MSFS Landing Inspector - [Update Oct 1] Freeware Tool for Analyzing Landings

Ever since playing the MSFS closed alpha, there was one thing I was missing - information about how smooth or hard my landings were. Apart from the landing challenges, there was no way for us to assess this. After some weeks of tinkering with the Python Simconnect library, I finished a tool that lets us finally do this - the MSFS Landing Inspector.

UPDATE OCTOBER 1, 2020: VERSION 1.1 RELEASED

• Fixed -999999 values caused by low frame rates.
  • Fixed vertical speed to represent true values instead of indicated.
  • Landing rating is now based on the vertical speed at touchdown.
  • Improved visualization of charts. Different colors are now shown for data when airborne and when on the ground.

MSFS Landing Inspector is a tool for analyzing landings in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. It reads the airplane’s telemetry data via SimConnect and displays relevant information about your landing in a web browser.

Currently, MSFS Landing Inspector displays the following data:

• Current vertical G force
  • Current vertical speed
  • Touchdown G force
  • Touchdown vertical speed
  • Graph showing the G forces during landing
  • Graph showing the vertical speed during landing
  • Graph showing the altitude above ground during landing

Here is a screenshot of MSFS Landing Inspector in action:

If you like to give it a try, head over to the Github repo here - https://github.com/mracko/MSFS-Landing-Inspector. Click on the green Code button and select Download Zip. It’s 100% free to use. You’ll find instructions on how to install it on the Github project page. The tool requires Python, but don’t let this scare you away. It’s not complicated at all.

Let me know if you like it. I’m open to any suggestions and ideas. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

43 Likes

Great works! It was really needed!!! :clap:t2:

Thank you! This looks awesome. I can’t wait to try it. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

1 Like

looks like a good start, but I would be perhaps more interested in more details like how far did I landed (within the touchdown zone or outside the touchdown zone), how was my flare?, did I float? for how long? how was mi touchdown with respect to the runway centerline, how far off was I, how was my longitudinal axis with respect to the runway, was I aligned, what wind was sensed close to the runway?

I may be asking too much perhaps, sorry about that… but I still think is a very good idea, thanks. I will try it later on.

This looks awesome! I can’t wait to try it out tonight; thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Only issue for me is having to install python. I’m a dev myself and I completely understand why, but it is such an inconvenience!

in any case thanks for sharing I’m using it and works great!

2 Likes

This looks really handy, thanks for sharing it! :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

very well done :heart_eyes:

Thanks for the positive feedback! It certainly gives me the drive to continue developing this tool!

@cca777pilot: Thanks for the tips. This version is just the start. I’m planning on implementing additional data such as pitch angle, heading, ground speed and winds. However, information about how far off from the ideal touchdown zone you are will require substantially more work.

@ricmk: I understand that installing Python might be a turn-off for some. I see if I can compile it into an executable, but as you probably know, the results aren’t always ideal (file size, buggy, anti-virus acting crazy, etc.)

3 Likes

great news, I am already looking forward the next version (no pressure) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, is always interesting to see your performance and de-brief yourself to improve for the next time. :+1:t2: Good work

1 Like

so here is my latest ILS landing and i wonder what the graphs wanna tell me …

2.73 Gs on an ILS landing causing structural damage? wow …
and where did those 2 massive hits came from especially the one about altitude?

Thanks for testing the tool. The dips are caused by the tool not receiving correct input from SimConnect. In such cases the tool interprets the data as -999999. I will iron out this bug in the next version.

As for 2.73Gs being rated as “Structural damage to plane”. I admit, I was bit too aggressive with the rating. I’ll change it in the next version. The way MSFS Landing Inspector rates your landings is as follows:

• Smooth landing: Gs < 1.25
  • Acceptable landing: Gs between 1.25 and 1.5
  • Poor landing: Gs between 1.5 and 1.75
  • Hard landing: Gs between 1.75 and 2
  • Very hard landing: Gs between 2 and 2.5
  • Structural damage to plane: Gs > 2.5

If you have better suggestions on how to classify the ratings based on Gs, then please let me know. Ideally, if you have references from maintenance manuals, airline guidelines, etc. I’d be happy to make adjustments to the tool based on such input.

Btw, you can adjust the rating thresholds in the msfs_landing_inspector.py file yourself. Just open it in a text editor and look for lines 74 to 86 starting with “# Landing Rating Based on G-Forces”. Even without Python knowledge, you should be able to change it without problems.

1 Like

how much Gs to make butter though? :rofl:

seriously though, thank you!

1 Like

ur ratings r ok, i was just shocked that simconnect delivered 2.73 G on an ILS landing which looked smooth to me … coz these data also go to my OnAir app where my virtual aircraft really loose airframe condition way too much, now i know why.

is there a way to hide that py.exe window somewhere else? constantly tapping through my tasks now i get even more confused :clown_face:

To my knowledge, all such third party plugins rely on SimConnect to get data from and to MSFS. But it’s possible that in certain situations SimConnect doesn’t report accurate data. I’m planning on doing cross checks whether SimConnects G forces, and altitude changes match up. Currently, MSFS Landing Inspector uses data input directly from SimConnect.

You can minimize the py.exe window, but that’s about as far as it gets with hiding it. Alternatively, you can try opening a new desktop an launching it there (Windows Key +
Ctrl + D, then Windows Key + Ctrl + Left/Right to switch between desktops). This might declutter your workspace.

2 Likes

These tools that great community members create have such a features, which shoukd already be implemented in game

good idea, i ve forgot that desktop mod almost …

so here is another one, this time a difficult manual landing on some african mud srip:

well, it was far from perfect, but again way above the 2.5G max :upside_down_face:

btw it would be nice to have a vertcal line on that graph to see the point/s of touchdown …

2 Likes

Thank you!! The main reason I was hoping for a Replay feature was to be able to analyze my landings and figure out where I need to improve. I just tested it with a quick flight, I had to go around, and then I came in too hard (I felt), followed by a lengthy taxi to parking, but this showed me exactly what I needed to see. I love that I can see the graphs on my tablet too.

Thank you for this. However, in my case, it only seems to be recording my current vertical G and FPM at the top, and recording NOTHING else! Even as I touch down, the browser still looks like this:

I have tested multiple planes and multiple airports, and I just cannot get this working. If anybody has any clue how to fix this, please reply!