MSFS works my RTX 2080 harder in the menu than it does in flight

The menu of il-2 renders a hanger with your plane, and rotates it right in front of you. The graphics aren’t as top tier as msfs, but my load readings are CPU 15%ish and GPU 48%ish (they fluctuate) at max graphics on IL-2 BoX. Temps are low 40s, low 50s respectively.

What’s even worse about the MSFS hanger rendering is I can’t even see it. The gigantic menu blocks are obscuring the rendering in the background, so it is even more useless.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Console UI. :poop:

1 Like

I just did that, limited FPS in the Nvidia settings. Now I can use the menu without ear muffs to block out all my cooling fans running at once! Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just as a general remark: It‘s not true that you have always 100% CPU when you are CPU bound. Of course it’s then easy to see. When a resource is in saturation it means tasks are requested to be run but are not run / finished. On Linux e.g. this is the run queue. The second question then is why this is happening. Easy to answer when CPU is at 100% (just meaning the CPU is never in idle / waiting state). The other case is that the CPU is waiting for something to finish. Synchronization, network resources etc. That means the CPU would be capable to do more, but actually cannot.

I well understood, that in the menus the GPU is very high. Again: I‘ve seen this on my PC too and it goes in line with a very high frame rate. Now they could introduce a special frame rate limiter for the menu - or you just enable V-Sync which does the job also.

My RTX2080 that is also overlooked does not get that hot.

With further testing - with Vsync off my frame rates are 400-500 fps in the startup and setup sequence - ISYN. As the previous guy said welcome to the console UI. This is 100% console related and yes most modern games are geared towards console and PC - it’s just the coding on the backend of MSFS is totally FU. So yes the answer is make sure Vsync is on if you have these issues.

I don‘t get why that is automatically bad coding…in my view the goal should always be to have V-Sync on.

400-500fps in the start up screens??? Let’s just stick a band-aid over that one with Vsync!!

2 Likes

There is no good reason to have a loading screen hammer the GPU at 500fps.

7 Likes

.Make sure your monitor and graphics card are GSYNC compatible if they are not then turn on Vsync in sim. If they are compatible then leave vsync off in sim .Vsync is old thing for old gpus GSYNC is the new era.

1 Like

The thing is traditional vsync costs a lot of performance.

We use better technology now, Adaptive Sync stuff like GSync, to sync the frames with a negligible performance hit.

Turning on vsync will typically mean turning on the traditional expensive vysnc, which literally means everyone who has the hardware to take advantage of gsync or freesync loses those benefits and takes a big hit to their frame rate.

This is what I expected thanks.

It’s fundamental game design mistake 101 and yet we see every second team or product out there make that mistake every time - allow scenes in the game to spin the hardware like mad, like menus.

1 Like

I think the reason this happens in so many games is that the experienced coders work on the more difficult / fun / interesting stuff, while the tedious but critical work on menus, input bindings, etc is often left to relatively inexperienced interns or newer developers who either don’t know any better or just don’t care.

2 Likes

OK so for my Radeon VII with Adrenalin software -the CHILL setting (frame limiter) has no effect on the MSFS backend!! What does have complete control over global frame rates is Rivatuner. Setting my FPS limit to 60 with Rivatuner -caps the backend/setup screens to 60 but lets me turn off Vsync without my GPU trying to cook me breakfast in the setup screens or flying. Obviously you can set Rivatuner to limit frame rates to whatever you want. Awesome!!!

This seems like a silly thing, but it’s the number one annoyance for me at the moment with this product, I wish they would fix this soon. I often need to pause my flight for many reasons, and don’t wish to be cooking my GPU. Only alternative is saving and exiting to desktop, and we know what a slow process that can be.

1 Like

For some reason the menus dont honor 60 fps vsync set in options and its rendering at my monitors max freq which is 144…

Not in pause mode, only in main menu etc

I’m seeing 100% cpu usage on a i7 9700 with a 2080ti…

2 Likes

Seriously, install Rivatuner and cap frames there - works 100% across the board!!

1 Like

What’s your clock speed? On one hand I assume you’re overclocking it, but on the other hand I shouldn’t assume it. I’m at 4.8ghz with my i5-9600K. I see short, temporary spikes to 100% CPU usage in new dense areas I’m flying in, so my guess is the game is rendering a ton of stuff very quickly then storing it in RAM and/or on my SSD with the cache system. If I go back to keep flying in this area, my CPU never spikes again. But… anyways, I think the CPU discussion is moot.

The menu is either bugged, or very poorly designed, as a RTX 2080 GPU shouldn’t be running 99% and 80C in a menu. And I don’t think this is an example of a bottleneck. You want the GPU to be able to do a lot of work, just not maxed out work. It’s my understanding you want your GPU running in the 80-90% ish load.

1 Like

So I’m playing Control currently, which is one of the few games out there that uses all of the new fancy tech in the RTX 20 series cards (oh man the 30 series look so good… mmmm… sorry off track!). I have all settings on ultra and there’s a lot of work for my GPU to do. My CPU load is 30-50% and stays cool at 50C. My GPU however stays in the high 90s, like 99%, load, with a temp of 75-80C.

Guess what happens when I press pause? GPU load 12%. It’s like magic voodoo. I’m in a menu, it stops rendering, stores the position in ram (presumably, I don’t know exactly how all this works), and gives the GPU a rest.

The MSFS menu strain on the GPU is specifically a technical issue with the game. Wasn’t there an extensive Alpha that this game went through? How do they not address the menu? I guarantee some supervisor said “People won’t spend any time in the menu so they’ll hardly notice. We don’t have time.” Or something to that effect.