My settings so far for Rift S

So Ive had VR running a couple hours now and done some reading and used a few settings from other posts as a baseline. To start with, all I had to do to get my Rift S working with MSFS2020 was disable HDR in windows to my 4k TV, and turn off the ‘Use FOV Stencil’ and ASW OFF in Oculus Debug Tool. I havent tried any places like New York yet or the like, so take this with a pinch of salt, until i try those tomorrow, or you try them locations yourself. But these are my current settings and my hardware.

PC Specs
AMD 5600x with Precision Boost Overdrive turned on in bios +200mhz and LLC Auto.
H100i 240mm AIO
Gigabyte gaming 7 Wifi X470 MOBO
32gb Gskill Trident Z 3200mhz RAM
Gigabyte OC 2080Ti
ADATA 2tb m.2 NVMe SSD
500gb Samsung Sata SSD
240gb Samsung Sata SSD - Boot drive only
Corsair RMx750 PSU

On n a flight from San Diego to San Fran I was seeing 37-40FPS on the runway at San Diego and during the 1st half of the flight. I stopped as I had something else to do but the 40fps was smooth and i suffered no stuttering or drops lower than the 37fps using oculus debug tool Performance HUD.

Now i still have lots to play with, lets face it…we are never finished tweeking settings when pc gaming! but this might help a few?

EDIT: didnt notice reflections was off, will have to test with them on!

Edit2: reflextions low and light shafts low has barely any effect.

Edit 3: Nvidia drivers i use are 446.14

9 Likes

These settings are solid!:100:

Are you using 1.0 pixel density in Oculus debug tool?

Debug tool pixel density is set at default 0. I havent started to play about with that yet.

do i need to have debug tool open all the time for ASW off ? And why you turn this off if this should help with your frames ?

Are the cockpit gauges readable?

I turn it off as a legacy from my sim racing. I used to turn it off for that as when it kicked in on rare occasions (before I had my current hardware) it would cause more problems than it solved. On my system it has a habit of turning back to auto after the pc being asleep so I just leave debug tool open but minimized.

40fps, which I was getting once I was around 1500ft above ground, is half the Rift S refresh rate so ASW wont be kicking in at that point anyway. It may be a benefit being turned on say when at an airport or on approach and the fps starts to dip…another thing I need to test.

As I said I have loads more tweeking and experimenting to do.

Ive only really had the TBM out but I didnt find it too bad. I could read the info on the main displays fine.

1 Like

Where do i find this debug tool for the Rift S?

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics

Anyway with those setting B787 unflyable in VR. Lot’s of stutters and low framerates.

Thank you. I will se how i get on. I am running a 7700k at 4.8ghz 32gb DDR4 and a 2080ti

i9900k (default)/DDR4(2400)/2080ti (no OC)

I did not test in any airliners, I dont fly them on MSFS. I have Zobo on xplane for that stuff right now.

Same here. But MSFS2020 can be better

I’ve found that rolling back the Nvidia drivers to the ones released with this sim (August time) have helped quite a bit for a smoother VR experience.

Rift S here as well with ASW set to off running off a 2080 Super, 32gigs of Ram and a 8700k @ 4.8ghz.

Valid point about nvidia drivers!

I shall add mine to original post. I rolled back last week to 446.xx as those work best for me for sim racing.

Can you tell version what you are using?

Changing version of drivers not improve perfomance.
Tested 446.14 and 460.89 no difference.