My setup to have smooth experience in 4K

[UPDATE Change 11/NOV/2020]

Process Lasso

• Now I use the (dynamic windows acceleration)

MY SOFTWARE

• Win 10 ver 2004

Game mode setting

NVIDIA Control Panel (Now ver 456.55)

• New setting on Ctrl panel

MSFS 2020 1.10.11.0

• New graphic setting

**[**UPDATE Change END ]

First I’m NOT a guru, you have in this forum a lot people with more knowledge then me and English is not my first language, I’m just simple guy who want to show my step to be able to get ALMOST a stutter free experience. I just want to share my ideas, they aren’t perfect and it not the holy grail BUT if I can help a few of you, I’m going to be happy. I found most of my idea on the net and I will give the link were I found my
My idea was to used the biggest FPS eater the 787 dreamliner, so let start.
MY HARDWARE
Spec of my computer
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 9M Coffee lake Six-Core 3.7 GHz … OC 5 GHz
MB: MSI MEG ACE Z390 Bios 7B12v12
MEM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
PSU: EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W
Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series, H100i RGB PLATINUM, 240mm, 2 X ML PRO 120mm RGB PWM Fans, RGB Lighting & Fan Control w/ Software,
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive
SSD: 2x SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 2280 256GB
SSD: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid-Tower w/ 3 x Tempered Glass Panel, Front Side Mesh Intakes & 3 x 120mm
Monitor : LG 43UD79-B 42.5" 4K UHD LED IPS Monitor, 3840 x 2160, HDCP, USB
Monitor : 2x LG Electronics 24MP68VQ-P Black 23.8" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight
INTERNET: Bell FIBE 1Ghz

IMPORTANT
1- I keep my PC clean, so I remove dust from my case and fan I know it seem overkill but I also clean my GPU fan couple time a year. I’m surprise to see accumulating dust on those fans.
2- It a good thing to change or upgrade PC thermal compound to keep the CPU the
cooler that I can.
3- Because I have OC my CPU, I had set my CPU fan curve and my case fan curve to be more aggressive, the sound of the fan don’t bothered me because I use headset for my audio.

MY SOFTWARE
Win 10 ver 2004
This is the change I made in windows, see the red circle, For me this was a game changer, because after those changes, it became to be way smoother for more info check this video from Overkill, I had take some tips. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | Clean Up Stuttering | Improve Your Graphics - YouTube
1- Gaming Capture

2- On the file flightsimulator.exe

Process Lasso
I will show you the way I use it. My goal is to remove the most program on the Core 0 so I select all the program I see and deselect CPU 0 and CPU 1,

So basically, most of my program will not use Core 0 & 1, BUT some program will not allowed you to remove CPU 0 core, in that case leave it with all the core enable. The idea is to remove the more programs running on core 0

On the flightsimulator.exe

NVIDIA Control Panel (at the moment ver 452.06)

I use 29hz for the refresh rate, I don’t see a difference between 30hz and 29hz. It give 1 FPS extra in case my frame dip near the 30ish FPS

IMPORTANT
I make sure that my primary screen is the one I play MSFS2020. In my case it monitor #2. I found out, if I select another screen 1or 3 the V-Sync on MSFS will not lock my frame at 30hz

MSI Afterburner
1- I had OC a little bit my 1080TI on the CORE CLOCK I add 38MHz and on the MEMORY CLOCK I add 66 MHz, with those little adjustment, it wasn’t not necessary to add CORE VOLTAGE

2- This is my fan curve, With those setting my GPU don’t go above 75 Deg
Fan MSI

MSFS 2020 1.7.14.0
Because of my limitation of my hardware VS my 4k monitor, Is to achieve 30 FPS in most case with the 787 Dreamliner. It is important for me to have a balance between eye candy and smooth experience.
My MSFS2020 is install on my SSD: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe

My Plan

I use the 787 at KJFK on a clear sky at the RWY 31L without V-Sync and use the FPS counter in the DevMode.

1- I load the plane at KJFK, once in the cockpit I make 5 to 6 360deg turn inside the cockpit. I read that on the Bible for FSX by Nick N. When I do so it help to stabilize the FPS on the cockpit.
2- I play with my general graphics setting to be able to get my FPS above 35 all the time.
3- After I was able to get my FPS above 35 I flew toward New City and turn around Manhattan to see how goes my frame.
4- When I’m satisfy, I repeat the same process but with the weather at rain and storm.
I will show my setting but they are adapt for my system, my preference and my goal. Like I said the key for me is to have eye candy and a smooth experience

Graphics

TRAFFIC

DATA

Conclusion
I will show some picture of my result inside the 787 cockpit. I have some airport like EGLL who I’m not able to keep my 30FPS but overall I’m very happy with my result. When I’m flying and the data inside the game start loading will have some drop around 25-28FPS but for a few second. Also the fluidity camera is very smooth inside the cockpit

KJFK Rwy 31 Clear Skies

KJFK Rwy 31 storm

KJFK Rwy 31 Rain

KJFK Rwy 31 Snow

New York City

EGLL Clear sky

EGLL Storm

7 Likes

Thanks but all your screenshots are tiny and I can’t read anything in them. Possible to re-upload?

Ooups, yes I will

All picture re-uplaod

4 Likes

I updated my NVidia driver to 452.22 with DDU and for me it’s much better.
I have a 43 "4K 3840x2160 screen
with a 1080ti and I7700K at 4.5Ghz.
with my settings I am at 45fps.
I did not try above the big cities
attached my parameters if it helps

2020-09-12 184729
2020-09-12 184730
Great post Dervakon.
I will try your settings.
I also have a very optimized Windows.
The setting of the volsimulator.exe file worked for me too.
with a good optimization of the sim by Asobo and the sim will be great.
I find that with this driver my Gsync works better.

1 Like

Thank you BossMussel37801,
My idea was to lock my frame on my 4k monitor at 30hz (29hz) and use V-Sync in MSFS. Because my frame stay above 35FPS + and I lock my frame at 29hz it is a silky smooth flying experience.

I knew that if I was able to get good result with the 787, the other A/C wouldn’t be a problem and it the case. It the reason why I choose the 787 to do my testing on big city and on bad weather.

I plan to change my GPU but I will wait for the benchmark of the RTX3080 and RTX3090. It will not give me more frame but I will able to increase my setting who are GPU related.

Keep me in touch if you have some improvement with the setting

1 Like

30hz refresh rate is the magic here and being able to balance your eye candy to get a locked 30fps in the sim. Good to see you found the right setup for your hardware. Now enjoy the simulator the way it was designed. I’ve been flying 2-3 hours legs with no stutters, ctd’s or memory leaks. Everything in native 4K, it’s just amazing!

1 Like

Did you update your N’Vidia driver in 452.22?
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5074
this hotfix is good for my system.
maybe I had an installation problem with my previous driver (452.06).

452.22 also makes my system faster. But with same settings the textures are more blurry. Thats probably why it seems faster.

Great guide. Dunno if it applies to me, but Ill try a few of those settings.

1 Like

I didn’t test this drivers, for the moment I got great results with my settings. I will wait for the new patch if I need to change something. In that case I will try the new hotfix from Nvidia

Same principle here…
Vast 35" Nvidia has custom resolution of 3440X1440 @50hz
FS11 VS locked @60fps (only have 60 or 100 to choose from) but the sim only sees 50 from Nvidia.
i9-9900@5 rtx280ti
and many FS11 gereral settings are lowered a bit and I still get phenomenal views! Always get 50fps no matter where I am.

1 Like

I’m happy that you find your setting. For my part, I like more when I stay at 4k and leaving de render scaling a 100. Even if I have some setting in medium, I got better visual than reducing the render at 80 example and have the same setting at high. Also, I lock my frame to 29hz and because my setting give me more than 30 FPS, my sim is silky smooth, even the camera panning is smooth.

When I’m playing FPS I want to have the more FPS I can, but in fly sim I want to have fluidity. And that what I got with my setting