My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) 🟢

When I’m writing “Motion Smoothing” it is anything which is related to “doubling the frames” or similar. In WMR it is the Motion Reprojection drop down setting.

Thank you for your kind words! Please note game render resolution affects legibility up close especially EFIS. VR super sampling affects legibility in the distance. For sharper EFIS with the Index, use TAA 110 or 120 first, then adjust SteamVR SS to what’s confortable fps wise for you. As for 40s territory, although you must enter VR with the Index at 90Hz in order to reduce CTDs when starting VR mode, once there, you can change to 80Hz. I used to do this in order to unlock the simulator from trying hard displaying at 30fps when it could do better and have it locked to 40fps instead!

This is most likely the case although when in Window mode it is constraining the mouse into the window boundaries unless you ALT+TAB or press the WIN key. Rather, I suspect they’re using a different DX11 present mode which is better suited for VR and/or 3D (I don’t remember which exactly but this was an issue raised a few weeks/month ago about how FS2020 was not using the correct one for full screen borderless windows).

Yes I’m almost done comparing many different NVidia drivers, TAA/SS ratios, settings, all best suited for a base line. My approach is really to find this baseline which is working really good as-is in most situations/aircraft/place for a given hardware (my test system which is in the higher range CPU wise and mid range GPU wise and seems to be actually quite mainstream in the simulation world). From the base line, people with better hardware can raise some settings with a better knowledge of what is affecting the most the experience.

I’ll post this soon but I can already say I’ve found I believe an ideal sweet spot with fluid flights and legible EFIS over LAX region in the default seated A320 position (using the center post red/white orbs for alignment) with some room to increase EFIS legibility further over less dense regions.

No I didn’t because I didn’t spent much time trying SeamVR OXR with the G2. I just quickly tried out yesterday because there was a new SteamVR beta and it seems quite good or actually nearly similar to my WMR tests I did just before, but there was a big problem with the HMD tracking causing frames displaying in a backward timeline fashion (like when playing some AVI files which are wrongly encoded with a simple video player making frames to jump back and forth).

I’ll be posting my suggestions for the G2 + WMR soon, in the meantime, with the video card you have, I’d suggest you try this instead for crystal clear legibility: TAA 120 + OXR 50 + Motion Rep. Disabled. Let me know about this one… :wink:

Please look at the tables comments I’ve posted with different combinations for the Index. It does make a difference because both scales are not affecting the same pixels the same way, let alone EFIS drawing resolution solely depends on FS2020 Render Scale, not OXR/SteamVR Display Res.

It is just a shorter way to tell both FS2020 Render Scaling value and Antialiasing setting in a convenient 3 letters label. Mind you, besides TAA mode, all others are causing shimmering and would require MSAA or similar to compensate. Therefore it is easier for me to just say:

• “TAA 60” is FS2020 Render Scaling 60% with TAA mode
  • “SS 150” is OpenXR Render Scale or SteamVR Super Sampling 150%

I never tried to compare without any glass cockpit. I’m trying to find a base line working best with the most demanding cockpits and areas (I’m usually flying a certain pattern I’ve build up to know over time in the KSNA region - you can see me flying outlawed crazy pilot there when I do), in order to make sure I won’t have any unpleasant drop when flying in a variety of places and aircraft. I usually validate it is working good there, then I take a fly in the Hawaii islands to enjoy how much it is actually working great!

Thank you! I’ve answered this “TAA” question in more details above now. I usually prefer helping people learning how to fish, but here is EFIS definition just a qwant.com search away :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t find reflection making a huge difference actually, at least at LOW, but I suggest leaving them OFF to get started with. If your hardware can deal with it, fine. Otherwise, you might prefer raising other settings more important to the pilot than reflections, such as clouds from MED to HIGH.

Thank you for your kind words! It is often neglected but very important indeed, and I personally find most people doing YT videos about “the best settings” don’t know much either. When you’re accustomed to 3D rendering APIs and the evolution of the hardware over more than 25 years (some remember their first Voodoo cards?), it doesn’t take much looking into the internet and properly reading the NVidia materials to start refining these settings to something actually working better.

As a matter of fact, I’d suggest you review your NVidia settings for your other games too, because these are working great for me with SW Squadron, HLA, and basically all others I’m using.

I’ll also update the post because I was suggesting VR Pre-Rendered Frames “1 most likely” but I’ve been trying out different values and I can confirm it is “1 and only 1”. Any other value is stuttering much more on different NVidia drivers I’ve tried lately for the G2 WMR recommendations I’m preparing.

6 Likes