My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2

Nvidia sharpen off in game sharpen off

Nvidia sharpen on 0.10 strength in game off
present time I will live with it off

1 Like

Please note my post is first and foremost for 4K with the 2070S for which I explain the rationale using the Nvidia CPL Sharpen filter and disabling the FS2020 Sharpen post-processing effect.

The main reason for this is because in order to gain fps and to balance visuals the 2070S in 4K runs much better with TAA 70%. However at 70% rendering size it gets inherently blurry. The purpose of the Nvidia CPL Sharpen setting when taken not in isolation but globally with all other settings I’ve recommended is to restore just what’s necessary of the sharpness lost with TAA 70%.

1 Like

Clear. I am even back to no sharpening at all. Feels the best right now.

Cool thread! Thanks for the work, saved me a lot of time to find me the best settings with my rig.
Am running this on a i8700k with a ROG Strix 2070 (no super) on 4k, and with the settings mentioned over here, I got an excellent performance.
BUT

I wanted to stretch my settings towards ultra a little more, therefor I thought to start with a fps limit of 20fps (which is perfectly ok with me) in the Nvidia cp.

My GPU is now running on a 55% (instead of 100% and appr. 35fps when I do not have this limit), and is only 54degrees celsius, with 6gb (of a total of 8) of its memory being used.
So I would say, I can add some ultras in the screen… however…

I do see (only in cockpit view) randomly flickering black rectangles in my screen, only in ‘the outside’ (so not on my cockpit itself, but in the sky / ground textures).
When I go to the full outside view I do not see them, only inside my plane.

Does anybody know what this phenomenon is called/how to solve it (yeah, yeah, to release the fps limiter ;))?

I do not have this with other (sim) games, nor when I release the limit on the fps. So I am a bit suprised, cause my GPU is not stretched anymore now, and should have time enough/resources enough to avoid this.

Thanks in advance!
Great topic!

I’m glad this guide is helping people with diverse CPU/GPU configurations and I thank you for sharing this!

As for the graphics visual glitch, do you mean without the limiter it is fine, but with the NVidia limiter you get flickering? Are these flickering white dots over black surfaces so much so you can infer polygonal shapes from the series of dots? If so this would be a seam between ground polygons showing up and I’ve seen a couple few lately over Long Island at night. Otherwise this might be dependent on the driver version (know bug solved in a later driver update), otherwise it is just a bug showing up in this particular case.

Given you can push to 35 fps, you might want to consider settling in between in limiting fps to 30 in the simulator settings instead of 20 in NVidia CPL.

Thanks for yr reply!

Attached a screenshot with the black rectangles. I am not experiencing this in the outside view (outside the plane), only when I am in the cockpit, and then only in the part where the scenery is, not on the plane itself or the cockpit.

I tried on 30fps and enountered less black dots, so indeed I am considering to go to 30fps (while the ultra settings are less important as the current settings are stunning anyway).

With regards to the rectangles, I am just curious what it can be. Its not REALLY blocking, but it isn’t normal either.

Cheers!

These resemble what you’d get with defective VRam cells, or this is just a bug in FS2020 shader code. Are you using the exact same FS2020 settings I’ve posted, verbatim?

Jep. Had exactly the same properties as you have, except for the last part, the change of the configuration file. Strange thing is that all of a sudden during a flight, it dissappeared every now and then.
Even during landing, where almost all of my vram is used (7.5gb). No issue at all.

As said earlier, I used your settings as a starting point, and with 20fps I had plenty of room left to upscale some settings. Therefor I put the Anisotropic filtering to 16x and the Supersampling to 8x8. Just to put my memory even more to its limit.
No issue at all at 20fps now - and full Vram, and theb GPU is not running at 100% (am impressed of this 2070). Therefor I doubt that it is a Vram issue - even more, that I only have in 1 particular view, and not in other games, desktop enviornment, or the cockpit part.

BTW - I experienced these issues earlier as well, after the #update 3 some 4 weeks ago. So lets not spend too much time on it anymore, even more that I have the settings even better now, and dont see it anymore… Strange issue it is.

So thank you very much for your time, I really appreciate it, but let’s not spoil this topic with this (individual issue) anymore I think - cause its not your settings, they are good!

Cheers!

1 Like

It seems pretty hard to make a decision when you see so many different settings recommendations.
Some people recommend not to use the Nvidia CPL at all. I usually try the settings to try and find the sweet spot, but every time the come up with a new update I loose my settings. I just don’t understand why that happens since in many other games I don’t have to worry about that because the settings don’t change. I think my system is more than good for the sim and yet, after the last update, I’m having performance issues. My Nvidia 2080 super should run this sim pretty well. I have the sim installed on a dedicated internal SSD 1TB, and my CPU is a i9-9900K and 32GB RAM. My monitor is a Samsung 49 inch ultrawide and the native res 5120 x 1440 and the refresh rate is 120Hz.
The sim default is “high end” and it was pretty decent at the beginning, but it seems to me is getting harder on my system with each update in my opinion.

1 Like

You are right, there are so many recommendations it is hard to choose one which may suit your needs. However the good news is that it is rather easy and it only takes a few minutes to change one’s configuration and trying out. The only comment I can give about my suggestions is that they are based on assumptions about both the NVidia CPL settings and the simulator settings, when combining these globally from all angles (CPL, simulator, OS).

Now I’ve said they are only based on assumptions, however, these assumptions are based on an understanding on how hardware and software are working together in the system and how the simulator is using these resources in its rendering engine. I’ve also documented the reasoning between each of these settings so that you can also make your own judgement, and as importantly, this give you the opportunity to further the discussion and knowledge when my assumptions are plain wrong.

In all cases you can always use these settings as a known documented basis upon which you grow your own preferences. Having said this, I’m having exactly the results I was expecting with the settings and in sharing this information, this discussion is proving helping a lot of other people too. This certainly is giving these settings some credit!

Thanks I will play with settings a bit and see how it goes.

1 Like

Thanks to CaptLucky I have regained my FPS that I previously had prior to the latest patch.

To me it does seem like the LOD has gotten increased for trees, especially photogrammetry ones. Anyone else notice this? I believe that’s where I took the biggest hits on my FPS after the last patch dropped.

1 Like

I was using CptLucky8 settings with great results but like many find the most recent update makes everything too sharp. Also getting strange mottling artifact in some clouds.
So these are my latest settings. Still great performance, most things look better, and cloud problem much less though still can occur…
Richard

1 Like

Hello, just my experience: after rod some post about the Nvidia control panel, I had the MFAA enable in NCP global settings so I disabled this feature and bingo. I use a Track IR v5 with Track Clip Pro and before disabling the MFAA settings, I got several artefacts when the TIR was activated in game but since I disabled MFAA in NCP, no more artefacts appears it is just fine with tanked FPS to 30 and a MSFS graphics settings to global average High settings with Vsync OFF because I have Gsync monitor and use a windowed streched windows over three monitors at 3840x1400 res screen. All is working fine now. Thank you so much to those talking about MFAA which was the culprit. Done.

2 Likes

Any advices on how to get rid of micro-stutters?

I have a i9-10900k, rtx3090, 4k.
I’m experiencing stutters on the ground as well in the air.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you,

Well, do you mean you do have micro-stutters when applying the settings recommended in this discussion?

@CptLucky8 I noticed that under PostProcess in the UserCfg.opt there is a FilmGrain setting and it is 1 in my system.
Since we are setting that on NCP, should we disable this?

I didn’t find this setting was doing anything in the simulator when I had tried a while back. It might be a placeholder for a future version, or anything else. The NVidia CPL setting is rather a noise filter which is meant to reduce the noise prior sharpening.

1 Like

Yes sir, I did everything except changing the sharpening on the cfg file.

I have a i9-10900k / rtx3090/ 4k monitor free-sync(but it seems like free-sync is not working)

I can’t seem to find what is causing me these stutters.
My frame rate is somewhat descent 30-60.

Render Scale : 100
Terrain Vector Data: 150
Objects level of detail: 150

AI/Multiplayer: OFF

Including this?

Apart from this, the other reason you could get micro-stutters is when the simulator is loading assets from disk, like the objects / scenery displaying ahead or when turning around a little too fast.

Otherwise maybe Low Latency Mode ON and Vertical Sync FAST are not appropriate with the 3090 ?!