My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

All the more opportunity for you or @KevyKevTPA - You guys put me on your future customer list :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hey Captain,

Just wondering because I have the 2070S also, what sort of frame rates are you getting with SU5 in VR with your settings? Is it smooth or choppy?

I noticed recently in 2D that if I add ANY sort of scenery addons into the community folder, it creates choppiness when using TrackIR. Otherwise it is really smooth with SU5 (no scenery addons). Have you noticed this?

Thanks

I couldnā€™t tell whether the settings Iā€™m tuning for VR would work equality well for 2D (TrackIR or not, this is 2D). In general it is though, and since SU5 it gives more headroom in 2D (not much more in VR).

Regarding 3rd party scenery add-ons, well, Iā€™m really not certain they are all equally optimized and this wouldnā€™t surprise me. However Iā€™ve seen a pattern with a few airport which leads me to believing those using either or both terraforming and the ground orthos (donā€™t know which of the two) are causing massive load which is really perceptible in VR.

Iā€™ve also found Ambient Occlusion is taking much more resources in VR when you use Motion Smoothing, and I wouldnā€™t be surprised AO is using a compute shader causing a hit against the compute shader used for motion smoothing.

But this is just speculation, this could be anything else.

2 Likes

Thank you, Captain. I guess my message wasnā€™t very clear. The reason for my first question; I am considering purchasing the Reverb G2 and was wondering if you are happy with the performance now with SU5. In 2D, SU5 seems to have made a marked improvement for me and I was wondering about VR, but it sounds like youā€™re not seeing a ton of improvement.

1 Like

Not a ton indeed: I can crank up a few things with the Index, but the reliability is not as good as before, especially when exiting VR this fails SteamVR 9 times out of 10 (might be due to SteamVR alone though). The other concern I have is that nearly all the VR whish list items and bugs are still ā€œpendingā€, some of them for more than 6 months.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a Reverb G2 with a 5800X/3080 and there was definitely an improvement with SU5 in terms of performance. However, I canā€™t really use the sim at the moment because of this:
Wobbly over-sensitive head movement in VR (different to ASW wobble!)

Only 3 confirmed cases and itā€™s not hardware specific (G2/Quest 2 OpenXR/SteamVR)

@CptLucky8 - apologies, Iā€™m sure everyone gets round to asking you for every single issue, but if youā€™ve got any ideas, Iā€™d be most grateful. I suspect with such a small number of users affected, it wonā€™t be fixed (on purpose, at least) any time soon.

Cheers

2 Likes

Alt+tabā€™ing out of, and into VR triggers the most CTDā€™s easily for me.

Disabling motion smoothing and unchecking the latest preview version of OXR makes ALT+TABā€™ing in and out of VR more reliable.

I was able to do a full flight Gatwick (addon) to LXGB Gibraltar in the latest FBW320. I was able to use the sim rate while I did something else. Came back to the game in 2d, my headset had gone to sleep. I enabled VR again fully expecting a crash but no. Picked right up, flew the approach. Went missed, finally landed and got to the menu and closed the sim gracefully. Sim was on for several hours and in and our of VR. Usually a heavy CTD inducing request.

1 Like

I wish I knew but Iā€™m not even sure to understand what this post is describing LOL

Unless this is related maybe:

A through the lens video would be best for explaining this in my opinion.

No worries - itā€™s kind of hard to put into words :slight_smile:

Itā€™s definitely not the jiggle view rotations.

I actually described my issue later in that thread, and also checked the behaviour with that option on and off, but to no effect.

This video has on the left hand side the WMR mirror, which shows the behaviour, and on the right, the MSFS mirror that doesnā€™t.

This shows better with a video indeed! (I assume you meant on the right for the FS2020 window isnā€™t it?)

However what do you see in the headset? As in the left side or the right side?

Yes - MSFS on the right.

The headset matches the left, although it feels much worse in the headset.

Itā€™s wobbly/jerky and pretty much unusable. Iā€™ve tried to see if itā€™s isolated to a particular axis, but couldnā€™t. If I hold the headset in my hands and turn really slowly then the effect is diminished, hence my description of it being overly sensitive, but it could be laggy, I guess. Hard to describe, hard to tellā€¦

1 Like

New to VR and this topic.

First off, thanks @CptLucky8 for your great work here. Amazingly helpful as Iā€™m totally new to VR (which is jus amazing by the way!)

I;m having very good results with the Reverb G2. Iā€™ve found it much better not using motion reprojection - I get a lot of juddering/stuttering when I do this, and find it smoother and clearer without. I find the cockpit can judder a bit on fast head movement, but the distant scenery is rock solid.

My settings are in line with the original post at the top of the thread, but tweaked up a little as my rig is a little more powerful.

i9 10900K, RTX 3080, 64Gb RAM

Iā€™m using 70% render scaling in OXR. In game settings are:

I find this is giving very good results.

I have a couple of issues though that Iā€™m not sure if anyone can give any advice over.

Sometimes the mouse disappears and I canā€™t get it back. The only way Iā€™ve found so far is to ALT-TAB to another window and click back on the VR mirror window. Sometimes works, sometimes not - sometimes needs to be done 3 or 4 times to work. Anyone got an explanation or a better answer?

Colours are lacking in vividness for me - is that common? I see there are some post processing settings in the config.opt file specific to VR - are there any suggested tweaks there that would help improve the colours? Again any suggestions wlecome.

1 Like

Somewhere after the last hotfixes, new Nvidia drivers and OpenXR dev tools update, something has changed: I see a lot of very annoying stuttering that wasnā€™t there before. Between the stutters (which are 1-2 seconds apart) everything is butter-smooth and better than it was before Sim Update V, but now every 1-2 seconds the image just freezes for a couple of frames and then resumes, so the motion is uneven.
I use motion reprojection because I canā€™t stand jittery cockpit without MR. So, for the most part the picture is the smoothest ever, better than it has ever been. But the regular stutters are just killing it. Itā€™s not enjoyable anymore. Iā€™m on 3080, 5900X, 64Gb RAM, Ultra-fast 2Gb SSD and 1Gbit Internet connection, 80 OXR / 100 TAA, medium-high settings, so itā€™s not the resources. Changing settings to mostly low doesnā€™t help stutters at all.

I experienced the same, hence tried without reprojection and found it much better

Hi Roman,

Iā€™m on the same boat regarding MR, canā€™t do without it. I also think something is broken in the way things are rendered. Iā€™m not sure if you agree but to me 80OXR and 100 TAA doesnā€™t look as good/sharp as SU IV was with the same settings. But maybe Iā€™m fooling myself. I do have very long freezes sometimes now, not the stutters you describe.

About motion smoothing hiccups, Iā€™ve posted this a few days ago for the Index. I donā€™t know whether this has an impact with WMR yet, but in case this helps too, here is:

On another subject than configuration, Iā€™ve finally decided to publish my mod for the taxi helpers:

This mod makes the Taxi Ribbon assistance less invasive in VR and more convenient in 3D

This mod replaces the set of Taxi Helpers UI so that you can keep the Taxi Ribbon assistance always enabled. It consists in modifications making them unobtrusive and naturally blending with the ground.

Smaller taxi ribbon arrows coloured green:

Blending naturally with the taxi lines and displaying only a few meters away from the aircraft.

Tweaked blue/green parking box helpers:

Displaying almost like ground painted lines as if they are normal features of the airport.

PS: the screenshots are crops from quick VR captures, Iā€™ll update them with much better ones later!
ā€¦

6 Likes

A couple of things;

• Ambient Occlusion I have on LOW, thereā€™s a marked difference to the Trees if itā€™s set to Off, they look flat whereas on LOW they give a bit of depth.
  • Bloom I have ON as the Sun looks like a Ping Pong Ball and itā€™s an immense immersion killer! Iā€™ve tried with it Off but canā€™t really tell much of a difference.

I might try Texture Supersampling/Contact Shadows both OFF, incidently I donā€™t have any Motion/Reprojection Smoothing as itā€™s all disabled, I found it horrid in Racing Sims and didnā€™t like it in MSFS when I tried months ago. I may revisit it one day but Iā€™m happy as is for now.

1 Like

@RomanDesign and others,
If you are having one to two second pauses, consider these two things:

1. Another app is being scheduled that is interfering - try using a process control app like Project Lasso to at least see if that helps
  2. You might have CPU (or possibly GPU) throttling due to temperature or other causes - use an app like OCCT that can plot over time the frequency of each cpu core - not the loading - but the frequency as in 5000 Mhz and make sure you focus on the heaviest loaded core - usually the highest numbered one.

I might have expressed myself not clearly enough but Iā€™m posting this information mostly for testing purposes.

Therefore the main point is not much debating what is oneā€™s preferences, but whether these are also affecting motion smoothing with G2+WMR as much as I find them affecting motion smoothing with Index+SteamVR.

Bloom however is less a performance problem here but a legibility problem. When enabled it might make a nicer aura around the sun, but it is also making ground as seen from above when the sun is lower a little bit more fuzzy. This is also why, in order to keep the aura visuals but to remove the induced fuzziness, Iā€™ve created this topic: [BUG/FEATURE] Render the Sun with a fading disk when bloom is disabled

Hope this helps!

3 Likes