My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Thanks for the tip. I might be making a contribution here to the Journal of Irreproducible Results but I found your suggestion helpful and I think an improvement over the settings I was using, 100/100.

I’ve only been through my settings once or twice so fingers crossed that everything holds up. But rendering at 70% TAA in the sim and 150% SS in OXR works if I turn the WMR Headset Display frame rate down from 90 Hz to 60 Hz. Otherwise, black at the side when I turn my head and everything stutters. I only have an RTX 2070S (8 Gb VRAM). i9-9900K(4.7 GHz), 32 Gb 2666 MHz RAM, 1 Tb non-system 970 EVO Plus ~devoted to SIM). 100 Gb rolling cache.

The 70/150 setting seems to work better if I run MSFS windowed for some reason in 2D mode (even though it’s not in VR mode!). Reprojection is off, too. Game Mode and limiting frame rate in Nvidia CPL don’t help nor does hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling.

I’m running terrain and object LOD at 100 and my settings are as previously described except I turned Ambient Occlusion and Contact Shadows OFF, set Texture Supersampling back to 2x2 and Texture Synthesis back to MEDIUM. Otherwise as here: New Nvidia Driver 461.40 - #62 by JALxml

The interesting thing about 70/150 at 90 Hz is when a frame freezes, the screen picture is REALLY sharp. So I wonder if the perceived problem in sharpness with the G2 is the lack of a smooth uniform transition between frames and that’s why for me that 70/150 at 60 Hz seems sharper than 100/100 at 60 Hz, because (ignorance may be showing here), 100/100 is trying to operate at full resolution but 75/150 takes advantage of post-processing upscaling and has a smoother transition between frames because it’s not so hung up computing a full-resolution frame?

None of this may hold up tomorrow when I try it again but I would say the overall scene, not just the sweet spot, definitely looks sharper at 70/150 than 100/100 (but not “crystal clear,” as you say for the 3090, sigh!). I was making comparisons flying the ICON A5 out in the country over mountainous terrain near Mann Gulch, MT, and the comparison for me is easiest to make in drone camera view behind the plane (END key for me). I think in the cockpit that the windshield glare, curvature, etc., makes it hard to judge the pure scenery view and going outside the plane is better for making comparisons. Comparisons were made by restarting a spawned-in-the-air .FLT flight after exiting and restarting the sim. For testing hardware accelerated GPU scheduling, I rebooted the computer after any changes.

2 Likes