My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2

Thanks for the reply. I don’t really understand all this stuff and I am already becoming aware of more things than I ever wanted to, however although my Windows screen settings are at 5120 x 1440 native resolution and also set the same in Nvidia control panel, I did not mention that I had lowered the in-game Full Screen Resolution to 3840 x 1080 Windowed, if that makes any difference. The G9 has a utility that can be used to divide the screen into sections, and as I have a very wide screen I prefer to run MSFS windowed and locked in the centre with a narrow section each side for pop out instruments, comms, nav charts etc. I notice that popping out the Cessna 172 Garmin G1000 panels actually seems to increase FPS. I note your comments and welcome any suggestions for improvement. I do not know what I should alter, there are so many settings in different places.

Tried these settings on my 2070 super . Must say I was skeptical but am very very impressed with this . Thank You very much . Nice to fly to big airliners into jfk without a hitch !

2 Likes

[update added in the 1st post]

[Update 16NOV2020 - Win10 20H2]

Changes:

• update system and software items in introduction.
  • update NVidia CPL screenshots, comments.
  • added Win10 Graphics Settings

I’ve further adjusted my settings because I’ve now updated to Win10 20H2. I get marginal fps gain and they should be fine in VR. The most notable change is:

With the latest NVidia drivers 457.30 and Win10 20H2, I’ve found it is now better setting Threaded Optimization ON. (with older versions of drivers and simulator, threaded optimization was having an impact on my system and was better off).

I’ve also added the Win10 Graphics Settings screenshot because it is also important to set VRS there too.

1 Like

I have very positive results with nVidia Experience “Game Filter” which allows correcting sharpness, brightness, color temp. and the other post processing parameters on the fly. This way I can see the effect in real time when playing with the parameters. I can also correct if the scenery is too dark or too bright, execlty like I would do when developing RAW in Lightroom or Photoshop.
To avoid oversharpening I set the sharpening in the UserCfg.opt to zero and apply sharpening dynamically in the “Game Filter”.

Please disregard the actual image quality, I posted the screen to show the example of available options in the Game Filter, without actually optimizing the appearance of this particular scene.

2 Likes

@stekusteku Thank you for sharing the tip, it is warmer indeed!

Since you’re reducing highlights this much (I see RAW development background here :wink: ) you might want to explore setting both EyeAdaptation and ColorGrading to 0 in UserCfg.opt instead.

As for sharpness to each his own of course, but although I used to disable it in the UserCfg.opt file and compensated 70% TAA induced blurriness with NVidia CPL setting (because the simulator PostProcess effect was too strong/buggy), I’m now really pleased with the in-game setting and I’ve disabled the NVidia CPL one instead, especially since they’re now using the CAS shader for this which is giving really good results. I just wish they would be offering a slider to adjust the CAS sharpness from 0 to 1 though.

[updated: typo, thanks @stekusteku]

Thank you for the hint for EyeAdaptation and ColorGrading.

My FPS increased from 50fps to 55fps in reference to my previous screenshot above. Thanks for sharing this new info!

1 Like

Before:

After:

hi
What is Win10 20H2 and how do I update to this?

I’m glad it working for others too! 10% FPS increase is not insignificant!

Have you tried searching the internet:

It allows one to set all the lighting settings to ultra or increase RS from 130% to RS:140% using a 1080p monitor on a rig similar to mine.

1 Like

You’re basically updating your windows, I personally googled it and it was in bold at the top of the search, so you definitely won’t miss it. Also don’t forget to change the graphic settings mentioned above after updating.

1 Like

hi i googled it but did not see the option to download and install.

Sure you won’t get a download link, however, you can search first what it is about in reading the various links you favorite search engine gives you. Please click the link I’ve provided to find such relevant results, and maybe, just maybe, you’ll also find some directions about where/how to download and install it.

I tried it a while ago, I’ve turned it off since to get a couple fps back (old video card), the only thing I’m really missing is the “Color” filter, I used “Tint Color” : 30 and “Tint Intensity” : 15 to get rid of the overall greenish cast of the default FS colors.

Settting Colorgrading to 0 in the UserCfg.opt file is also something I wouldn’t part with. :slight_smile:

Strange thing: With the newest nVidia drivers the FPS limiter in the nVidia control panel is no longer obeyed by the sim with 3070.

Oh, that’s not good. That as one setting I was using to stop the main menu from melting my GPU.

It works in my sim, see screenshots above.

thanks for those tips, this discussion helped me a lot with my GPU (GTX 1070Ti), now there is no need anymore to upgrade the GPU (i use 2k resolution all the time), stuttering and juddering is almost eliminated!

1 Like