MSFS2020 Wont come to download more than 1.92GB

Hope you’re all doing good.

I’ve been going through a real headache with my Flight Simulator for the last couple of months, and I could really use some genuine advice here.

Here’s the deal: I fire up the game on Steam, It only shows a 1.92GB. Which should not be a problem since it should download later when the game has booted up, within the download manager stuff.

As soon as I get the game rolling, i get the message “Microsoft Flight Simulator didn’t shut down properly”. With the options Safe Mode or Normal Mode – I’ve tried them both. But the result? Game crashes faster than a lead balloon.

I’ve done it all:

• Went through the whole reinstalling circus.
  • Played janitor by manually nuking files, followed by reinstalling.
  • Took off the antivirus/firewall jacket and went commando.
  • Made sure Windows and its buddies are all up-to-date.

I have not been able to play the game for about three months now…

So, before I chuck my computer out the window, does anyone out there have a clue about fixing this mess? I’d flash a smiley face here, but right now, it’s more of a frown.

Looking forward to hearing from you all. Let’s get back to the skies!

Cheers,

Does it crash after syncing settings from the cloud?

It crashes when i make the choice to either start in normal mode or in safe mode.

It crashes no matter what option i choose

If only there was a way to totally nuke all MSFS files so they dont even no that the game “didnt shut down properly” so i can come to the download manager.

I have tried emptying all the download caches in steam aswell

There is an FAQ about doing a clean uninstall (scroll down to the uninstall section):
How to repair or uninstall Microsoft Flight Simulator via the Xbox app – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

Also, one for deleting all your cloud saves (warning, this will delete your logbook and other save settings):

How to delete a cloud save on PC to fix some loading issues or reset the logbook – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

If you wish, before doing this, contact Zendesk for support as they may have some advice.

Worth adding is that I am using the Steam version.

I guess thats why I can’t find it in the XBOX app.

I managed to find the Crash report

MSFSReport-Crash.txt (15.7 KB)

Just did all the above, Still the same issue…

Ah, Steam…
How to uninstall Microsoft Flight Simulator on Steam – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

That crash report you posted, Zendesk can decipher. :+1:

There also may be some crash log in the Windows Event Viewer.

just submitted a ticket do zendesk.

Crossing my fingers :smiley:

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

So I was in contact with the people from Zendesk.

They deciphered the crash log, which even they thought was looking a bit odd since the game was crashing right after launch, “The fact that it is occurring immediately after the launcher is launched is a bit odd.”

They told me to try the different steps that you try when your third-party software messes with your game, which I did.

I ended up doing a full clean reset of my PC.

Which sucked, but seemed to be the only solution.

Now the game works and runs as usual. Just wished that there was a faster way to solve the problem than having to do a complete reinstall.

1 Like

Sorry you had to go through that. I did the same when MSFS first released. Took me a week to reinstall everything!

Same! Glad all is work now!