MSFS Mobile Companion App v1.2 Update - Added COMs and more [Freeware]

EDIT 19/12/2020: Check out the thread to the latest version: MSFS Mobile Companion App v1.3 Released - Added FLC, lights, deicing, GPS track line [Freeware]

I’m excited to announce the release of version 1.2 of MSFS Mobile Companion App. This release adds COMs, simulation rate controls, landing ratings (vertical speed at touchdown) and improves the overall stability.

MSFS Mobile Companion App is a tool that allows you to control essential aircraft instruments such as NAV/COM frequencies or autopilot using almost any mobile device. The MSFS Mobile Companion App is free to use.

List of new features and fixes:

• Added COM1/2 and transponder.
  • Added vertical speed at touchdown.
  • Added simulation rate controls.
  • Improved stability and performance. Multiple devices/browsers can now connect to the app concurrently.
  • Added dark moving map style.
  • Fixed default moving map not displaying.
  • Various minor bug fixes.

Where can I get it?
You can download the MSFS Mobile Companion App for free on GitHub or flightsim.to.

Important notice for new users: Don’t install the app on your mobile device! Download and run it on your PC. This creates a local web server to which you connect via an IP address. You can connect to the app from your Android, iOS, Windows or Linux devices. To find out more about this app, visit the GitHub project page

Enjoy the app and let me know your feedback!

14 Likes

I just tested it out and it works great with GA but unfortunately I am having issues with the a320n by Fly by Wire. It just doesn’t seem to be switching coms there. sometimes I can get com2 to work, but no luck on com1. squawk and altimeter works fine.
Parts of the AP work, some don’t.

edit: I just learned the a320 has pretty wonky simconnect support… so that might be it.

When I was testing the default A320, I’ve noticed that COMs would change correctly but the frequency wouldn’t refresh correctly in the cockpit unless I switch to a different VHF and then back.

The best way to see this is to tune into a frequency and open up the ATC window. You should see the same frequency as the one you typed in the app. If you want to have the frequency displayed in the cockpit you have to change into a different VHF and then back.

This was with the stock A320. I would be interested if this is the same in the flybywire mod.

Yeah, this is what I experienced with the com2 but fairly sporadic. It wasn’t reliable or anything. but didn’t manage to do that with com1

Just so that I understand you correctly. COM1 and COM2 work “under the hood” it’s just that you don’t see the frequency being updated in cockpit. With COM2 you can sometimes force the frequency to update by switching to VHF1 and back, but with COM1 you can’t. Did I get it right?

This is amazing. I second the request on GitHub for a FLC toggle and adjustment option (to adjust the target airspeed). Also, as a future feature request, I would really enjoy having another page dedicated to lights (taxi, landing, nav, beacon, etc.). The same page could include a few other commonly-used things like landing gear, flaps, spoilers, etc.

Thanks for the tips! I’ve updated the app on GitHub yesterday with light and deicing controls as well as a GPS track for the map. It’s not quite ready because the UI needs some adjustment so you’ll only find the update in the source code, not the exe.

The FLC autopilot is a bit tricky because there doesn’t seem to be dedicated SimConnect command for it. Nevertheless, I’ll try to do a workaround. I’d be happy if you could help me with the following:

1. Which airplane(s) in MSFS have working FLC?
  2. Does FLC hold the VS or the pitch attitude for a given airspeed?

Thanks a lot!

Most of the General Aviation planes with the G1000 system have a working FLC function. In the early days after the sim was first released, I believe some planes had problems with FLC, but lately, it is working well in every plane I’ve tested. This includes the Bonanza G36 (both the G36 Improvement Project mod and Robert Young’s turbonormalized mod), the DA62X mod, the DA40 NGX mod, the Working Title Citation CJ4 mod, and the Baron G58. One exception to the general rule is the Cirrus SR22. It uses the G1000, but its autopilot does not have FLC.

FLC adjusts pitch attitude to maintain a selected airspeed. As such, the vertical speed varies in FLC mode. This is most pronounced in a jet like the CJ4. When FLC is set for a standard climb profile (pitching for 240 kias), the plane will climb near 4,000 feet per minute in the lower atmosphere, but the climb rate reduces to near 1000 feet per minute over 30,000 feet.

1 Like

Here’s a link to a code commit from the Flight-Tracker-StreamDeck project on GitHub. They added FLC functionality back in October, along with options to increase or decrease the set airspeed:

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks a lot. I’ll have a look at it and hopefully be able to implement the FLC AP next week. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

I’ve added the FLC AP to the app. You can find the latest source code here: https://github.com/mracko/MSFS-Mobile-Companion-App

I haven’t compiled it into an executable yet because I want to test it a little bit more. If you have any troubles with running the Python source code, then please let me know.

Excellent! I just downloaded the source and followed your instructions to compile the exe with pyinstaller. I’ll give it a whirl and report back!

1 Like

I’m currently flying a long flight in the Beech Baron G58, and FLC is working perfectly using the latest python source from GitHub. The airspeed setting is working exactly as I would expect. Very seamless. I like it.

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks a lot! Let me know if you experience some issues. The lights and heat/deicing controls can be quite tricky depending on the plane you use. Unfortunately, there isn’t much I can do about at this stage.

Nevertheless, I’ll do some more testing this week. If all goes well, v1.3 will go public very soon.

I ran into one hiccup with the lights when I first started the flight. I switched the nav, beacon, and taxi lights on using the cockpit controls, then once I was taxiing, I used MSFS Mobile Companion to switch the landing and strobe lights on as I crossed a non-active runway. After exiting the runway, I switched landing and strobes off again, but instead, it switched ALL the lights off (nav, beacon, taxi, strobe, and landing). It’s possible that my finger hit “Toggle all lights” by mistake. I’ll see if it happens again.

I keep getting this message in the console " Could not find MSFS running. Please launch MSFS and then restart MSFS Mobile Companion App.", even when I am running the sim. Did I need to do something more than downloading the exe file and run it after starting msfs?? I am new to this.

@WxMarc: The lights as well as the deicing controls can be a bit buggy depending on the plane. I might be wrong on this one, but my impression is that there is a problem with the SimConnect integration. It also doesn’t help that there isn’t much info about it in the SDK documentation.

@ModestTexas593: Hi and welcome to the forum! I’m sorry to hear about this bug you have with MSFS Mobile Companion App. You don’t have to do anything apart from starting MSFS (wait until you’re in the menu) and then launching the EXE. I would suggest doing the following:

1. Update MSFS (there was an update yesterday), restart your PC, launch MSFS, wait until you’re in the menu and then launch the EXE again.
  2. Move the EXE file into a different location like C:\MSFS Mobile Companion App.
  3. See if you don’t have an anti-virus blocking the app.
  4. Try a different app that uses SimConnect like https://github.com/lian/msfs2020-go/releases or https://flightsim.to/file/1416/msfs-landing-inspector and let me know if they work.

Let me know if any of these steps work.

Thanks for your help!

1. MSFS is latest but no success.
    1. changed the locations and turn ms defender off but no sucess.
  2. msfs2020-go exe did not even starts. Landing Inspector gave following error msg in the console. My PC is clean-installed Win10. Contrary to the msg, I see SimConnect.dllc at the location.

Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “PyInstaller\loader\pyiboot01_bootstrap.py”, line 144, in init
File “ctypes_init_.py”, line 373, in init
FileNotFoundError: Could not find module ‘C:\Users[my account]\AppData\Local\Temp_MEI115282\SimConnectCust\SimConnect.dllc’ (or one of its dependencies). Try using the full path with constructor syntax.

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “threading.py”, line 932, in _bootstrap_inner

• Serving Flask app “msfs_landing_inspector” (lazy loading)
  • Environment: production
    WARNING: This is a development server. Do not use it in a production deployment.
    File “threading.py”, line 870, in run
    Use a production WSGI server instead.
  • Debug mode: off
    File “msfs_landing_inspector.py”, line 42, in simconnect_thread_func
    File “SimConnectCust\SimConnect.py”, line 125, in init
    File “SimConnectCust\Attributes.py”, line 18, in init
    File “ctypes_init_.py”, line 451, in LoadLibrary
    File “PyInstaller\loader\pyiboot01_bootstrap.py”, line 146, in init
    main.PyInstallerImportError: Failed to load dynlib/dll ‘C:\Users\[my account]\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI115282\SimConnectCust\SimConnect.dllc’. Most probably this dynlib/dll was not found when the application was frozen.

I’ll send you a PM so we can better resolve this issue.

This is my new favorite thing so thank you. I agree another page for gear, flaps and spoilers would be a good addition. And if I’m being picky, + and - buttons for heading and altitude would be nice. Also a read out of the altimeter setting in the app. I’ve used it on my phone and on a second screen and it works great both ways. :grinning::+1: