My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

PCI USB card can be had for $20, and I had to use it for G2 to be recognized, AND set all PCI to GEN3 in BIOS to eliminate blue screens and audio dropouts. I’m afraid the only way to eliminate this very probable issue is to do both. Or you can try a powered USB 3.0 hub. It has other uses too. I bought it as well, just in case.

1 Like

Just bought a G2 tonight and then found this topic. This will be a life saver as I have the exact same system specs except for a 10700k instead of a 9700k.

Thanks for the time and effort put into testing this and then documenting it for everyone. I’ll definitely be checking back here next week when the G2 arrives.

Cheers

1 Like

One thing I’ve read at reddit and I’ve tried out at the beginning when I was getting some failures with the G2 and the USB, was reversing the G2 USB-C plug by 180deg. This connector type has no specific orientation but it seems the G2 one only has pins on 1 side, and it could be causing false contacts.

The first day I’ve got the G2 I’ve used the USB-C connected on the motherboard and it was immediately working, but shortly afterward I was getting the typical G2 detection errors. I’ve ended up using the USB-C to USB-A adaptor and with this, there was one orientation of the USB-C cable from the G2 working reliably, and the other orientation causing sometimes the detection errors.

Edit: I’ve changed my mind about reprojection: My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Alright, I’ve been at this for days now, and I’m very happy with things and thought I’d do a data dump which may be useful for people with similar specs.

My specs - notes
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X PBO on, SMT off, curve optimizer -10 all cores
Memory 2x16gb 4ghz kit, running at 3600, FCLK 1800 (1:1)
GPU RTX 3090 FE +150 core, +200 mem, 114 power limit, 90 temp limit
Motherboard Crosshair VIII Dark Hero G2 needs to be in a gen 1 USB port (blue), not gen 2 (red)
Storage 2x2TB m.2 NVME
NVIDIA settings -
Drivers 457.30
GSYNC OFF
Power management mode Prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering - Quality Performance

Everything else default
VSYNC OFF in drivers and FS2020

Windows settings -
Game mode OFF
HAGS OFF
VRR OFF (shouldn’t matter)
OpenXR Dev Tools -
Use latest preview ON
Customized render scale 70%
Motion Reprojection Auto
WMR settings -
Adjust level of detail… Low
Change app window… 720p
Experience options, Change Best visual quality
Adjust display resolution 4320x2160 (best quality)
Frame rate 90 Hz

FS2020 Settings

Optional rambling (mostly about reprojection)

Since this thread is heavy on theory, I wanted to make the first part my tl;dr and then let people dive into my ramblings if they want to.

My lightbulb moment centered around motion reprojection. Once I got this nailed down, I went from “I guess this’ll work for lessons” to “I just want to fly all weekend”. In a way, reprojection makes tweaking FS2020 for VR a very simple, binary experience. Basically, with reprojection enabled, VR either works or it doesn’t. You can kind of stop paying attention to what your framerate is.

Reprojection has a fairly significant cost (though totally worth it in my opinion), and if you don’t know this and/or don’t know how to verify if it’s working properly or not, you’re gonna have a bad time.

There’s a setting in the OpenXR Developer Tools, Display frame timing overlay. If you tick this checkbox, you should see a box in the middle of your left eye next time you’re in FS2020 VR. The box will either blue or red. If it’s blue, reprojection is working. If it’s red, it’s not working, at least not optimally. You’ll notice it shows the reprojection frame time, and for me it was like 3.5ms.

With a headset running at 90 Hz and reprojection capable of inserting 2 frames, 30 FPS is the magic number, which will be obvious to anyone who’s spent any time sifting through this thread. The 3.5ms is over 10% of your frametime budget, so you have to stop paying attention to FPS numbers and start focusing on whether or not your reprojection is working by looking at the color of the frame timing overlay.

In-game graphics settings can have a significant impact on performance, but in my experience, not nearly as much as the in-game render resolution and the OpenXR render scale. You can crank all your settings down and have a blue box almost all the time (whipping your head to the left or right will give you a red blip no matter what). Or you can crank your settings all the way up and have an almost permanently red box. There’s a gray area in between where you have lots of room to tweak, and there’s room for personal preference.

It’s good to realize that sitting on the ground in FS2020 is the 2nd most performance intensive situation you can be in FS2020. The 1st most intensive is the 15 seconds after you rotate off the runway. I used JFK for all my test runs since that’s known to be a taxing area. If you insist on a permanently blue box, then you may be leaving a lot of eye-candy on the table. I’d recommend shooting for a mostly blue box, with no red while you’re just looking straight forward or swiveling your head at non-whiplash rates. If you have some occasional red blips, don’t worry about it. I personally aimed for solid blue for most of my ground time, and 99% of my time above 500ft. I don’t know why, but once you’re up in the air, FS2020 is a lot more chill.

@CptLucky8, thanks so much for all your work. I used all your posts as the basis for most of my tweaking. I feel like the least we can do is start a GoFundMe for CptLucky’s 3080. I am amazed you’ve sqeezed as much as you have out of that 2070S. The G2 just has so many pixels to drive😅

13 Likes

I think it’s time for dynamic rendering/quality adjustments of the game for optimal VR target FPS - maybe based on frametimes or cpu/gpu usage and things like that.

I have created an entry in the wish list for this:

1 Like

Interesting, I have similar PC specs, but ended with different configs, and also have great experience (while yours is mostly uniform high, I have some on ultra, and some on medium or low):

Ryzen 9 5950X, 4x16GB at 3600, MSI Ventus RTX 3090 OC, MSI MEG X570 ACE, m.2 NVME storages, Windows 10 20H2. G2 connected to front USB 3 port via adapter (other ports did not work).

NVidia settings as in original post in this thread, driver 457.30.

Windows settings
Game mode - off, HAGS - off, VRR - don’t have such option.
Graphics performance settings - select MSFS, choose High performance.

OpenXR Dev Tools
Use latest preview - on,
Customized render scale - 100%
Motion Reprojection - off

FS2020 Settings

I have 50 fps during Nevada/Patagonia bush trips (with cloudy weather), 45 fps in GA above Sydney suburban area 1500 feet above ground (with clear sky) and similar in Sydney CBD (ORBX scenery), 35 fps in Sydney International airport (by FlyTampa).

1 Like

I’ve had weird issues too with the USB-C connection on my 2080Ti. I have a 1000 watt power supply and I have quite a few devices plugged into my PC. But every now and then I would lose one of my internal hard drives. The drive letter would just disappear and only a reboot would bring it back. I’m using the USB-C to USB-A adaptor now and I have no further issues. I wonder if using the USB-C port on the GPU increases power usage somehow.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I might take a chance on a pci card. Any make/model suggestions?

i can recommend any Fresco Logic Based USB Card from Inateck but surely others will work fine as well

2 Likes

I’d support this - it’s been a huge effort, and one very much appreciated!

5 Likes

In my case I got a very cheap “ELUTENG PCIE USB 3.0 Card” with 4 ports on Amazon. Some people got card that have separate power connection, but this one doesn’t. However in my case ASUS Prime x570-p did not recognize G2 in any of its USB ports, but this card reliably works. I still need to set PCI to GEN3 in BIOS to not get the occasional blue screens though. But just doing this without the card doesn’t help.

2 Likes

I just tested the following USB 3.0 Powered hub and I can confirm it’s detecting the headsed too: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07R97MKQF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will test for stability, but this hub is useful regardless of G2.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I’ll get one of these cards and hopefully this will resolve things.

i would totally support a “RTX3080 for @CptLucky8” Campaign!

3 Likes

So the new nvidia driver is still not working correctly for MSFS 2020 VR right?

it works but 457.30 is smoother experience with less stutter

2 Likes

I second cyberceno/Cptlucky. I tried them all… several time… it’s exhausting :slight_smile: 457.30 still the “winner” for me.

1 Like

Does that disabling hardware accelerated gpu scheduling apply also for non vr flying?

You might want to read this then:
My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2

NB: some might be outdated since my VR settings discussions and finding but most is still very relevant.

I’m going to go ahead and eat some crow and say I’ve changed my mind about reprojection. I think it’s easy to get tunnel vision when you’ve loaded up the same Kennedy Int’l flight about 700 times for testing purposes.

Last night I realized I didn’t have the latest world update installed. I installed it and saw the new Alaska bush flight. Fired that up with my G2 and Honeycomb gear. Even running TAA 70 / OpenXR 70 with all high settings, there was something really bothering me about 30 minutes into what was supposed to be this beautiful sightseeing trip. It was annoying to look in the cockpit, it was annoying to look outside. It was generally nice, but nothing to write home about.

I decided to turn off reprojection and crank all my MSFS settings up to ultra. The Alaska bush trip turned into a religious experience. If you don’t whip your head around side to side, or put your eyes up to the stick and strafe left and right, the motion experience is nearly identical. The visual experience was much different. I was able to run at TAA 80 / OpenXR 100, all MSFS settings maxed at 35+ FPS. I think the Terrain LOD setting to 200 made a big difference in how interesting the ground looks from bush flight altitude.

One thing that I don’t think I weighed properly with my first tests was the artifacts introduced by reprojection. I was focusing mostly on propeller distortion and wing+runway distortion. These are really not that bad if you have the right drivers and you’re able to keep enough resource headroom for OpenXR reprojection. However, there’s what I would call a shimmering and a blurring that happens with reprojection that just exhausted my mind and eyes after spending more than a few minutes in the air. It’s hard to describe. Like you’re wearing glasses with vaseline smeared onto the lenses.

I still think reprojection is the way to go for some circumstances. Or maybe it’s the only way to go for some people. But I think I’ll be flying with it off most of the time.

3 Likes