My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Now that Iā€™ve posted my suggestions for the Reverb G2 - WMR, Iā€™ve spent a few hours with the Index again.

First Iā€™d say there is visible difference with the lower res panel I had expected, but with TAA60+SS220 I was quite pleased with the outside view and the amount of details I could read on the Cessna Citation Longitude EFIS.

My settings on the G2 are showing me I can push my test system to rendering 2K x 2K in VR at a smooth and constant 30fps in dense/photogrammetry areas, and higher in sparse areas (try Hawaii for example). My recollection of test flight during the beta also lead me to think there is a problem with the latest SteamVR release and beta versions.

In effect, the main difference between my G2 and Index settings are the Terrain LOD and Object LOD values (50% with Index and 100% with G2). The reason is during my flight tests Iā€™ve noticed, monitoring frame timings using the SteamVR graphs, that during fast turns there was an increasing number of stuttering over photogrammetry areas (testing around KSNA). Iā€™ve attributed this to FS2020 sending large chunks of vertices (geometry) and the VR software stack being held up from processing the frames during this time. In reducing the Terrain LOD to 50% Iā€™ve managed to workaround this to acceptable levels. However, there is no such hiccups with the G2 (at least not as visible).

Therefore Iā€™ve tried different things this morning to try finding out a better way and actually I believe there is. I was actually hinted about this from someone (I donā€™t remember who, please let me know so that I can credit you). Here is:

• Open Steam Client, go to Library
  • Right click SteamVR and select Properties
  • Select the Betas tab (on the left)
  • Pickup the following in the drop down list:
    linux_v1.14 - Older build, for Linux users

Steam Client will download this version which will show as ā€œSteamVR [linux_v1.14]ā€ in the Steam Library list. I know it seems silly because youā€™re running Win10 but I believe this only means: use on Win10 the same version as the one available on Linux.

Now you can try again your flights with TAA60+SS220 (I didnā€™t try any other) and crank up Terrain LOD and Object LOD both to 100% and compare how most stutters are gone (there are a few remaining but not as intense as with SteamVR 1.15.16)

Please let me know how it goes for you and Iā€™ll update my suggestions if this proves beneficial to more people!