My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

@JWales2895 There is no SDE with the Index (ever so minimal it isnā€™t there in practice). Lighthouse tracking is fantastic for aerobatics too! You can really turn your head in every direction and it is always perfect, including in the dark!

After writing up the G2 topic, Iā€™ve revisited the Index with FS2020 in order to validate/update this topic and I did try again the A320 with the Index at TAA60 + SS220 and honestly, it was quite good compared to the G2. It will never be as sharp and clear as the G2 especially with the smallest details and/or EFIS screens, but it is really a good performer when youā€™re pushing it within some sensible and reasonable expectations.

One thing about the Index is that the lenses and the visible screen just feels more immersive than the G2. Youā€™re really feeling being there, instead of feeling youā€™re only watching it. It is the lower panel resolution which is reminding you those are screens though, whereas on the G2 you donā€™t feel these are screens thanks to the level of detail. Having said this, it is hard for me to fly with the Index again now that Iā€™ve been trying the G2, and, Iā€™ve found settings to make it enjoyable as wellā€¦

There is no clear winner in fact and this is what is making such choice harder :crazy_face:

1 Like

OMG this did it!

Iā€™ve tried many settings, your guides gave me already okayish results, but my fps was varying so much, fluctuating like hell, from 0 to 60, avg 45. ( 60/220, index 120hz, 3090, 9900k, latest nvidia driver). But it felt so bad.
Now after switching to the old ā€œlinuxā€ version the whole experience is SO MUCH smoother. Avg FPS went up tp 55fps, but more important itā€™s not varying so much. Now I switched back to 90hz and pushing some settings up, as I have room left for stable 45fps.

Thank you so much for your guides and tips @CptLucky8 !

1 Like

Donā€™t be so quick to dismiss the Pimax. I own the 5k and the Reverb G1. When it was time to by a new HMD, I went for the 8kxā€¦

The software, build quality, and customer service have come a long ways.

Thank you for the guides, your time spent sorting these things out is greatly appreciated by people like myself who are clueless as to what settings have what effects!

1 Like

How is the 5k in MSFS? Iā€™m looking to upgrade from my original vive at some point after the 3080 i have on order arrives. The 8k+ looks like a better bet over the 5k super but I also worry that the higher resolution is going to only make performance worse. 8kx with the 2k/4k switch seems like a winner in that respect.

@CptLucky8 Just want to give you some input from my testing and your settings. I tried linux_v1.14 - Older build, for Linux users but MSFS would not show up on my headset when switching to VR ( i would just get the SteamVR home). I then tried oculus_win7and8 - v1.15.12 and that seemed to work. FPS was better than SteamVR OpenXR by about 5fps.

Thanks for your hard work!

I canā€™t rightly say, as Iā€™ve only flown 2020 in my 8kx. I9 9900, 32g, 3090 Iā€™m getting a solid 30fps in fpsvr around Phoenix, AZ but I havenā€™t done much tweaking. Only put about 2 hours on the sim so far.

Iā€™d take the 5k over the G1 any day, as I just couldnā€™t get used to that tiny fov. 8kx is the clarity of the G1 with an even larger fov than the 5k.

@Sysrek2167 Youā€™re using an Oculus headset isnā€™t it? If so this might be the reason the ā€œlinuxā€ version is not working. Iā€™m glad this is helping, thank you for your kind words!

Happy of all that knowledge here in that post and the work of @all and @CptLucky8 and I am flying with an absolutely smoooooth experience now (3090 i9, 32 GB) because of the usage of the first driver for the 3090 (Sept).
But last open question which I can not solve by searching the forum is, is there anybody flying the A320 with or without mod without stutters ? Seems this time there is nothing you can reduce so much, that the airliners become smooth in flying in VR.
All the best for 2021 for everyone, great community !!

1 Like

Sorry, I still canā€™t find where you explain how to adjust TAA? Sorry for being blind, I am a slow reader so simply not feasible for me to read the whole thing just to find this one piece of information at the m,oment

Unfortunately, it didnā€™t work. With default config I have some fisheye distortion, but by setting raw projections I get some strange wobble. It looks like a ā€œdistorted parallelogramā€ when I move my head sideways, and it is much more noticeable :frowning_face:

1 Like

It is explained right below the table with my 3 recommended TAA/SS settings, in italic characters.

Wow, this made quite the difference!
The whole experience went from ā€œmeh, itā€™s kinda usable but not enjoyableā€ to ā€œwow, this is fantastic, Iā€™m really flying!ā€
Much smoother, almost perfectly smooth infact, with much better FrameTimings (FT) on the CPU. And though the GPU shows FT in the 25ms range, with my (now higher) settings, itā€™s still smooth as butter and keeping mostly 40FPS at 80Hz, with the occasional drop to 35ish.
Itā€™s a night and day difference!
That was a real neat discovery! :+1: :sunglasses:
Now I just hope that Valve is on the ball with improvements to SteamVRā€¦

1 Like

Linux_V1.14 definitely fixed most of the stuttering issues but I noticed everything seems zoomed up making the cockpits look unusually large. Also I noticed the VR view window is missing the index lens boundaries. Is anyone experiencing this?

1 Like

I havenā€™t noticed any difference regarding the scale of cockpit or other things no?
But yeah, the mirror window of the VR views is missing the black masks, and is just two square windows now.

I found this didnā€™t work when setting OpenXR handler to SteamVR and using the Windows Store. Will try further.

Thanks for all these informations!
Iā€™m using an HTC Vive Pro headset myself, could you compile some settings for this one aswell?
Iā€™m especially not sure which to chose as rendering resolution both ingame and in SteamVR.
Seeing it uses the same resolution as the Index, am I good to just copy your settings?

Also, is it only me or does the global resolution setting in SteamVR default to 110%?

According to the headset specs it should be 1440x1600 per eye, which isnā€™t even selectable using the slider, the closest I get to it is 50% which results in 1424x1584. Maybe I donā€™t quite understand how SteamVR handles these?

This is normal and expected. Please review Alex Vlachos videos Iā€™ve posted a link to in the OP, this explains it all.

TL;DR (from ā€œMy VR Settings - G2ā€):

NB: the Reverb G2 panel resolution is 2160x2160 but because of its lenses design and optical properties, the nominal image resolution an application must render is 3172x3100, which corresponds to 100% OXR Render Scale.

As far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with OpenXR/WMR, just SteamVR? Anyway, I havenā€™t got either OpenXR or WMR installed, soā€¦ :man_shrugging:

I really want to try this as My VR isnā€™t particularly smooth and struggles to get an average of 30fps.

7700k @ 4.9ghz
11gb 1080ti
16gb ram
Index

I cannot follow your instructions to find it. Steamvr isnā€™t in my library to right click? Itā€™s obvious Iā€™m doing something wrong. Any chance of a screenshot? I can see steamvr for Linux if I go to tools in the library but thereā€™s no version number attached to it.

Edit: I found it. It now runs so much smoother. Along with your base settings my cpu time has dropped from around 30ms to 12ms. Absolutely spot on! I was about to give up on this in VR and go back to XP. How on earth did you figure this would make such a difference? I did have a few CTD about 10 minutes into VR until I went back to using the latest Nvidia driver. All is good now. Great job.

1 Like

my steam vr doesnā€™t show in my library either, i normally just use the search box then it will show up. Then right click properties and go to the beta tab, click the drop down and select linux v1.14.
I didnā€™t see any difference in performance selecting the linux version. I am using a valve index.

1 Like