…hmmmm… that can still come from cloud-data, connected joysticks, etc, but can be also different reasons. Did you tried already to limit the Max-FPS to a low value ( e.g. 30 ) in nvidia control center ?

And related to “developers”: dont forget to ‘inform’ the developers about with open a ZenDesk ticket (support link in forums header ) and attach the crashreport. ( and dont wonder about the state “solved” :wink: ).

PS: I know, lots of guesses, but its not easy to narry it down remotly :slight_smile:

I have another question…

Can you check the message before the “0x80000003” ?.. is somewhat mentioned with a “nvlddmkm” crash ?

Alright so I’ve submitted a report on zendesk, lets see what they have to say. So the error 0x80000003 doesn’t actually show up as a notification on crash, I just see it in windows event viewer. No notification is present after the crash. As for the “nvlddmkm”, I can’t see it anywhere on the event viewer.

I also did your suggestion of limiting FPS to 30 via nvidia control panel - no difference.
I also deleted the user data once more to see if it would help - No difference either, crashes at 75% again.

Tonight I am going to do another clean reinstall of the game, this time with SU12, lets see if that will help at all.

PS: I appreciate your patience and help with this :slight_smile: Please let me know if there’s any other information I can give you to help.

I had the same problem! But after two reboots,my System suddenly offered me Windows updates. After I had done these, my sim started running.

Scott

I have good news! My game is now up and running again. I just did a full flight with no crashes, no bugs, it ran perfectly. So what I think fixed it was the second clean reboot (similar to @ScottMDA). However I did a few extra steps. I don’t know wether these had any effect, but for the sake of sharing here’s what I did:

1. Uninstall MSFS through steam (right click on game, uninstall)

2. Went to %appdata%, and deleted the MicrosoftFlightSimulator folder.

3. I then went to programfiles(x86), then steam, userdata, my profile number, then deleted folder 1250410 (I have tried this several times before, but as an extra precaution I did it anyways)

4. I went to where MSFS was installed through steam for me: (E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator) and deleted that folder too.

5. As another precautionary measure, I went to change my VRAM paging options (just type performance into the search box on windows, then adjust appearance… advanced, and its there) I set them all to automatic (again) and after all this I restarted my computer.

6. I reinstalled MSFS on the same drive as before, and after the install, I got to the main menu, exited the game, and restarted my computer again.

My joysticks were unplugged for this entire process, I only re-plugged them after step 6.

After all of that the game finally started running normally. Here is what I think fixed it. So my issues began around three weeks ago which was within SU11 and AAU1. During this time I did a clean reinstall of MSFS, and the crashes persisted. With the help of @MichaMMA I troubleshooted a bunch of stuff, but to no avail. I waited for SU12. Where the game launched to the main menu for the first time since the crashes, but then crashed again anyway. However, after doing this clean reinstall of the game after SU12, It has been running well, therefore my theory is that my bug was fixed in SU12, but wasn’t fully in effect until I fully reinstalled the game after SU12.

Zen desk didn’t really help, they just suggested I restore the game to vanilla state, which I had tried several times earlier. So as for the Fiber Error message, Still have no clue what it meant.

1 Like

In computing ‘Fibres’ are just lightweight threads.

The 0x80000003 error is a breakpoint error that is mentioned in other threads (GFX Card has encountered a problem)

but 0x80000003 stand not generally for a GFX card error, its just a “somewhat happend” error :slight_smile:

the fibres, yes… I also know that from ruby as “lightweight threads”, but we are not sure about the relation and the meaning in MSFS. May be they use same semantics. Problem was, that these error-message gave us no hints about the reason ( in contrast to the other topic, where the CrasReport message is ‘clear’ : “Msg=GPU Device Removed” ). But at least I’am happy, that we have now basic CrashReport file :slight_smile:

Correct. It is specifically a Breakpoint error. I mentioned the GFX error for reference if they wanted to check the threads (if they were not already aware)

1 Like

Yeah, my gpu driver was always updated, and I hadn’t updated it during the re-install as it was already on the latest version, therefore I don’t think it was an issue with the GPU.

I did exactly the same steps you posted and I got stuck on the installation manager. It shows 127.57GB/127.57GB, 100% completed, but only 17/525 items done. Whenever I exit the sim and load it again it’ll repeat the same step.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

It’s 04/16/23. I’m trying to run MSFS v1.31.22.0, windowed, in Safe Mode, on an Omen 17t laptop. In Content Manager I’ve uninstalled everything not labeled Asobo or Microsoft, and removed all 3rd party scenery packages. It always gets through the credits, thereafter it crashes at any time. One time it asked for a game disk, then froze. On one try I was able to access Options & Content Manager. Then when the Select Departure Airport screen came up, the window froze, became unresponsive, and after maybe 15 seconds closed.
I’ve been running MSFS on this same machine from March 2022 until 04/14/23, with no crash problems. There have been no SW updates since then.
Is this a recently new MSFS version? If so, when was it released?
Machine details: W11 home 64b v21H2, Intel i7-11800H CPU, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3070 GPU v30.0.14.7247 driver v531.61.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

none Everything looked normal until the freeze/crash.

I started getting msfs crashes on 04/16/23; no problems before then. Once I got to opening Options, then after some changes, when I got to selecting the departure airport it crashed. Now it crashes during the screen right after I hit Safe Mode, apparently loading something. Microsoft Windows tells me that all my drivers are current, the same microsoft as in MSFS. I just installed the latest Nvidia driver (released 04/12!). I deleted rollingcache.ccc. Still crashing.
Did a factory reset fix the problem for you?

1 Like

i have the same problem since yesterday- CTD, very frustrating …

Go through each of the following steps one at a time. Copy each line, one at a time , paste it into the Dos window (crtl + V) and press return (run using admin rights)

and it will then run. Wait until each runs and finishes before you move on to the next one.

When you are completely finished, Restart your computer and then try to see in MS2020 will start and run properly

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /checkhealth

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /scanhealth

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

RESTART your computer as the last step. Then go for a test flight

Thanks for the suggestions
Before I saw this post, I had used System Restore to reset my machine to its state on 4/11, before I saw the first crash. Then I did the steps suggested. Unfortunately it crashed again in exactly yhe same place as before: 3/4 of the way through the load screen.

Create a msinfo file and all the way down at the bottom will be Windows Error Reporting - what is the faulting module for any Flightsimulator.exe crashes?

1. Open a Run command box. To do so, press the Windows key and R key at the same time.
  • Alternatively, search “Run” in your Start menu’s search bar.
  1. In the Run window’s dialog box, type msinfo32 and click OK.

Depending upon the fault, we may be able to help you here quickly, but if it is more complex it would be best to submit a Zendesk request:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

What is in your community folder?

Nothing. It’s empty.

In this thread, there seems to be an implicit assumption that the cause(s) of these crashes are in user systems. I asume that different user systems have different HW and/or SW setups: different apps etc… The obvious question is: what’s common to everyone experiencing crashes at exactly the same place during MSFS startup? There’s Windows of course, but also MSFS itself.