MSFS doesn't launch with Virtual Desktop

Help, i am lost.
MSFS is running not so bad with Oculus and link cable, but at start i had done some tests with VD so i wanted to check again how it works now.
But i am totally unable to switch to VR inside Quest when VD is launched, VD streamer is on, Stem on, Steam VR on, Runtime is Steam VR.
I launch VD in the Quest 2, launch MSFS and start a flight, then switch to VR in MSFS with Ctrl+Tab.
In the quest the screen changes, wide black view with a small windows saying MSFS wait… then i have some flashes and nothing else, MSFS doesn’t switch to VR in the Quest.

I am missing something but what…

I tried with Oculus and Link connected.

I tried without Oculus and Link, only WiFi as before, 5Ghz, not working …

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having the same problem…

strange, i remember having used it, but now i am totally unable to use it again !
all this VR environment is so simple :slight_smile:

This has happened to my system since the latest update, I can nolonger switch to vr . I too have oculus. Need help. Has somthing been changed by recent updates.

but i see that now we can get VD from Steam to have a wired version or on Oculus to get a wireless version…
for me i bought it through oculus, but if i try now through Steam it ask again for a payment… 13 Euros more…

I have the same problem

so i succeded to launch it but not sure of what i did.
i guess its about the developer option, u must launch Steam, then SteamVR, have the Quest connected and active, go to steam VR menus, settings, developers, and set the 1st option ON, restart Steam VR
in fact i activated all options there.
after some trials it worked…
pay attention also to the resolution per eye, mine was at 500%, i guess its screwing all perf.
check also in developer menu if the runtime is set to steamvr

but even launched i got huge stutterings and also the colors are very different, front panel is black, u cannot read on it, outside colors very saturated.

but it launched

1 Like

This is most likely why it wasn’t working. Your GPU was probably choking to the point of crashing with that setting.

Also, the wired version of Virtual Desktop has been around for a long time and it has different functionality than the Quest version. It won’t do anything for you with MSFS at all – don’t buy it for that.

yes, now it works, but i already bought it end of last year and only for MSFS, early in last december it was a way to get good VR performances from MSFS and Quest 2, but maybe now Oculus Link has improved enough and its better to use cable/Oculus.

I’m using Virtual Desktop with my quest 2 too what I figured out is each time I have to use the left controller menu button, then it opens the virtual desktop menu, and I have to manually clic on “enable VR” because by default even if I’ve launched previously Steam VR, FS + runtime… it’s only displaying the 2D flat screen and therefore no VR headset detected

To clarify: above it was posted that there’s a wired and wireless version of Virtual Desktop. My reply was saying that the wired version is different altogether, and not to buy it for use with MSFS because it has no functionality that can be used with it.

The wireless and wired versions of Virtual Desktop have very different purposes and features.

Yes thanks, i didn’t bought the wired, and i stay with my wireless.
But not sure if we can get good performance through VD, do you know which post could be the best tutorial for using msfs with VD ?

Hey, great advice on getting “Switch to VR” as an option again! Clicking the developer setting brought the option back! Although now, when I click “Switch to VR”, I get a black screen on the Oculus! I can’t get back other than quitting Virtual Desktop. The Switch to VR option is there, but just brings me to the black screen. Any thoughts on how to get VR back???

The way i start up the sim is open steam, then Virtual desktop on my pc. I load up virtual desktop on the headset and while looking at the desktop through vr i click on msfs. When then sim loads up i click my hot key to start up vr…sometimes that does fail so i close out of the vr server application that come up in the taskbar and then i click the hot key and it works. Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.