(NDU registry change) Increase performance immediately! AMAZING!

I don’t really know. It works fine for me. But maybe it is something only concerning certain PC-configs, just as random as the behavior of msfs

Dear all, i had exactly the same problems that my performance went bad after a specific time or what others were mentioned after long haul flights. I tried nearly everything, but right now its not occurring anymore.

History:

• Tried the NDU fix, did not work, but its still active

Right now:

• Switched off Photogrammetry
  • Switched off Rolling Cache in the Sim (Before switching off deleted it)
  • I have the google maps replacement addon with high LOD enabled and the Cache in the Mod set to 100 GB
  • Traffic in the SIM switched off due to just flying on vatsim

It seems one or more of those mentioned points solved it but not sure why or which one of these. i can maybe try to find out which one.

System is Ryzen 9 5900 x 64 GB Ram and 3090 graphics card.

Graphics settings just set to ultra with vsync on to 60 fps. Resolution is 3800 x 1600 and i have 60 fps with the pmdg 737 when flying and around 40 when at bigger airports with a lot of vatsim traffic, but its running smooth and no degradation.

Some people already mentioned also it can have something to do with the connection to Microsoft / Bing as some people also wrote about the dev on dev off solution.

I am happy that is gone

Did anyone tried removing the HDMI audio drivers? I don’t use them and was wondering if that would help?

Thanks

They certainly used to cause problems with other software in the past, so I removed them; and, after my last hardware upgrade and fresh install of Windows 10, I have always omitted them from the Nvidia driver packages through a clean install each time.

1 Like

Doesn’t work here.
Also turned off Photogammetry and deleted rolling cache.
Doing a 4.5+ hour flight and the frames just tank when I’m panning around the cockpit.
I’ll wait and see what happens with SU10.

Hello
You can try the following.
I am doing 6-7 hour flights and it seems to work.
Now I will see how it behaves with 12 hour flights

Points to highlight and for me the most important 4,5,6 and 7
(I hope it helps and everyone can enjoy)

1 Like

Save as ‘Default NDU.Reg’:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndu]
“Start”=dword:00000002

Save as ‘Modified NDU.Reg’:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndu]
“Start”=dword:00000004

Just click which one you want to use! Just reboot afterwards!

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I tried this NDU fix and it worked for me.
Performance is better, in outside view when i rotate the camera around the plane there are no more hitches, stops and stutters!
:+1:

Yeo, I’m normally sceptical of these sorts of ‘tweaks’, but the difference is night and day for me. Significantly less stuttering

The biggest difference I’ve found has been from creating a custom driver when NVIDIA updates. The driver they send out is filled with nonsense that slows your PC down in the sim. I’ve used the ‘skinny’ version for my last three driver updates, and my stutters and issues have been reduced to the days when MS/Asobo releases their updates and their servers are slammed. It’s around a 5-7 min process once you get it down.

1. Download new/current driver from NVIDIA’s site for your specific GPU
  2. Wipe old driver
  3. Reboot in safe mode with all internet connections disabled(so your PC doesn’t update on its own)
  4. Unzip the driver you installed, open it, and select the parts of the driver that are needed. Disable the other nonsense using NV Clean Install
  5. Install driver
  6. Reboot, turn your connection back on, and enjoy.

I recommend taking a screenshot of your NVIDIA control panel settings. They will reset to the defaults on updates.

Here’s the latest one:

1 Like

For anyone that finds their browser opens randomly (usually on an MSN page) from what I gather it may be specific to a certain type of router and their ISP’s policy. However there is another registry fix very close to this NDU one which can stop the browser problem dead.

Only if you know your way around the registry, i.e. at your own risk

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Services
NlaSvc
Parameters
Internet
EnableActiveProbing
Right click , Modify
Change the value from 1 to 0

I use both fixes and tbh if I didn’t have such good results I wouldn’t be sharing this.

Blockquote
The driver they send out is filled with nonsense that slows your PC down in the sim

Do you have documented evidence for that?

Open your task manager when you’re running the sim. Check out how much NVIDIA stuff is running in the background. I

Yup with BlackSanta 100% on this. Driver performs much better when you decrap it.

Do you stop all the other things Task Manager shows?

So you are able to make nVidia’s driver run better than they can by a few simple steps? They should give you a job.

Read BlackSantas post it’s about removing unnecessary processes like It phoning home every couple of minutes.

Ah, it’s 1996 again and Black Viper’s service recommendations…

2 Likes

I just follow the instructions in the video I posted for every driver update. Go to 1:00 in the video. He shows his task manager. Then go to 9:30. There you’ll see all of the extra stuff that’s normally packed into the driver. Almost none of it is necessary. All bloat. The first time you do it, it may take you 10 minutes or so to get the process down. I’ve done it 5 times now. I can get through the entire process in a few minutes. There’s others who post a lot on the forum that do it too.

The two nVidia ‘containers’ in the shown Task Manager amount to just short of 13MB and never change from 0.0% CPU usage during the time it’s shown. Conversely his MSI tweak app is using more CPU.

Where exactly is the huge gain here? The ‘bloat’ is additional drivers that might very well be installed but will never be used if you don’t have the hardware that makes use of them.

2 Likes