My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

@RomanDesign I think we now understand that you find it unplayable.
But that’s a matter of opinion and I think it looks great, even if there is still potential to improve the performance.

I’m afraid I have to echo what @RomanDesign said. I wanted to enjoy MSFS VR, I really did. And at first when a lot of people in these threads were throwing words like “smooth” and “perfect” I was thinking I’m doing something wrong. But looks like you managed to ignore this flaw. Which is cool - I envy you a bit here. But there is still massive room for improvement until we can call this perfect or even smooth.

Not sure if this comment was directed to me or not… But these are all different aspects: looks, “enjoyability” and performance in comparison with other VR sims (and other VR experiences).

1. Looks: it looks amazing! Better than any other sim by far. There is no comparison. Those looks killed all other sims for me.
  2. Enjoyment is very subjective: people enjoyed first MSFS versions running on DOS in stuttery 10FPS. In the 90-s FPS were at best in low 20-s or less, what people would consider unplayable now. I enjoyed XPlane VR immensely (much better VR implementation than MSFS!) but I can’t enjoy it anymore because of MSFS looks - XPlane looks so outdated by comparison. Also VR induces motion sickness to different degrees for different people. I’m relatively tolerant - I can play Alyx or other free-moving VR games for hours. But the judder of MSFS makes even me a bit queasy quite fast. Some people will find it “unplayable”. I find it “barely playable”. Certainly not really smooth. Not compared to anything else really. But it’s all subjective - if you can enjoy it - good for you!
  3. Performance is poor by any metric you can use. Thanks to CptLucky8 and others I got it in the same ballpark as others apparently, which make it “barely playable” around 30FPS in rural areas in GA plane and will likely make it unplayable in complicated addons and non-default airliners. If, after many many hours of tweaking, it is “barely playable” on a high-end PC (3080, overclocked 3700X, 64Gb Ram, NVME 2Tb SSD) - this is poor performance. Just “plug and play” with default settings gave me an unbelievable 10FPS - with expensive RTX 3080! I hope it gets better, but so far - it looks great but plays poorly (not even talking about only partial VR implementation without controllers, or ability to use charts and import other windows to VR, dead tablets etc.)

Bit this is just the beginning, I hope Asobo will optimize it, add missing features and makes it enjoyable for much more people.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed stuttering from setting changes even though the FPS didn’t change. I get a bit over 40 fps usually and when I raise the Render Scaling in MSFS from 80 to 90, the FPS is still about the same, but moving my head causes it to be jerky, so I put it back down and it’s pretty smooth. I have a 3080 + 3700x.

My g2 + 3080ftw is the same way, it gets “okish” but only at times when fps is 27 to 30, when it goes under 30 the fluid motion is lost, judder sets in, so does nausea, some seem to think thats ok and deal with it, but i just cant.

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to @CptLucky8 and many others. Thanks to your hard work and recommendations, my first VR experience was not a frustrating exercise in tinkering, but a mesmerizing spectacle. I don’t think I can possibly throw any more hardware at this problem, and I know it’s still far from perfect, but I also had no expectations going in. What I found was mostly smooth and entirely immersive. I spent two hours flying and was pretty dazzled (also slightly motion sick, but I get green when I’m behind the yoke IRL too :wink: )

Please keep the updates coming, they are a massive help.

G2, 5900x with SMT off, RTX 3090 with 457.3 drivers, 100TAA and 70OXR

4 Likes

It really is smooth when it works: hitting 30 fps with reprojection on. It may depend on the location and aircraft, but I am 300 fts above Hudson River inside an ICON A5, and I am shifting my head left and right while reading the gauges; there is no juddering whatsoever. I do notice that motion smoothing isn’t able to get rid of juddering everywhere in the cockpit. The flight stick right below your eyes, for example, is juddering. But I think the algorithm is optimized to work best where it matters.

I wouldn’t call it perfect because, with projection on, you’ll need to ignore the artifacts. However, since the only artifact I can see is behind the propellers, there is a simple solution for me: fly an aircraft that doesn’t have a propeller directly in front of you!

Of course, this is when it works. When I get too close to the buildings or am near an airport, it can dip below 30 fps and things get ugly very quickly.

1 Like

It is NOT OK if you can’t maintain 30 fps and above, not with a 90 Hz headset and the WMR motion smoothing.

@ImXLXL Do you mean from a technical standpoint (it is not ok because such hardware should perform better if only the software…) or from a personal standpoint (You don’t feel ok when you’re below 30fps)?

It’s just a personal take. Also I am responding to @bigdaddyPittPA and trying to say that you don’t have to deal with juddering if it bothers you the most: Just turn reprojection on and do whatever you can to make sure you always hit 30 fps.

Yeah, did that, it is better , ie: low settings, however the juddering/stuttering still is an issue even with reprojection on. The issue is the frames going from 30-45. If there was a way to lock them like with the ovr tool in xp11 then it would be smooth in all situations. Using nvidia to lock the frames makes things worse in a few ways (tried locking at 30)

Maybe your settings are too low. For me it is always 30 fps with reprojection on.

Yeah, i’m getting the same results, without a way to force the 30fps reprojection it’s almost unplayable for me.

I didn’t do anything that @CptLucky8 hasn’t said. For me, it can drop below but never goes above 30 fps.

1 Like

Hi @Aspelta looks like you have the latest version. Strange you don’t have the Custom render scale option in Developer Settings. I would remove the OpenXR Developer Tool and reinstall from the store. Also from the store click on more options (…) and My Library and select again more options (…) and select Download and updates, you might need to update associated runtime libraries as well as the tool. Good luck.

1 Like

Many thanks! it worked :slight_smile:
Seems like it didn’t want to update…

Now, open XR demo scene do not start :frowning:
Actually it starts, pink glasses shows up, and through the black screen for few seconds goes back to cliffhouse…

Anyway, “custom render scale” is there.
regards

1 Like

It doesn’t work for me neither, but I don’t care much about this one :joy:

1 Like

For those that want to fly single-prop aircraft with Motion Smoothing and are annoyed by the artifacts in the prop area (and how could you not be?) I suggest you try the following prop mods:

I haven’t tried them yet, but they should reduce flicker and artifacts hopefully.

4 Likes

Hey! I’ve been looking forward to this write-up since our discussions in the Beta forum! Thanks again for everything you do on here. You helped out many people get a enjoyable experience and this guide for the G2 is HUGELY apreciated!

3 Likes

Hi @CptLucky8

Thank you again for all of the help you are providing to the community. I think Microsoft owe you a great deal for the work you are putting in here.

One quick question for you - not sure if you’ve tested this - do you think there is any benefit to disabling Hyperthreading in BIOS for those with CPUs which have it enabled?
In every sim I’ve played for years, it seems to be a point of debate, so just wondering what your take on it is?

Cheers!

EDIT: Just re-read this thread (I’ve not been on for a few days!) and seen that a) it’s been discussed and b) your CPU doesn’t have this capability - so no worries!

The thanks comment still stands though :slight_smile:

3 Likes