MSFS deleted itself

Me too.

All the best,

John

Did a bit more looking.
I have MSFS installed on my G drive. The main installation is still there.

However the packages folder (which contains content.xml etc) which is on the G drive is now empty and appears to have re-installed itself to a packages folder on the C drive which used to contain symbolic links to the G drive folder.

Thank you Asobo.

All the best,

John

Same issue here. This is the 3rd time this has happened. I have to split the install between two SSDs. I am sick of this issue. Seems every month it is something new. Fun game, horrible software fixes.

I have a similar issue. Yesterday I updated Windows and after that two of my games purchased in the MS Store wasn’t recognized as installed even though the folders where still present. One of those where MSFS and when I started the sim it downloaded the installer and prompted me to choose the install location. I selected the folder where I had the game installed and fortunately it recognized it and I didn’t have to download it again. I didn’t have the same luck with Dirt Rally that magically disappeared from the hard drive once I tried to start it and I was forced to download it all again after spending a couple of hours trying various tricks.

With MSFS the only thing I’ve noticed since this happened is that all my graphic settings and rolling cache where reverted to default. I haven’t actually started a flight yet so I don’t know if the controls are messed up as well but I certainly don’t hope so.

Where exactly is the exe-file? I did not find any.

G:\MSFS\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe is where its at on my system.

Your mileage may vary, to find it on your system, open up file explorer, click on This PC then go into the search box and type flightsimulator.exe and hit the search button, it will tell you where or if its installed on your system.

FS is not gone on my system even though it appeared like that. I did the check for compatibility for Windows 11, found out that I had to activate TPM in the Bios and after doing so, I started the system again, did the check again, now compatible with Windows 11 (W11 becoming available in the coming months), system found to be OK now and Flight Simulator available again as if nothing had happened.

I don’t have it on steam. I searched in many folders but didn’t find anything like an EXE. Now wearching with the search-function since more than40 minutes…i don’t know how long it will go.

Aha, exactly what I did but I didn’t think of that and just assumed the problem was related to the Windows update. I did a (negative) compatibility test, enabled TPM in BIOS, did the test again and then all of my problems started.

It will be interesting to see if others report the same problem.

I just cannot believe it. I reinstalled the most part, restarted my PC and now it is gone again! And i cannot acess any folder of C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe. When i double-click any of them it says “acess denied”. What is going on???

I had a similar problem.
I have installed FS2020 in August 2020 ed I have played this year without problem.
Today I started the game, as usually, and after few minutes FS2020 starts to download 120,0GB of files!!!
I cannot believe that the program has to reinstalled interely by itself.
Now I’m waiting to finish (still 9 % to go), I hope that I can play again…

For the record, I had the same situation here. What seemed to be an update was in fact a reinstall. Community folder and World updates gone as well.

If your in steam go into you library, click on MSFS, right click choose Manage, Browse local files, then when the window opens scroll down and you should find it right there flightsimulator.exe

I am not on Steam. I purchased it via the MS Store.

Hmmm then I dont know what to tell you, the only other way I know to find it is the search from file explorer.GL

I actually install everything for the second time. I will see if after this installation i will be able to find that EXE-file. It seems related to the problem that it deletes itself.

My feeling is that the program is not gone, the map only has been made invisible.

You just have to do the first check about TPM via Windows Update. If TPM is OK in the Bios, then FS is made visible in the system again and can be started again. One way to ensure that your pc is ready for Windows 11…

Okay, I’ve fixed it myself which I shouldn’t have to.

Now got many GB’s on my C drive I don’t want to have because they should be on my G drive.

So do I, presumably, have to manually redo the symbolic links that used to be there.

Trying to be nice but why am I having to put up with this ■■■■.

All the best,

John

1 Like

I just saw that there were actually updates available when i checked “update & security”. But they were not automatically shown as advice in the Windows-bar as usual, that’s why i did not check that first…that’s so bad now!

1 Like

Unbelievable. Too much of a coincidence that many people (including myself) experienced the same issue roughly within the same period of time.
My case: the day before I flew a 5 hour flight, then shut down the MSFS and the computer as usual.
Saturday (9/10) afternoon: switched on the computer, the MSFS icon on the tool bar was gone. Looked into the Appdata folder and - surprise! - the whole MicrosoftFlightSimulator folder was GONE!
The rest of the game (installed from MSStore into another SSD disk) was there.

As the reinstall option from MStore gave error, I had to manually remove the whole 150+ Gb and then, and only then, was I allowed to reinstall everything from scratch.

Does anyone have the faintest idea of what was going on there? Can a program erase itself from the Appdata folder? Was it a virus (but I have Sophos antivirus global protection)?

1 Like