My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) 🟢

Hey, @CptLucky8, I know the topic is about the Index and G2, but I’ve been playing around with your suggested settings for my Quest 2 and I am glad to tell that they also improved my experience. My PC is a Ryzen 5 3600 with a RTX 3080 and, so far, this is what I found out:

• When I use Oculus OpenXR runtime, it looks like applying supersampling using either Oculus device options or Oculus Debug Tool affects Performance with no visual improvement whatsoever. Only the rendering resolution slider inside MFS makes a difference, but at a high performance cost.
  • When I use SteamVR OpenXR runtime things work pretty much as you describe, and selecting SS220 and TAA60 is also a sweet spot for my personal preferences. I have nice scenery with readable gauges (although the instruments lag way behind x-plane 11 in crispness or readability). I also disabled any reprojection by defining specific video settings for MFS within SteamVR. It is worth nothing that, for the Quest 2, 220% means about 2700x2700 per eye, so slightly less than yours, but still good. Good enough to enjoy the landscape and read the PAPI lights at a reasonable distance, actually.
  • Since I have some performance headroom I could crank up the res a little bit but I find it more pleasant to improve other settings, such as reflections, clouds, light shafts and, depending where I fly, even ambient occlusion. For the kind of flight I usually enjoy, such as panoramic flights at about 1500ft ASL or short trips over the mountains, these make a bigger difference than resolution for me.
  • For a perfect experience I would like to be able to adjust pincushion within SteamVR, as it is not good for the Quest 2 and introduces noticeable distortion. I don’t know if this is possible, though. My VR knowledge is limited.

So that’s it. Good Job. Thanks for your research, and keep flying!

1 Like