My endless CTD, CTD, CTD problem

This is getting impossible to play. Now I get CTD’s loading the game . If it reaches the menu, it CTD’s too. Two weekends haven’t been able to use the sim AT ALL! I installed Cinebench… What I should be looking for? I ran a test and I received 11586 score. Does that mean something?
Nothing else in my computer crashes, not even the other simulator. Just MSFS.
When in this going to be addressed?

1 Like

They are working on platform stability, it is discussed in the SU9 beta release notes.
In the meantime, start with the troubleshooter.
At the end of that checklist are links to more editions.
Your issue may be covered in there.

I have already done and configured every single suggestion.

How can I join the Beta program?

This is really ridiculous almost to the point of a scam. I spend something like 4hrs troubleshooting everytime I want to fly. Just to fly 1 time for an hour.

Every weekend! Everytime! Every darn update! Asobo knows what they did with SU5 and never ever solved it!

How come a game can’t even get to the menu? This is poor programming! Every single Update is getting worst for me! Don’t blame my PC or my RAM or else.

I’m really furious!

I have to revisit like a zillion instructions, why don’t Asobo just make an app that checks EVERYTHING! This is not my job to spend this kind of time trying to fix the unfixable! SU5 started all of this nonsense and we are up to SU8 and this CTD’s never get fixed!

Instead they focus on scenaries before fixing the core of the game!

I see that EVEN XBOX users have problems with this game! Asobo can’t fix the game for their own hardware?

6 Likes

I think the problem with the XBOX is they’re trying to squeeze a gallon into a pint pot.

This doesn’t help you but it’s symptomatic of the problems throughout this game.

It would be perfect for external and arcade view only but as soon as complexity is added…kaput!!

My empathies to you.

In all fairness, I have only seen two situations where the issue was with MS.
All the others have been in the users setup, but some are very hard to find.
This link will explain how to join the SU9 beta:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/read-first-welcome-to-sim-update-9-beta/507612

1 Like

IF YOU GET THIS:
See the screen shot below. If you get this screen after starting MSFS, you may get a CTD or system reboot (like I had SEVERAL TIMES) and nothing short of repairing Win 10 fixed the BSOD.
The culprit I found was the update for X-Box that I got yesterday afternoon. I uninstalled xBox and reinstalled it from MS Store and now things are back to normal.

BTW, I also reset the app in Settings for Win 10, renamed my Community folder as well. That did not fix it. I also removed my VR headset, joystick and throttle quadrant but that did not help either. Only reinstalling XBox has worked. I may not have had to rename my Community folder I believe or disconnected anything.

Today I have tried everything.

Latest:
Disabled nVidia HD Audio resulted in never ever getting to the menu.

Uninstalled the xbox app, installed it again…

I was able to make a flight. Just one from LEBZ->LPPT. After landing and taxxing to the gate, CTD.

Right after that, haven’t been able to fly. restarted my computer like 10 times… again CTD just showing the menu.

This is infuriating.

1 Like

While it shouldn’t be the case, it tends to be the case that the most bleeding edge CPU/GPU hardware tend to experience the most issues in games/sims. But what caught my eye on this thread is that there is not a discrete GPU in use… but later in the thread it says an RTX-2080 is in use. These things should work, but not for this person on this build.

Unfortunately, building a gamingf/flightsim rig is not a trivial thing, and one can really run into problems with certain hardware combinations. Even if there are no “quirks” that a builder has to work around, it is always part of the build process to specifically stress nd stability test the system at load.

If I were to get hands on this system, it probably wouldn’t take too long to f demonstrate the system becomes unstable at load. Usually that’s a run of furmark 3d and using the CPU burner that is built in, separately and ultimately at the same time for extended periods.

Any tools like msi afterburner, OCCT, etc are to be taken out of the equation. You don’t try to tweak and push the hardware above what it is designed to do until you are quite darn sure it works stock.

I just want to get the CPU and GPU to burn for extended time, like hours, and see heat stability and cooling working as expected, and and power supply voltages (using hwinfo or similar tools) aren’t running out of norms.

If that passes, now its time to specifically test memory. I like to do that with prime 95. You can google for docs on how to stress test and focus on memory.

Because the memory controller or the memory might be not quite working, and resulting in instability. I’ve seen systems that the memory just can’t quite run at the speed it is advertised with the specific motherboard and CPU. If you are within a reasonable timeframe after buying the hardware and discover that as building and testing, you might get the memory maker to RMA the memory. But that isn’t going to happen months or years later.

Unfortunately, all of this can be necessary to get a good build to work optimally balancing performance with stability. These days, MSFS 2020 is not pushing hardware as hard as it once was.

All that said, the hardware can be good and test as stable. Let’s assume that and then it becomes “what next”? Well, what comes next is to focus on drivers – since you know the hardware is good at load.

Can you do this first? Sure. But it can be a frustratingly huge waste of time because all the driver replacements in the world aren’t going to matter.

1 Like

After formatting my NVME drive, installed Windows 10, default Windows Defender AV, no logitech plugin, SpaxNet installed.

CTD after departing LXGB with default a320.

At least now I can get to the menu. Haven’t installed ANY addon or plugin yet.

Not even nVidia Stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks mate!
Just a question: do you mean Xbox or Xbox Game bar?

xbox app
This happened at that time and looks like MSFS had changed the launch logo or image and may have been in the initial phases that caused the issue.
Same launch image now does not cause that…

Had all the same issues. Too frustrating when all you want to do is fly. Went back to my old setup.

Prepar3D
PMDG 737
All the add ons, active sky, vatsim, fs2crew, pushback express, virtual scenery

Hardware
CDU. Screen pops out for CDU
MCP
EFIS
all from open cockpits
FSi panel 2020
Navigraph
Sim brief
Orbx central

Not one ounce of trouble flying, taxing landing . So much more enjoyable.

Bin MSFS

I have had CTD’s since the beginning. Sometimes SU have improved the situation and sometimes it got worse.

I have enabled “resizable bar” in my bios now and I think it made a difference.

Maybe give it a try to see if it helps.

If it was a power problem his entire pc would more than likely shut down. Not only that he’d definitely have these issues with other sims/games

1 Like

I finally ended my CTD issues!!!
In my BIOS the clock for my RAM was set to 3200. After setting it to AUTO the CTD’s where gone. Worth trying…

Optimize Windows 10 - clear 12 caches - make it faster - free up a lot of disk space

Helped me!

so, disabled XMP mode :slight_smile: Sounds in meanwhile like a common issue for users with AMD cpu.

Can you please check the Taskmanager in which Speed your RAM now works ( Taskmanager → Memory Tab → right bottom ) ?

Yeah my RAM speed is way down to 2667MHz… They should be 3400s

not “should be” , more like “can be” :). XMP is OC and that the memory can handle 3400 does’nt mean that your CPU ( in special AMD ) or your mainboard can handle it too. But in case it is that kind of RAM I expect, you have possible two XMP profiles you can choose - a faster profile and a bit slower one. May be you can try the second profile ( you can check your profiles e.g. with help of CPU-Z in Tab SPD ).