Multiplayer: display other players actual aircraft 3D models and liveries around you

I see a lot of potential in this platform, and I’m really enjoying it so far. Besides the lack of socialization options right now, the one thing that seems to be a huge flaw to me is how someone won’t see you in your plane you’ve purchased from the in-game store, unless they have also purchased that plane.

A lot of people like to roleplay and have fun with these sorts of games. Maybe they just want to know how others are viewing their character. At least for me, if I pay a very generous price for a jet, I want others to see me flying it. I buy the plane because it’s cool and interests me and I want others to see that and know that aspect of my personality. What I don’t want is to be seen as some generic plane because they haven’t bought the specific plane yet.

I don’t understand the issue here against implementing this. Here’s a solution I propose:

1.) Implement a ‘display nearby third-party aircraft’ option in the graphics menu. If you don’t want the model permanently cached on the user’s PC (to help prevent against stealing it), you could encrypt it or just clear those models when the user signs off. The user gets to choose between downloading a tiny amount of extra content for a more rich and varied experience, or maintaining a smaller disk space. This gives them that choice. If this has not been implemented to prevent stealing assets, I think some basic encryption would “keep honest people honest” as they say, which is all you can really hope for with software. Anyone willing to deal with circumventing encryption to fly a $20 plane is probably going to get their hands on it either way.

2.) This would also encourage more sales of add-ons from the ingame store. As it stands, there’s not much incentive to actually buy a plane from the store when you can get ones elsewhere for free of equal/higher quality sometimes. If someone can’t be certain (and knows it’s unlikely that) other players will see them represented how they want to be seen as a pilot, in that plane they love and purchased, why even buy it if there’s alternatives?

By allowing us to see models of planes purchased in the ingame store, even if we have not purchased it ourselves yet, not only will we increase customer satisfaction as a whole (more varied experience, buyers more satisfied with how they can represent themselves ingame), we’ll make the marketplace more relevant and meaningful to use, and encourage new creators and purchases.

Thanks!

2 Likes

At this point, I would even pay for a 3rd party add-on that has simplified 3d models of the planes released by 3rd party developers. Of course, a solution from Asobo would be optimal, but I am afraid this is low on their priority list (like 2022 low).

1 Like

I’ve updated the OP with direct links to some of the posts in order to further detail some of the recommendations and to list new ones. I’ve add more over time to keep this topic current, thank you for contributing!

@Severeeno
We shouldn’t have to come to this. Microsoft has the server resources to automatically generate lower poly models from the source, in a very convincing and efficient way. They have also purchased a company specialized in this technology a few years back and they could use this ( https://www.simplygon.com/ ).

In general I have found a trend with anything Microsoft is that their game seldom offer the means to customize much of the graphics/text parts, and I believe this is a very conservative measure intended to prevent anyone from abusing this with “visually offending” material… I’m certain this is also the reason you can’t add a “clan” prefix to your Gamertag. I’d tend to believe the main problem is not technical nor resources at all.

@Kaedewulf
This feature wouldn’t pose a threat at all regarding piracy. It would stream lower poly count models for visual purposes only, which means they are just looking alike from a certain distance and don’t have to be to the same level of details even up close. The MP models just have to conserve the shape aspects and specific details relevant for the aircraft. These won’t be flyable aircraft and the model won’t have any cockpit but just the parts which are visible, with no gauges.

This is why it can be automated by default on Azure or whatever certainly in a very effective fashion from the source model. But this is also why I believe in making this by default automatic, it will be the best way to entice 3rd party aircraft vendors to also build their own MP models to replace the automatic one, because in doing so, they can portray their aircraft which others can purchase from the market place in the best shape they deem minimum and attractive, yet with minimal content so that it can’t be used or moded as a fully flying aircraft!

2 Likes

Well said. I could hear the disappointment in my friend’s voice when he showed off his new aircraft and I told him “I see you flying a Cessna”

2 Likes

I like that idea. Automate the generation and distribution of the simple models to all.

2 Likes

This was not a pilot error. He did fly a float plane so he told us.

1 Like

This pic with the short caption perfectly demonstrates the issue. It should be made a meme at this point. Can anyone make a meme? I’ll be using it to draw more attention to this.

1 Like

Nice idea!
Here is one: https://kapwi.ng/c/JjWMH35G
:grinning:

3 Likes

A inbuild updater for liveries that search for the most usual liveries for Airliner and GA aircraft and the newest and most popular Aircraft skins createted by the forum automatically. The accurate Livery would be shown then for every user equal on every airport and in the sky’s.

For example,
Actually someone spawn with a Lufthansa Livery next to me on the Airport. I need the Lufthansa Livery too to make the right Livery of the other user next to me visible. But the most of us don’t have every Skin on stock in the Community folder.

In my opinion it’s necessary on Multiplayer that every user have the same Livery package on stock that shows the accurate Livery of al users.

And hey… It’s just nice and more realism to see all the nice liveries around the world flying or landing on Multiplayer and not just a white or manufacturer Body :blush:

Greetings Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Germany Facebook Group :wave:t3:

I agree and I like to have this as well

2 Likes

I was googling for an answer to this issue and google brought me here. I straight away vote after treading the post. As seen in the picture I’ve been buzzed by a propeller airplane doing mach 1 or 2 :rage: :rofl:

Would be n ice to see what jet is that.

2 Likes

Probably an F15. Since the F15 came out you often get buzzed by F15’s in disguise. At least that’s what I think.

2 Likes

Here is a very good illustration why voting for this topic is needed, and will be increasingly needed as more aircraft hit the marketplace:

NB: look at the flying MP aircraft in front of the upcoming Milviz Corsair…

4 Likes

Stream all the MODS in real-time to clients as they are within visible range of another player who is using that mod!

All MSFS2020 Clients can see all mods in existence (mods such as airports and planes would be streamed in realtime like the photogrammetry data, so local storage is not necessary on clients end), but only those who paid can use the payware mods!

Modders both freeware and payware would get so much more exposure if everyone can see their mods in action in the SIM, and if it’s payware, then those Players would have go to the marketplace to pay the payware modders to actually use them.

Example: Landing at some random airport, a player see’s a PMDG 737 they can actually see it and watch it fly around, but if they actually want to use it, they would have to go to the main menu and select the pay option to open access to using that Addon aircraft!

Yeah the helicopter is bad for people who don’t have it and see planes hovering.
But what is even worse is me and my mates all fly the heli, love it, but if we chose a livery the other doesn’t have we see the plane, how stupid is that? Why not just the helicopter with default livery?

1 Like

@Nethiuz Yes, the model matching rules are very bad. In the developer streams Jorg talk about getting licenses for liveries but they could fix models first.

One the biggest gripes is that the default aircraft is a tbm msfs should like dcs be able to at least transmit the aircraft to users who dont have the plane installed.

Can anybody help clarify whats going on?
Im a little confused regarding the models I see others use in multiplayer.

I have AI turned off, and set the mutiplayer aircrafts to not swap with generic models (off). Yet 99% of other players aicraft I see is either some static low poly model of what I can only assume is the A320 or 787 and a few other GA’s.
Every now and then I actually see a decent model of the A320 where its not just some low poly static model.

Whats causing this? Is there anything I can do to improve this?
I have the standard edition and the only aicraft I bought is the CRJ-500/700 and MB339.
(I did see someone with a CRJ-700, so I can only assume it “works” if I have the exact aircraft and livery installed myself,no?).
Would acquiring more 3rd party aircraft that I think people use help show these in multiplayer? Like the A320NX (its a standalone aicraft now, right?) and others?
And if so, what would be the most used 3rd party aircrafts I should get.
Also, what happens if I dont have the livery installed, does it then just use the default one - or swap out the model completely to some random generic lowpoly static one (or invisible)?

also sometimes the sim simply doesnt show any model at all (invisible) and other times just flicker some static a320 or whatever.

Its all very confusing to me, and its sad - cause it reallly…REALLY breaks the immersion.
You’d think that this being a game designed around the visuals, they would care about the visuals of aircrafts you see around the world.

Cheers

edit: as for the solution to this whole mess, I agree with OP. Surely this would be a relatively easy thing to implement.

1 Like

Really?

So if you have the model but not the livery it wont show the correct model at all? (with a different livery)

No it will not.