My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2

I’ve forgotten to add the following:

Settings Backup / Restore

Should you want to experiment with my settings but you’d like to keep a backup copy of your own settings, the Graphics Settings are saved in a json file in the following folder on your system:

C:\Users\your_login_name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_#############\LocalCache\

UserCfg.opt

You can make a copy of this file for backup and copy it back to revert!

3 Likes

Maybe a high worker density explains why they will calmly walk into a spinning prop.

7 Likes

My understanding is that when you run 2160 screen resolution at a render scaling of 70 your effective screen resolution becomes 2160 x 0.7 = 1512.
I see this most obviously when running 1080 at render scaling of 50 (giving me 540 screen resolution). The difference between 50 and 100 is very obvious when looking at the gauge rendering.

1 Like

My stuttering in this sim is sim is not I/O or vram related
The stuttering in this sim I find is coming from my cpu when all my cores hit 100%
I’m surprised how well vram is managed in this sim.Rarely have vram issues.CPU utilization is the main issue for me.

The exact render buffer resolution is displaying with the FPS window in developer mode. I don’t remember exactly what the WxH is but it is slightly above WQHD resolution IIRC.

Whenever you’re rendering to a smaller render resolution and you’re displaying the render buffer on a larger surface (the back buffer at the same size as your monitor), this goes through a filtering process (most often bilinear filtering) which is inherently ‘blending’ nearby pixels and is therefore lowering sharpness. This is becoming marginally visible starting at 80% and gets more visible as you’re reducing the scaling below it.

If using a 4K monitor you might want to also try out 50% because in this case, every single rendered pixel is displaying over 4 monitor pixels and you don’t loose as much clarity while still getting a better picture than running 1080p on your 4K monitor.

This ‘blending’ when using any non integral scaling factor is supposedly compensated I presume with the FS2020 default Shapening post-processing effect but I suspect this is applied to the render buffer, not the back buffer, and it is therefore not as effective as I’d expect. This is the reason why I’m also using the NVidia CPL Sharpen setting to compensate the loss of clarity when using 70% and the end result is really neat to me.

1 Like

CPU is also intensively used with the Javascript engine upon which all the UI and the EFIS are implemented. This is clearly showing up when you dig into the different discussions like this one:

Small JS config file mod to gain 10/15+ FPS in airliners and glass cockpit planes

From my tests I concur VRam is well managed but there are some combinations of settings which are oversubscribing the VRam and Shader units budget from time to time and causing therefore stutters.

For example I find FS2020 VRam allocation strategy less predictive than XP11 in Vulkan and this shows when you’re making a fast turn and the simulator has to load assets for the next frame for things which were out of view. This is a cause of stutters as well which I get less often in XP11 for example.

During my experiments I’ve also noticed a form of “prioritization” of gfx resources and sometimes the engine was cutting the rendering of some elements so that others would display instead and this was contrary to what you’d expect (see my comment about buildings and draw distance).

This is why I’ve for now chosen this combination of settings which is maximizing to me what’s important for the pilot (4K, render distance, details, clarity, cockpit elements) while keeping the rendering budget within my target FPS boundaries (smooth enough, no stutters).

1 Like

Hi great info plan on trying tonight with Sony 4k 43" ultra - you talk about render scaling - how do i do that - like to try it - thanks much

This is the 70% line just above TAA in the screenshot above.

1 Like

Thanks much Buddy I never noticed that it doesnt change resolution correct ? what exactly is it doing ? thanks

it is written in my post:

You might want to read all of it and my other answers in the discussion for additional details.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Interested to hear how you added the game to your Nvidia settings, every time I do that I get a warning saying I do not have permission.

I’m not sure I’ve done anything at all. I believe just selecting “show only programs found on this computer” was sufficient.

Otherwise, if you’re running FS2020, close it, then open the NVidia CPL and click Add, it might be appearing at the top of the list when you select “Recently Used”.

Tried all those! Do you have MS Store version or Steam? Guessing it’s something to do with MS’s protection.

Edit: found it! Was in the drop down. No idea how I missed that before, thanks anyway!

I use the MS Store version, glad you’ve found it!

Thank you very much for settings - work very well didnt try 4k yet just LG 32" gaming monitor so on 4k will prob be amazing - your the best

1 Like

I thank you for your kind words and I’m glad this is helping.

Please note these are tailored for 4K with the 2070S.

This is the whole point of Nvidia CPL Sharpening + 70% render scaling + other settings to try managing the number of GFX resources in the video card and render frame budget, with an emphasis on what is most important for the pilot: the instruments and the view at a distance.

When running in 1K I wouldn’t set render scaling below 100% for example and I could certainly raise some other settings instead.

1 Like

@CptLucky8 Thank you for this post. While I’m not using 4K these settings minus the Sharpening and reduced Render scaling are working well at 2056/1600.
Previous to using these I was at High settings defaulted but started seeing stutters on fast movements after recent updates.
As soon as I saved these setting I could hear the GPU ramping up.
Happy Flying!
P.S. System: i7-10700K / 32GB RAM / NVIDIA Titan X (2015).

1 Like

Thank you for your kind word and feedback! I’m glad this is helping you.

Since my initial post, I’ve further made a few comparisons about the NVidia CPL settings and found some interesting bits which are further confirming my choice of video card settings so far. More on this later!

This is a good guide. I found your suggestions well thought out and align quite well with my experience (3700x + 2060S).

One thing I want to mention is that after patch 2, I need to tweak my settings again because of the changes to visual & performance. I even increased LOD above 200% in the UserCfg.opt.

1 Like