My thoughts after "calming down"

thsi yes, they need to add some kind of progressing feature, like start as a small pilot , and on and on and on up to the big birds.
that hotshot dlc we get later wont help, you cannot shoot anything in the sim, and thats good.
but to keep the people in quite a bit more is needed, oh yes. the challenges alone are way too simple.
we will see.

1 Like

I read that the LOD update that was to come with SU5 was removed and the old system put in at the last minute. Because of incompatibilities with the way scenery add on creators had done things and the new system meant that it would break a lot of add ons. Which is a shame as the new LOD method sounded promising.

Instead we got the new rendering techniques, but the old way of handling LOD.

Interesting to see if this true in the coming days.

Edit to add this quote from the last update SDK news.

“We have temporarily reverted the LOD selection mechanism to its previous state on PC. However, because it is important that you can check the state of your add-ons with the Xbox LOD selection mechanism, we have added an “Xbox LOD Selection Mode” option in the DevMode.”

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, im an xbox simmer and im not planning on leaving anytime soon either. When this sim was released on pc it was probably just as it is now, a lot of pc players wanted to see it and test it and then they dropped off, just as some undeniably will this time as well. But like you said, most people on here are probably underestimating the amount that will stay. I for one bought my series x just for this, and im sure a bunch of other people on here did the exact same thing. Im at the point where i can get my Cessna 152 up in the air from a cold start without the help of the sim now, i even started looking up airport charts and yesterday i learned about ILS, which i cant wait to start testing. There is such depth to this sim that isnt obvious on the surface and im having a blast learning and discovering the wonders of flight. Im a little embarrassed to say but i even got emotional after a my first 3 hour flight and landing successfully just as planned. I can feel it, i will be chasing this dragon for a while, guaranteed.

9 Likes

“Right now, a £500 Series X is value for money compared to a PC build for the same budget, which is why a lot of people like me have been waiting for this game to come onto console.”

I agree. Great value for money. I will upgrade if they decide to do a mid generation console upgrade and I’m sure that FS2020 will be updated to accommodate the extra power.

Now that consoles are in the FS mix, I think that will be positive for continual performance improvements to the SIM that will benefit PC and console users.

The transition hasn’t been smooth but I am excited to be flying and very hopeful for the future - just need the basics (crashes, immersion killing errors etc) sorted as a priority.

3 Likes

Flight sim has added an entirely new and potentially large population to its customer base in one stroke.
A percentage of console players will stay with MSFS adding new modders, painters, and players that would otherwise not be here. This is a good thing overall - for the franchise and for the community.
Give it time. Eventually they’ll want all the same things we want - higher detail, more fidelity, more immersion, more action. etc

6 Likes

What possible purpose is served by referring to anyone as a “filthy casual” ?

I am guessing you would not want me to make assumptions about you or your views based on no information (although I could and they would not be positive) so why do it about other people?

PC simmers are not some kind of elite. We are consumers of an entertainment product like everyone else and everyone else deserves some respect unless and until you have evidence to the contrary.

Oh and by the way, history suggests that referring to anyone as a “filthy (insert derogatory term of choice)” eventually ends badly for them

6 Likes

This is painfully true on this forum

4 Likes

Do you not know what quotations signify? And if you read what I said you would know I mentioned I’m not referring to anyone who would be reading this forum and referring to the types of people who downloaded and played the sim for about 20 minutes

1 Like

Yes I do know what quotes signify and yes, I did read what you wrote. And that is precisely why I replied.

The fact that you are excluding from your “judgement” anyone who takes the trouble to enter the hallowed halls of the forum only makes it worse.

My point stands.

1 Like

One also must not forget that the money we saved one buying the Xbox can now be spent on buying peripherals, and there are now more customers for the hardware people to sell to.

1 Like

Thanks for the input and your own perspective. I do hope that access to a broader audience does find more folks like you but at the same time I think that in order to broaden it’s appeal it does need something more. (career mode type stuff for example)

1 Like

I think the Xbox contingent (and funding from Xbox players) will be huge. But ahead of actual data being shared, we’re all just speculating. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was born in 1960, so I suppose I qualify as a Boomer (I’d dispute that, though - I come from the tail-end of the boom, which means that whenever I got old enough to do something, I found that the big Boomer locust swarm had already stripped it bare). Couldn’t be happier about the XBox launch. The hobby needs new blood. And frankly, after 30-plus years of wrestling with PCs and their bad behavior, I’d be happy to move over to a highly capable set-and-forget console. Seriously thinking about it.

Also - I’ve completely had it with this whole casual/gamer vs. serious/simmer nonsense. I live an easy commute away from the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum - where they do serious conservation and scholarship, have a bunch of exhibits and activities for kids, and manage to be the most-visited museum in the world without compromising quality. They can do it, and we can do it to.

Welcome, XBoxers!

13 Likes

I am PC user, but I have to admit, console gaming is the future, and they move closer and closer each release to high performance pc system.

I think cloud gaming is the future. Jorg also mentioned that Microsoft worked on making MSFS playable on Xcloud.

I agree with the OP, I thought about it and decided I would wait it out, but waiting it out meaning I’ll be playing a proper flight sim and not spending anything further in this (including time) until the changes come in that provide the much promised flight simulation experience for PC users.

2 Likes

MS have already stated they expect to bring xCloud (now running on Series X server blades) to Smart TVs this year. They’ve also said that next-gen games like MFS will be available to stream via xCloud to older Xbox hardware like the original Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X. No-one gets left behind.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a xCloud TV streaming stick being released as well.

So yeah, over time, the audience for MFS is going to grow, big time. The release to local console hardware is just the beginning. MFS strikes me as a good game to stream via xCloud, it doesn’t require quick reactions like FPS’s, which would be an issue with server latency.

More players enjoying this masterpiece of a sim is good for everyone.

3 Likes

First, your advice on loading a non demanding airport and then loading into a more graphically demanding airport just saved my flight. I had 3 straight CTDs at KBOS and then followed that advice and it worked, so thanks for that!

I will agree that right now the bulk of any flight community is PC based, but up until this point it was forced to be PC based. Only time will tell how the Xbox crowd will respond. I’m a hardcore PC only airliner simmer myself, but I do hope the Xbox crowd sticks around and supports our hobby. Microsoft is hosting/streaming lots of data, so we honestly need the Xbox money/sales to keep the new sim running. With each update there has been challenges, so I also have faith that Asobo will get it worked out for all parties.

The cost definitely adds up. If you go all out with hardware to play this at its best, it’s gonna REALLY cost ya.

Now that MSFS has been shoe horned into a $300 console, going all out with expensive hardware is just a waste of money. You won’t get any better graphics than on console. Very sad :frowning_face:

1 Like