Nasty FPS drop and lagging on take-off and landing

have you tried to restore your system to a day prior to your “three days ago”? takes 5 minutes…

that has helped me a few times

I wonder what will happen if you pre cache your destionation prior to your flight.

Im having the exact same problem and since new users cant create threads, Im forced to reply in here.

Why didnt they fixed this issue, if its a known problem ? Everywhere I look, there are tons of people complaining about huge FPS drops and stuttering near at runways/airports but nothing has changed.

• Turning off Photowhatchamacallit didnt helped a bit.
  • Turning every single setting off or on low didnt helped
  • Running hardware on stock settings didnt helped
  • Reinstalling Win 11 didnt helped

Even those easy tutorial missions are nearly unplayable because of those lags. As soon as Im in the air, it runs smooth like nothing ever happened.
Ive tested this on different systems with the same outcome.
I cant even refund this piece of … because it took me more than 4 hours to download it and Steam wont accept it.

Here, look at this. And this isnt even as bad as it looks in reality. Sometimes it freezes for 1-2 seconds.
youtu.be/2BIaXb_Qigc

Tested on:

5800X
6900XT
Aorus B550 Elite V2
SN 850
Win 11

and

5950X
6900XT
ROG Strix B550-F
SN 850
Win 11

When will this be fixed ???

i have so hard freezes… please give us a fix Asobo

Sounds like we have similar issues my friend, Check out my post and see the video for yourself.

Hey guy, I tried all of the above including other methods discussed with similar issues, AKA, fps drops and all that. The only solution that worked was, don’t plan a departure and arrival airport, for some reason the flight plan messes things up, so all I did was takeoff from a departure airport and left the arrival airport blank and the issue was completely gone. no more sutters no more fps drops.

Even though this a few months old, I am going to reply because I think what I say has value for others that land here with a #metoo

System specs are always important when asking for help with performance issues. But what I really want to know in order to advise on an issue like this is "what does CPU and GPU utilization graphs look like when flying when the FPS issue occurs?

That will almost always tell the problem. You can do that with a tool called hwinfo, and there are others, but what these tools do is allow you to graphs key performance metrics as you play/fly, which you can use to understand what is bottlenecking you.

GPU utilization should be high. It is not a problem to run with GPU utilization at 100% for hours. That will do no harm – assuming your system manages heat properly – and it is actually desirable. It means the GPU is doing its job.

GPU high and CPU low is what we want to see on a system that is performing well.

If CPU is high, and GPU is not high, then the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. The CPU literally cannot process quickly enough to hand off workload to the GPU as fast as the GPU can work.

More than likely, when one experiences severe FPS drops, the CPU/GPU graphs will show CPU high at that time.

In that case, you have to turn down world detail level, number of objects, etc. The CPU has to manage all those things, and calculate the physics for those things, etc.

It isn’t always going to be a matter of CPU/GPU, though that is going to be the case most of the time. Disk IO can come into play also, but these days it is safe to assume the thread OP is running SSD or better. Also, games/sims still tend to be designed to work with disk IO not great – by loading from disk way ahead of time, etc.

Then there is also a possibility of insufficient system memory. These days, it is presumed that thread OP’s are running 32GB of RAM, and if that isn’t the case, that could be why the system bogs down – especially if disk IO is old spinning platters – because without enough system RAM to cache from disk, the data from disk can’t be preloaded way ahead of time, etc.

Then there are also going to be cases where other software is to blame, or even hardware drivers. Or power management, etc.

Just want to say, I’ve been doing this kind of stuff a long time, and have actually had jobs were my sole specific purposes was to assess performance and capacity and solve problems – in financial trading systems though. But the principals of modern systems performance principles are pretty common across gaming/simming/ and financial/scientific systems.

1 Like

look at minute 38:45… same stutter like mine/our problem? its perfectly smooth but close to the ground stuttering for a short time… and its so disturbing and kills the immersion…

4 Likes

I experienced the same. I found out that it was the aircraft liveries that are causing the massive stutters. Use the default liveries and the stutters are gone. Weird i know. But i worked for me.

1 Like

i have the default ones :confused:

1 Like

I know its cliche but you shld do try these to find the cause of your stuttering. I did these and found the cause of mine. Its a good idea to set everything to lowest, turning off all online features, disable live weather etc etc and then work your way up to pinpoint the cause.

1. see if its the airport addon (if you are using any) that is causing the stutter.
  2. set settings to lowest and see if theres any stutters and then bump up the settings slowly.
  3. turn off atmospheric effects in developer mode and see if stuttering persist (no clouds)
  4. check if any 3rd party mods is causing the stutter ny emptying community folder.
  5. lower resolution?
  6. turn off PG as what ppl mentioned above

Its likely not the sim itself. Its some settings or mod that is causing it because if it is the sim’s issue everyone would experience it. :wink:

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:

I cant see the stutter at 38:45 but its perfectly seen a horrible stutter at 38:47 exactly in the moment when the wheels touch the ground/runway.

I have the same problem. Not only nowadays but I have suffered this problem (yes SUFFERED) at least through the last 12-13 months. If I start the sim and make a flight with any aircraft (the cessna 172, the B747, the DA62, the FBW A320, or ANY plane), I have the stutter that its seen in the video no matter where I land, it can be in a massive airport like KATL, EGLL, KJFK or a tiny one lost in the middle of nowhere like SCIP… even I can land in the middle of the Sahara desert where there is NOTHING to load and have the stutter when the wheels touch the ground.

Its very curious but if I make a second flight when the same aircraft its very possible that I will not have the stutter when I land, then the probably of having the stutter decreases from 100% to 30% aprox. I think the problem is related to the sim cache but even if I turn on the sim cache option I still having the stutter the 100% of times in the first flight and the chance to solve it in the next flight is high.

So, what I always do is to start the sim and make a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery small flight with the desired aircraft, just to take-off and land immediately even in the same runway just to have the horrible stutter/lag when the wheels touch the ground, then to finish the flight and make the second one that is my desired flight and can be as long as I want and the chance of solving the stutter when landing is high but NOT 100% sure… sometimes even in the second flight I have the stutter… as I said, the chance of not having the problem during the second flight its around 70% but not 100%

I tried all kind of solutions like downgrading the graphics, flying without live weather, flying without live ai-traffic, flying without addons, and nothing helps. Even I have the impression that if i downgrade the graphics the problem is bigger. The only kind of partial “solution” is what I already described above.

Everything what I say its just my experience and I just want to share it with all of you so can help you a little bit.

Asobo should fix the problem. We shouldn’t be experimenting and finding solutions for horrible issues like this one that its not new… the stutter/lag problem when the wheels touch the ground has more than a year and NO real solutions from Asobo side :triumph:

1 Like

Everyone needs to vote. Please add vote.

Otherwise is goes unheard

2 Likes

Hey, yeah i meant that too… i just said 38:45 so people wont miss it 2sec later u know

1 Like

I undesrtand :wink:

1 Like

My 10700k is at 5ghz and I still experience the fps drops and stuttering in the sim.
As of recent I turned off photogrammetry and it completely eliminated stuttering during takeoff and landing even while on the ground.

1 Like

wow nice, lets buy an expensive cpu and disable all the futures that makes it look like a modern sim… not offending you… but the devs

1 Like

I noticed the same. At Strasbourg airport on ground a lot of stutters with photogrammetry ON and nothing with photogrammetry OFF. Even if performance is worse since SU7. Before all in ULTRA and now with 36FPS and after I had to adjust my settings.

I first posted this topic back in October 2021.
There are some posts that deal different (if related) topics, but anyone with an open mind who reads the evidence MUST come to the conclusion there’sa major fault that ONLY appears when Photogrammetry is switched on and disappears when PG is switched off. It has nothibng whatever to do with hardware or settings. Something in software after around SU5/WU6 messed enormously with performance when PG is switched on. Not for everyone, but for a very substantial number of users. From our usually helpful and very smart friends at MS/Asobo: silence.

4 Likes

In the end I returned my new pc as the stuttering was too bad (and in other games too). Now I’m back with my gtx1080 and 6700k waiting on a decent prebuild with a 12700k to become available.

1 Like