My review of the Landmarks Paris City Pack Review by Orbx

In my opinion, one of the best city scenery packs released to date. Great balance between detail, coverage, and performance. :sunglasses:

Hope it’s useful. :hugs:

4 Likes

A great review

The Pack looks impressive.

1 Like

Thank you!

The pack itself looks great. The work they’ve done with little things, like some of the underpasses and many of the details is really amazing. Pity that the ground textures remain so awful. This ruins the whole experience and has a definite FSX feel to it. It’s just like all those great buildings have been dropped on a washed out carpet.
I’m afraid I will stick with the photogrammetry by Thalixte. It’s bad for performance, and often the colours don’t work out, but it all fit’s together and thus feels more real to me.

Yeah, Thalixte’s photogrammetry is usually better than the rest of freeware photogrammetry, but it’s really hard on performance, so I tend to use it very sparingly. I’ve been wondering how higher resolution ortho would affect performance in a big city, or if source material even exists with good coverage. Unfortunately, I really don’t know that.

I just purchased it and its great and very good price.

1 Like

High-res ortho exists for many places. In XPlane you can import them via Ortho4XP (for free). It doesn‘t affect performance that much as far as I remember but the amount of data is huge. It would be great if we had something similar for MSFS. I think for most places the default imagery is good enough but it would be a great way to beef up smaller areas such as your favourite cities or airports.

Just watched the 43mn video of Paris MSFS + ORBX landmarks, it’s totally amazing!

I could even recognize the office where I work, in the 15th (building is recent and has a particular shape but it’s in there as real!) and also my previous one, facing the Grand Stadium in St Denis, also with a particular shape correctly reproduced
Recent buildings and malls, like Beaugrenelle, are there too, exactly as real

Only thing missing IMHO are the aerial metro lines
And the snowy landscape is a bit too much, as roads disappear, which would be very unlikely in Paris

But otherwise, it’s an absolute must have for Paris, sightseeing really realistic even at low altitude

1 Like

Unfortunately, the way the grounds reacts to snow I believe is sim-wide. I may be wrong, but the only way to get the snow not to stick to roads, would probably be repaving them all with a texture that doesn’t let snow stick.

Totally agree about the metro lines, always loved surface metro, and Paris’ is even better, since it’s in the middle of the road and it’s pretty much iconic :smiley:

Hi all!

I am playing in 4K ULTRA settings and I get very low FPS!!!
Usually I am at around 30 - 45 fps but over Paris now it gets near 15.
Is anybody of you use the Paris Pack in 4K Ultra? Just to compare…

Thanks in advance and have a lovely Sunday.

Unfortunately, I stick to 1440p and my frame rate is excellent. Have you tried comparing with and without the add-on?

Peronaly I find it it heavy in VR thats with a 3090. 2D nice.

Yes, without is ok, around 30 - 35fps @ 4K ULTRA.

I was going to purchase this, but France is the next update after UK. I think i will wait to see that before i purchase.

1 Like

There is no better combo than photogrammetry and hand-made landmarks replacing key buildings and places

1 Like

I agree with this. That’s what I have for Tokyo (landmarks by SamScene3D) and it’s really sweet.

1 Like

On 2d monitor 25- 40 fps. In vr not playable. When i am in Paris crash to desktop. With default scenery no problems. I try it many times but no luck. Sorry for the language. Its no google translate. I7 10700 208o super 32gb

I also purchased this package that I really like, especially because I live in Paris :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, each time I fly by the Eiffel tower, I have a CTD (crash to desktop) even though I fly a very standard aircraft. Am I the only one having this problem?

I confirm I have just made the exact same flight without the Paris city pack add-on and I had no crash. This tends to prove the problem comes from the Orbx scenery.

There seem to be some common CTD problems with third-party scenery as of late introduced by a server update of the sim itself (apparently the streamed terrain data conflicts with the third-party scenery). It happens to this and many more and it doesn’t affect everyone. Several developers have said it’s on Asobo’s side to fix. Hopefully, with the update on the 16th, it’ll happen.

1 Like

So do you need to keep photogrammetry activated or does this negate the need for that?