Multiplayer name tags without type of aircraft

Weirdly, i notice in multiplayer many planes with nametags but no info underneath that isnt related t obeign too far away. Often plane a few feet away. What causes this?

I’ve never tested this, but my assumption was it was to do with the transponder, and whether it was on or set to ALT.

huh? multiplayers can set transponders?

I believe that this is not really a bug, but rather related to the fact that the other player is using a third party aircraft that you don’t own. E.g. when I fly in a Spitfire you’d only see “SPIT” under my nametag in case you also own a Spitfire (of the same third party, of course).

Of course it would be nice if you’d still see that aircraft identifier (and I don’t see a technical reason right now why that could not be done), but apparently that is just not the case (yet).

UPDATE: Apparently you don’t see the aircraft type if the other player is using a livery that you don’t have installed (and in which case I believe you even see a “generic aircraft”, even though you actually have the actual aircraft installed). I never (cared to) verified this myself, but heard this in discussions several times…

2 Likes

Whether it is visible to another player or not, I don’t know. I had assumed when I saw some showing their altitude, and others not, that it might have been transponder based.

But it looks more likely that the person has something I don’t, either a plane or a livery.

I see, well since update I only nameplates and never plane models. Others saying sdame thing so it looks like update might have messed up something.

I saw plenty of 172s flying over Paris last night.

were you flying in a 172s? was it listed under name plate?

I was indeed in a 172, as I was flying without mods, otherwise I would have been in the Arrow. :blush:

ok, well that confirms my other theory. When I am in A320 flybywire , I do see under the nametag A320N. If I am in helicopter I will see same indentification. New problem since update is we wont see OTHER types than what we are using listed under the nametag.

this is a big issue though since often i will go in an aircraft to fly that isee others flying and need altitude info to.

I also think they need to fix the possibility that if others in multiplayer use a livery we dont have , then we wont see their right aircraft. I saw a fix wing hovering like a copter. Probably the guy was trying to impress with his livery but doesnt realize that i saw him a a small generic plane.

1 Like

It seems that there is indeed something fundamentally broken now with the current release, related to player/aircraft type synchronisation in multiplayer.

• Apparently now you only see the other player’s aircraft type if the other person is using the same aircraft type as you (which would be a regression, of course)
  • (Presumably) related to custom liveries there is a “periodic stuttering” issue, also related to multiplayer (refer to the other bug issues here)
1 Like

So, just did a clean fresh install of MSFS 2020, and still seeing the issue of missing aircraft at airports after spawning in… EGLL for example, if you switch on the nameplates then you can see they are there taxiing/parked, but no aircraft in sight just the name plates moving… All Multiplayer is on and All Players enabled when selecting weather, online is also on… exactly the same settings used before the update when all was good in the world…

I can confirm this.
Today is say two more Longitude´s in the air with aircraft type and alitude in the nameplate.
But none of the A320neo´s near by shows this too.

For me it is an important information espacially during approach legs if I can see is the plane in front or behind me a C172 or a B747 :smiley:

Please, please fix it.

1 Like

Can confirm this issue.

1 Like

and livery too! ;(

Me too. If i fly a C172 i only see the full tags of C172’s. If i fly the PA28 i only see those tags, etc.

I was in the Grravel Cub on Fridays stream, and I saw 172s, and a few other tags, but most didn’t have them.

Same issue here. Definitely a new bug as this hasn’t always been the case.

Not fixed in 2.16.2.0

Can we get an official update on this? It has been over two months since we have had working nameplates in multiplayer. To reiterate, this bug makes it so that you do not see the type of aircraft other users are flying, UNLESS they are flying the exact same plane as you. This was not how it used to work and is not how it should work. I wonder why this issue hasn’t received more attention?