Multiple screens functionality

thats a crazy cockpit OMG… is it on a 6 DOF?

Sad but true. The big headline now from ASOBO is apparently all-important XBox release coming up. That’s what is important to them, in case anybody ever doubted it. As far as delivering on what was supposed to be in the PC release, or fixing the sim so it AT LEAST has the AP, ATC, ,etc. features FSX and FS9 did years back, (and how about at least one airliner that at least really works, if even not a professional level aircraft) that seems to be “on the horizon”. How sad. This could have really been the ultimate simulator. Someone made the comment “sceneulator”…yep- that’s what it currently is.

2 Likes

So I guess this is just never happening, huh?

I did the update with my fingers crossed that they implemented Multiple screens or give a wider view in the 40 gig up date, but nope not for us Sim people just for the gamers and eye candy again. I didn’t even bother to fly i have lost all interest in this “game”…sarcasm…

I am optimistic since the menu screens are now improved - they don’t over-zoom with multiple monitors. Maybe a hint that some work has begun?

How do you feel about this statement post SU5?

My ATC window is now massive and I cannot resize so that the text gets smaller.

My main display is 1440, my secondary display is 1080.

Before SU5 I could pop the ATC window out to the 1080 monitor and would be able to resize it so that I could see other things on that monitor also. (Maps etc)

Now it’s not possible to do any meaningful resizing.

This is a step AWAY from multi monitor support.

SU5 improved the FPS for “standard users” but not for my scenario. Without using my already minimized homecockpit (PFD and MFD as separate monitors with bezels and knobs from Virtual Fly) I get:
3840 x 1080 - 40 FPS
2560 x 1080 - 45 FPS
I use the later one to have some buffer even I loose a lot of field of view. Now I undock the windows and move them into my physical G1000 (why cannot this be saved as startup setting?) and my FPS drop down to 30 at max. Flying in nice airports FPS stumbles around 25!!!
Knowing this is because the useless (invisible) cockpit is calculated in the background does not improve my mindset. In order to get the clear virutal cockpit view another tweak is necessary and instead this should have been there from day one:
In camera.cfg the following adjustment in “views” needs to be made:
eyepoint = 3,95, -0,85, 10,9… this means 9 feet higher and of course one needs to adopt to landing earlier.
So Asobo. Please make the virtual cockpit available soon. Any other simulator did this from day 1. Please give us cockpitbuilders our computing power for stuff we actually see. Not for stuff out of view. Thanks.

To illustrate the issue (acutually I would like to call it a bug).
This one is with the undocked G1000 usually shown on two seperate monitors (Virtual Fly G1000). The entire cockpit is still calculated in the background which is completely useless for my scenario. Also look at the bad utilization of CPU and GPU.

Here the undocked G1000 was removed. You see, that the GPU is now completely utilized. Bacause of the lack of virtual cockpit view, the not needed cockpit is still calculated and consumes massive FPS in the background.

Asobo in vain do they focus on the console. Real connoisseurs of the genre of flight simulators play on the computer. And those who really want to experience pleasant emotions and immerse themselves in the world of flight simulators, buy the necessary equipment for this. As for the Xbox, this is just another game that no one will play because it is not comfortable because the equipment is weak.

People are pretty cynical on this thread. If you watch the development update videos, multi-monitor support is high on their list (something like third) and according to the update, development has begun and is slated for 2021/2022. Just because their focus for this release was xbox, doesn’t mean their focus for all of the future will be. They know many of us have cockpits with multiple displays.

Side note, I have three displays going now using the Borderless Gaming app, plus I use a macro on my stream deck that allows me to quickly send cockpit gauge windows (Right Alt Click) to my two additional displays in the dashboard area of my cockpit. It IS possible to make this work pretty well. The performance increase in this update helped a LOT as did them fixing the blurring lights on my side monitors. Only thing I’m missing now is the refinement of the bezels and viewing angle and allowing the sim to remember which instrument panels I want in which dashboard monitors. It’s a minor inconvenience at this point. The world isn’t ending. Patience will help.

1 Like

Your condescension is noted and unappreciated, however, I’m not “just a gamer”. A gamer wouldn’t have assembled the cockpit you see here. If you have a source that this was promised before the release to be included in the release, I’d love to see it. Everything I saw said it was something that MS was committed to providing. No dates, not upon release, etc.

I have multiple screens going and I have undocked instrument panels in separate monitors. All of my peripherals work. There is only one plane that doesn’t work with my peripherals and it’s the CJ4 because it doesn’t support SimConnect (or didn’t when I last checked). Normally at this point, I’d ask you to explain what limitations you’re facing and try to help you overcome them but I’m not too interested in helping someone with your demeanor.

2 Likes

Care to elaborate a bit on what you describe here? I can’t get to grips with your method.
I have a Stream Deck and use both Flight Tracker and recently Axis and Ohs as well (useful for non sim connect planes like the DC-6).

I am a little bit disappointed, that popout windows on other monitors are not restored. This is a simple minimal function and normally easy to implement. Even if you move the ATC window to another screen, the size is not restored. Please please implement this minimum of functionality in the next release.

Sure! So what I do is launch borderless gaming (free). Choose Flight Simulator from the list on the left. Settings are “Set Window Size”. In my case, I have three monitors at 1920 x 1080 so my X position for the single window is -1920. Width is 5760 (3 x 1980) and Y position is 1080. Then I go into MSFS and set it to “Windowed” and my window size to 5760x1080. It’s been a while since I set this up but I’m pretty sure that’s all I did. If you don’t see 5760x1080 I think there was something else I had to do to make Windows see that as a valid resolution. I can look at what I did if you can’t make that part work.

I have two additional monitors in my dashboard. For the macro for Streamdeck, I used BarRaider’s “Windows Mover”. I have a button called “Move to L Screen” that takes the currently focused window, selects my left dashboard monitor, sets x and y to 0,0 and Maximizes it. I have a different button for the right monitor. So when I get in the plane, I pop out the displays I want (L Alt click) click the magnifying glass to pop them into their own windows, then activate one, push the stream deck button and off it goes.

Here’s a picture of the setup when everything is in place.

As you can see, no windows border. The only border shown in the pic is because I was in MSFS Dev mode.

Edit: One bummer with this setup is that every time MS bumps the version number, I need to re-set up Borderless Gaming. I haven’t found a way around that yet.

5 Likes

Thank you for the explanation. A very clever setup with the secondary monitors.

I run 3 monitors with Nvidia Surround and full screen, so no border. Is there an advantage to windowed with no border?

I won’t bore you with the details because I honestly don’t know if I’ll remember them all but if memory serves, nvidia surround doesn’t support monitors that are rotated. Because of the funky way my monitors are made, they won’t mount in my cockpit right side up. So they’re all upside down. I think that’s how I got to this place. I’ve honestly been futzing with it for quite a while before I settled on this solution so I can’t remember all the stuff that didn’t work.

It is a real pain when either the nvidia graphics driver gets updated or MSFS gets updated. Either of those require some re-set up for either MSFS or borderless gaming.

Now correct me if I’m wrong, the only reason it’s something like third is because that’s the order when sorted by amount of votes from the community. Not because it’s their third priority