My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2

CptLucky8, I have a 2070S now, and your suggestions have helped. Thank you very much,
Mark

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, I’m glad this is helping!

Same here I am getting between 40-50 FPS. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback too!

Great guide! Also thanks for your mod that corrected building heights.

Apologies if this has been answered, but what would your settings be for 1440p with a 2070s? Or the same with a higher rendering scale?

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words! With a 2070S in 2K you can run with higher settings but when I’ve tried I’ve found out there is a narrow edge which makes the simulator spending the right amount of CPU and GPU time.

As a matter of fact I’ve also validated some of these settings in comparing in 1K and 2K in order to try detecting what is most dependent on fill-rate (number of pixels X shader ops per-pixel) and what is dependent on CPU and VRAM bus speed (computing then transferring vertex data and textures).

I believe these settings are still a good basis to get started because they’re trying to balance all the available power available among both CPU and GPU, while leaving some leeway to prevent too much fps drop in most demanding cases. You’ll get a smoother and more stable fps experience with these in a wider variety of places.

Then you can try raising what is most affecting per-pixel shader code: you have less pixels to display in 2K vs 4K and the GPU has therefore additional room for this. This is typically texture resolution, terrain level of detail, volumetric clouds eventually. All the other settings in my opinion don’t need to be pushed further because this won’t show much difference but will take some of the precious resources.

1 Like

Thanks CptLucky8,
I’ve been following this thread for a couple of days now and even tho I have slightly less powerful specs, most of the settings you suggested are hitting the “sweet spot”. As you already mentioned, every system (even with the exact same specs) will have a different result. But still it’s good to notice the improvement.
I hope you’ll keep up experimenting in the direction you chose.

Happy landings and stay safe :wink:

1 Like

thank you for your kind words! I’m glad this is helping others get the most of their FS2020!

2 Likes

This has been the most helpful thread for addressing the FPS issue. I have a evga 2070s and I-7 10700K at stable 4.8 4.9 on all cores. I tried all the in game settings with only minimal impact to FPS. Forme the key to improvement was in the Nvidia CP that I had never thought about before. Seeing at least 25% increase in FPS at JFK flying the heavy, just from tinkering with the NVCP settings. Running 1080P mostly Highend settings.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, this will help others with similar configuration too!

Great information @CptLucky8 , I have an 8700k and 1080ti and these settings gave great performance and visual improvements. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for this.
Just flown into San Francisco in the TBM. fps above 80 all the way.
And a short hop from Gatwick to London City, with addon London Landmarks and addon London City airport well above 70 fps all the way.
And everything looks great!
So many thanks

i9-9900k
RTX2080Ti
Dell 4K display running 3840x2160 @ 60Hz

1 Like

My MSF 2020 is the one on DVD, where the executable (Micosoftflightsimulator.exe) is found to be able to make the changes in the nvidia configuration. Thank you

This is already answered above:

regarding your below statement, does this include monitors that are Gsync compatible or only full blown GSync monitors? “The best sync implementation would be freesync/gsync, as it is still active at lower framerates, but this requires a monitor supporting it.”

both, i use a gsync compatible

The most amazing thing to me about the settings in your guide, especially the settings within MSFS is that just looking at them I would think that they would look terrible! In actuality they look better than the Ultra preset IMO, and at twice the framerate (for me anyway.) I went from 24 fps to 50 fps in a busy area with weather! Thank you!!

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! I’m glad this is helping!!

I just wanted to add my thanks for your guide.

My system is on the lower end as far as capabilities go, but using your settings I was able to up my resolution from 1080 to 1440–and the result is better than what I had before, with a lot of the settings lower to gain FPS.

Thanks again!

Thank you for sharing! I’m glad you’ve been able to raise the resolution because it is worth it!

1 Like