My Real love of Flying started with my Grandfather

My Grandfather owned two Piper Comanches. First one he crashed but the second one he flew till he quit flying and sold it. The Second Comanche looked like a record setting comanche that is in Liberal Kansas.

5 Likes

Same here. One day, we went to visit my grandfather, Harold.

He asked me to come into his office to “help [him] with this computer game…”. I sat down at his desk and saw a helicopter sitting on a pad at what looked like an aiport in Chicago.

Let’s just say I struggled a lot, to the point where I still have the image of the “broken glass/you crashed” screen vividly ingrained in my psyche.

But, something changed that day. We lived in California, not too far from Edwards AFB.
I’d always see planes, jets, and helicopters fly over…but the thought never crossed my mind that there was a computer program that let you fly those same planes, jets, and helicopters!

Since that day, I became obsessed with this…Microsoft Flight Simulator.

As the years went on, I got myself into '98, 2002 and 2004: Century of Flight, and countless other “flying games” (yes, even SimCopter)…far too many to list here.

My grandpa passed away on Mother’s Day 2012 at the age of 94.

God, how I just wish he were still here. To be able to see what we have now. :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes