Msfs vanished!

Hi PJONC747,

Use the system file checker utility on your drive where you have Windows installed. I had an add-on installed that I believe, claims to update all the add-ons in the community folder automatically. I became suspicious of it because it would update itself. Not being sure how good the coding driving the app was, I deleted it, and wondered if that caused my drive corruption. It’s interesting to note you had drive corruption too.

In my case, my drive became corrupted without an update from the MSFS Store.

Charles.

Our hard drive corruption has likely been caused by the same common problem, whatever that common problem is? The hard drive is fixed with a reformat. Lucky I did not have MSFS installed on my system drive!

Charles.

Quite often this issue is caused by the Gaming Services app not functioning correctly. The content is still installed, but the MS Store is not “seeing” it. This app is used to authenticate your owned content to the authentication servers, but it can be problematic from time to time. You can force a reinstall of the app by performing these steps:
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402187356690-How-to-install-Gaming-Services-if-you-get-sent-to-the-store-or-cannot-launch-Flight-Sim

I have noticed over time that the XBox app seems to have less of these types of issues so you may consider using this app going forward.

1 Like

That makes good sense! I realised the program was likely still there and was not being seen. Possible registry corruption too. But, why disk corruption? Disk corruption makes the situation more sketchy, complicates things and making a workable restore less likely. Part of my disk partition disappeared, I could see that the space had become unallocated using the Windows Partition Manager.

Charles.

Thanks for this - Good info.

Just as a follow up. Ended up having to do a full system restore. Windows 11 became completely corrupted to the point that system boot was not possible. When the PC was operating I could not see any evidence of any msfs files still being present (SSD showing virtually empty apart from system files ). 50% through a msfs reinstall on a slowish broadband connection. I am going back to see whether I can catch the data robbing alien in my Alienware !!!

TBF , may have done me a favour, been meaning to reinstall for some time , guess the alien read my mind :smile:

Did you check your drive with a partition manager to see if you had ‘unallocated drive space’ appearing which was previously allocated?

Charles

Same issue too.
It hapoened after the 2 Gb update.
After relaunching MSFS it went for a 157 GB and all the community folder was gone.
I am reinstalling everything, now.
I noticed, later, that the old community folder was on another partition and not seen from MSFS.
Too late…
Bottom line reinstalling everything, settings are all gone is like a vanilla installation.
Killed weekend in installing instead of flying :frowning:

Hi Charles, yes, no unallocated drive space. It is very odd as others are clearly showing data still in other partitions. Two days of reloading and operational again. Slightly worrying as still unsure what caused the original problem. Thankfully I do not mix and match work and pleasure computing otherwise my problem would have been far worse !!

1 Like

Hi PJONC747,

I think you will be OK, this happened to me about 18 months ago, it has not happened again.

BRGDS

Charles.