My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

@OnlyWheel864461 If you’re using a 3060, please look at the “Further Comment” chapter in the OP for these links:

What NVidia Drivers are recommended for VR
How to install Nvidia drivers properly when trying out different versions

Otherwise, it is one thing saying it is not supported, but it is quite better if you’d be telling what is your video card.

Thanks @CptLucky8

Oh i am sorry! I own a 3060 TI.
Im gonna try 457.51

1 Like

And Thank you CptLucky, your guide is a great base for other config too.

Best,

S.

1 Like

Question for you Captain – if you don’t set a custom render resolution in OpenXR, is that equivalent to setting it to 100%? Today I launched FS2020 and forgot to set the custom resolution and noticed things were much clearer (and still running smooth!). Coincidentally, I also disabled PMT in my Bios – maybe this accounts for the performance headroom? In fact, I went through and upped a bunch of my settings (TAA to 80, clouds on High, Trees on Ultra, etc) and it seemed to maintain a smooth framerate. I have a similar setup to you (Ryzen 3900x, Nvidia 2070S, x570 Motherboard).

This is a good question and I believe I’ve answered somewhere in this discussion. Anyhow, we were told when not using a custom render scale, WMR OpenXR is choosing one for you based on your VRAM. With 8GB it should be about 62.5% (if I recall correctly). You can cross check the FS2020 Post Processing resolution to know exactly what resolution has been selected automatically.

As for performance, please note my settings are adjusted for flying the DA40 with Garmin and the A320 in the KSNA vicinity with photogrammetry and MP traffic. This region is know for being “heavy” and in this region with my settings on my hardware I can manage to get the minimum perf I’m expecting. When flying with these settings over Hawaii for example, or any other sparse scenery area, or a light GA aircraft, I get much better fps. I also get slightly better fps north of KSAN.

The goal was to find a good and solid base upon which I can simply raise a couple settings max (Clouds and Terrain LOD) if conditions permit, or conversely lower them when it is really a dense region / busy international airport, while keeping all other settings as-is because they are fulfilling the minimum visuals for piloting (not for taking screenshots). Of course, with a better hardware the goal would have been different!

I had the same problem as you until I rolled back to 457.51. No more Judders unless fps drops below 30.

How is everyone viewing fps in VR? Using the overlay from openxr, or some other means? I wasnt sure that fpsvr would work since there is no steam overlay/controller support (using pure windows openxr/wmr).

Had great success tonight, above Vancouver in icon with many settings cranked up this time, 65% set in openxr custom slider and repro on. Smooth for the most part, a few minor stutters. Exited vr came back in and it was a horrible mess constantly, rebooted and it smoothed out, this part still baffles me (restarting the sim and wmr app didnt help alone, reboot needed)

Enable Developer Mode to display FPS, then while in VR use Win + PrintScreen keys to take screenshots with FPS info (which you cannot see with headset on).

I just check the OpenXR overlay. You don’t even need to look at numbers; if it’s blue, you are good.

1 Like

The performance can and have been getting better. I’ve heard that, with the latest ASW update, the Oculus users can now play with Ultra settings on a 1080Ti. I hope I’ll be able to do the same with full G2 resolution on a 3080 soon.

Quite possible. I am now able to get very stable and smooth, no-issue 18-20 FPS with HIGH visual settings in VR using my 1660 Super and slow i7-3770. I would be surprised if 1080 TI with newer CPUs cannot play ULTRA and get issue-free 30 FPS.

2 Likes

I’m just completely dumbfounded by that fact that there are numerous people that report smooth and enjoyable VR with 1080 range card, while at the same time many 3080 and 3090 GPU owners like me can’t achieve good performance with decent FPS (above 30 for reprojection to be smooth) and no stutters. It’s so puzzling. 3000 series GPUs should perform 3x as well as lower cards, but it doesn’t seem to work that way with MSFS… We’ll see what happens.

1 Like

Hi RomanDesign, I’d like to see at what resolution they are running it…

@RomanDesign @AIRBORNE4795 Some of the reasons are because you might get decent fps with lower settings and less fps with higher settings (tempted to raise these with a 30xx but some of them are hugely impacting the fps non the less in VR).

Some other settings are mostly impacting the CPU, or at least they put a lot of load in the CPU/GPU sync (Terrain LOD for example). This is especially true with any scenery with high polygon count. By the way, trees are a little bit exempt from this because I suspect the rendering engine is heavily instancing a small set of 3D models, whereas there is much more different buildings and this is not benefiting from instancing as much as trees.

There is also known issues with NVidia drivers since 446.14 mostly affecting 30XX cards, a little bit less 20XX. There are great variations of these issues but mostly for VR in FS2020 (and 2D), the main issue is CPU/GPU sync problems which makes the simulator stuttering as if it is loosing frames.

Some more info about this here (not FS2020 specific):

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/geforce-hotfix-driver-version-460-97.435791/
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-geforce-460-89-driver-download-and-discussion.435722/

If you’re tempted trying (see post #11 for a download link - beware the source though):

Thanks!

I was just saying, I’m pretty happy with the perf I get. I know how to make compromises and not delusion myself in thinking everything is going to run on ultra with 90 fps :wink: I’ll give a shot at 465.12 thanks for the link. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Best

1 Like

Your GPU is too fast, it’s passing data back to the cpu and the cpu can’t keep up, and it bottlenecks and stutters the sim. To get a smooth sim, you HAVE to be gpu limited. The second you’re main thread limited, you induce stutters.

Take for example my system. 9900KS 5ghz and 3090. If I run at ultra at 2k, I get stutters. Because the gpu sits idle, and the main thread maxes out. However if I run at 4K or above, I get no stutters, because the gpu is being worked properly, so it’s taking its time to process stuff, therefore allowing the cpu to have breathing space. So by having a higher resolution that matches my card, I reduce the stutters.

Method 1: Increase the game’s resolution

If you have a CPU bottleneck, increasing the processing usage of your GPU should “balance” the load. By adjusting your game’s graphics to higher (4K) resolutions , the GPU will need more time to render the processed data.

Have your CPU and GPU process data at a common speed to see fewer chances of experiencing bottleneck. It’s all about balance. This a why some people with Lower end systems report smoother flight. They have balanced systems.

PS, LOD hammers the cpu anything above 125.

3 Likes

465.12 is a no go for me. Keeps crashing VR and it’s a stutter fest. I tried :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your quick feedback! I guess NVidia is really struggling with their drivers nowadays. This makes me wondering what about AMD and VR but it is as if on this forum everyone has an NVidia.

Who told you that 3xxx cards should have 3x performance of 1xxx cards? Is this a joke?

According to below results, 3060 card is hardly even faster than the 1080TI:

I believe it is a figure of speech only. It is expected 3080 or 3090 cards do run faster than 1080(TI), at least with some visible gain. It is true with most games as well, maybe less for FS2020 and even less in VR.