My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Well my windows updates got stuck, so i had to do an inplace upgrade (unsure if related), afterwards i even tried reinstalling msfs20 to be safe, lost alot of settings, put them back in, now after all this, i cant get my g2 headset to work smoothly anymore, i have it on render scale 90 and oxr at 50, this worked fine in the same situation before, now it a stuttery juddery mess and blacking in and out of vr. I even reinstalled the 457.30 driver in clean mode, same deal.

@Ianrivsmith, could be I suppose. I was thinking it was the OXR update, but I guess it could also be some of both.

Regardless, Iā€™ll take it, and go back for seconds if possible! Itā€™s a pretty stout increase, if we can get some Nvidia specific drivers and more optimizations from the sim itself, we may see my 2070 Super return to itā€™s status that it had before the 30-series ā€œcame outā€. But the reality is, for us regular people, it STILL ainā€™t out, and even the 20-series cards are really hard to find at a reasonable price. That may help me if I get that ā€œbuy it now or forever hold your peaceā€ moment for a 3080, but Iā€™m still thinking Iā€™ll be better off waiting for a 3080 Super or even a 40-series, neither of which even exist yet except in peopleā€™s imaginations.

On which Windows update you were stuck? I have similar issue.

Just saying thank you for this. Such a difference!

1 Like

It was kb4601319 Nothing i tried (and followed many guides) cured it. The inplace upgrade did, but like I said now im hosed, msfs20 vr + g2 headset is a mess (i may need to revisit if iā€™m missing nvidia settings etc).

Iā€™m at 19042.804 for windows 10 build + the latest gaming services app 2.50.18001.0 (it could just be the latest gs update that hosed vr, i need to redo the steps to force 2.50.00 and see)

Iā€™m stuck on the same update, but I not managed so apply it. I will probably postpone my attempts to apply it thenā€¦

My Windows updates got stuck also. I tried everything, nothing working until I found a posting from a guy who checked, that many people got stuck after they received their brand new headsets and installed WMR for the first time. Guess what? Uninstalling WMR fixed the Windows updates. You can reinstall afterwards.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure at all they did. What are the visible problems you actually see which you think are representative of using the ā€œolder TAAā€ ?

Yes, we are back to the old TAA method, before 1.10.7.0. It is not as good at eliminating jagged edges and it creates more blur, but it is more effective at denoising clouds and shadows. It was probably reverted because with the new one the grain in the clouds was more obvious.

From AVSIM

My ā€˜nakedā€™ eye sees they have corrected the bug in the ā€˜accumulation bufferā€™ which most likely was clamping values and causing ā€˜dark pixel noiseā€™ (just visuals, no perf), and they are probably spreading the computation over slightly more frames with a longer accumulation buffer (perf only).

However I donā€™t think theyā€™ve changed ā€œTAAā€ algorithm for this which has nothing to do with it directly in my opinion. Instead, what I see is they have probably increased the ā€œsharpenā€ value of the CAS Shader.

Do you happen to use any render scaling in FS2020 lower than 100% (aka TAA 100 in this discussion)?

PS: it is not exactly an accumulation buffer but it is just to keep it simple. For more in-depth theory:

I use 80 yes and oxr is at 100.

Hence the CAS Shader Sharpening :wink: Please look in the OP for links to what is the CAS Shader to learn more about this.

Mine is stuck too. You mean uninstall OpenXR Developer Tools for WMR, or the Mixed Reality Portal?

You have to uninstall Windows Mixed Reality Portal. The Windows update error was, that it feels some files are missing. I think you can leave OpenXR alone.

3 Likes

Uninstalled Windows Mixed Reality Portal and rebooted but still the same issue when trying to update.

Some update files are missing or have problems. Weā€™ll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x8007000d)

Not sure where to go from here but just donā€™t worry about the update. It is hard to understand that you would have to uninstall some Windows software do it could do a update. :smiley:

Had the exact same problem and after trying pretty much every advice without success I reinstalled windows, keeping my apps and settings. That was a surprisingly fast process and solved the issue.

1 Like

Download the windows 10 update assistant and try that way

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-10-update-assistant-3550dfb2-a015-7765-12ea-fba2ac36fb3f

Sorrry to hear that. It worked for me. Got the same error code before.

And it tells me ā€œThanks you for updating to the latest version of Windows 10ā€.

This really should not be this hard and re-installing Windows just to get this update is not something I am looking forward to. As long as everything else is working will just not worry about it.

Sorry for this - what does HAGS stand for? Iā€™ve tried to piece it together reading these posts and searched on line but only came up with: Have A Great Summer! plus a bunch of other weird acronymsā€¦

1 Like