My embarassing first flight on VATSIM

I finally gathered enough courage to do my first flight on VATSIM. Simple stuff, just doing some circuits at Birmingham and landing again.

Well, I crossed holding lines, typed wrong squawk codes and forgot basic procedures. In the moment I just panicked, but ATC was really nice to me though, and all in all it was a pleasant experience. I learned a lot, and perhaps you can learn from my mistakes as well if you’re also a bit scared of trying it out.

1st flight: https://youtu.be/xMGs3lxS4S4

Edit: I’ve documented every flight I’ve done since, and will continue to do so as I progress

2nd flight (circuits): https://youtu.be/KHPi32b-DOM
3rd flight (more circuits): https://youtu.be/1xtNG-zWhOI
4th flight (first trip): https://youtu.be/yCecrk4lOnI

17 Likes

Thank you for sharing. You’ve helped this newbie gather up the courage to try Vatsim too!

2 Likes

Been on VATSIM for a few thousand hours now, and that was definitely not bad. Since it’s not really IRL sometimes I would miss instructions and get numbers wrong, too. Simple distraction from whatever goes on in my non-cockpit.

1 Like

Cool! Funnily enough, I also gathered up the courage to do it after watching someone else on youtube. I just wish there were more videos out there of raw VATSIM content that isn’t advanced IFR and airliners.

2 Likes

Well, I would record my GA flights but I don’t think my laptop rig is up to the task…

1 Like

Well done!

I’m sure you have encouraged others to try Vatsim. Excellent contribution. Thank you.

1 Like

The same stuff has happened to me on my recent first outings on VATSIM. I have no excuses as I have a PPL although I haven’t flown for a few years. I still enjoyed VATSIM it realky adds an extra dimension.

1 Like

My first flight on VATSIM was much worse, I still sometimes get nervous particularly on approach into busier airports but it gets much more natural quickly.

For others that are inspired best advice is to start up at a quieter airport and you’ll find controllers are very happy to help, it can help if you put in the remarks that you’re a new pilot. I got my S1 rating as a controller on VATSIM a couple of months ago and regularly control at Stansted and Luton mostly so feel free to pop by!

2 Likes

Awesome! I will drop by for sure. :slight_smile:

For me, vatsim is the best to help new people. They have pacience and help and teach a lot. I used it a few times, but since I am not a good English fluent speaker I don’t go online on any network like that.
But is very good to see people getting more and more immersed with the flight Sims and online atc networks

1 Like

I think you did quite well. I would’ve been happy and proud if that were my first performance on Vatsim. Unfortunately with 400 flight hours I’m still mic shy and have yet to make my maiden flight there.

Yes, and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

At first I logged in as an observer and just got comfortable with the back and forth to get a feel for the types of responses I could expect. I switched on the relevant frequency and then used the drone cam to follow individual planes around and observe their movements and communications with ATC. I highly recommend it!

As many have said above, VATSIM is amazing – it has literally changed my flight sim experience ten fold. I’ve learned so much.

Just remember currently there’s a big altitude bug in our sim, so the flight level you show in MSFS is NOT the flight level VATSIM sees (that’s the most uncomplicated way of saying it) - this should be fixed in tomorrow’s 8am PDT patch.

1 Like

I think I said that on other VATSIM threads too. I would encourage everyone to try it out. No matter how comfortable you feel speaking english, or how worried you think you are talking to controllers.
VATSIM has a little test for starters that you take to get familiar with the commonly used terms, watch a YT video or two, familiarize yourself with the aircraft you want to fly and hop on to the network.
There are so many times I see airspaces controlled but pretty empty. Especially then the controllers are most accomodating. I believe everyone on the network wants it to grow. It’s just more fun when more people fly, it’s simply more realistic.
Just one thing: avoid flying during events or when there’s is lots of traffic as a beginner. Not because anyone would get mad at you. The main reason being is that the controllers have to give lots of instructions and simmers need to read everything back in a timely fashion so that the frequency is pretty loaded anyways, and it makes it just harder to repeat things.

1 Like

When you lodge your flight plan to Vatsim…indicate your are a “NEWBIE”…they’ll take that on board and assist you every step of the way.

2 Likes

This is a fantastic idea. Do you think they would mind if I were to add “Please talk a bit slower, because I’m a rookie.”? The last thing I want is to be a nuisance on the network.

You will not be a nuisance…
If you haven’t already…log on as an observer…just to feel more “comfortable” with the terminology, and what is expected from you in regard to replies and calls…do it as many times as needed…then when you feel confident enough, log on as a Newbie…you’ll be good to go. Remember we were all “newbies” once.
It is always wise to have a pad and pen next to you, to jot down instructions.
Don’t worry about making mistakes, the most professional pilots do.
Enjoy the skies.

2 Likes

To add to that it is extremely helpful to know your way around an airport and know the charts in general. When I first started a while back I would just google the charts and have them open on a tablet or laptop (Navigraph is better but at that time I didn’t feel like paying for something I couldn’t take full advantage of)
That doesn’t typically apply if you’re just flying patterns, but for IFR flights it’s really helpful to anticipate what the controller actually says. Most of the stuff in the clearance is pretty much pre-determined. After a while, you’ll just know what he gives you as a clearance or which way to taxi e.g. At that stage you’ll only note what’s not on the charts like a squawk code.

2 Likes

(A) You’re not a nuisance
(B) Everyone started from where you are at some point
(C) Do the text feature, where you communicate via text vs voice. That helped me too.

1 Like

By the way… has anyone been able to find some GOOD resources on the IFR differences between the US and EU? I’ve been flying exclusively in the US and Canada.

3 Likes