Need Help With Symbolic Links in Community Folder

I’m hoping someone can help me here. Problem is: the symbolic links I create in the Community folder are not being recognized. (I don’t want to use AddOns Linker)

Background:

1. I installed MSFS from the X-Box Store on drive D (it’s own separate drive; not the C drive)
  2. I have my third party airports and airplanes organized in their own folders on that same D drive.

So, when I drag/drop a symbolic link (via Link Shell Extension) for an airport into the Community Folder, of course it appears there, but the sim doesn’t show the airport as available in the game.

If I instead I copy the airport into the Community Folder, like any normal bloke would do, the game does recognize it and it shows up in sim as expected. So the community folder is working from it’s location on the D drive.

That’s about the extent of it. I feel like I’m doing something stupidly simple-wrong, but I can’t figure it out.

Anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

M.

Does Link Shell Extension actually create a symbolic link, or is it a hard link?

I’m not an expert here, but I think there are differences in the type of link, and you need to be sure it’s a real symbolic link. I think last time I tried to do it on my own (without AddOn Linker) there was a specific command line syntax needed to create it.

Or course, here is where I’ll say just use AddOn Linker and not worry about these details :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i found i had to drop the link as a “junction” for it to work for me

1 Like

That’s true MSFS seems to recognize only junctions created by “mklink /J target source” (this does not require admin privileges).

1 Like

Nope - Symbolic Link via Link Shell Extensions 100% works on my W10 pro.

Overlay Icons for Symbolic Links
To help distinguish Symbolic Links from normal files/directories, an overlay icon is implemented on symbolic links that shows a light green arrow icon under the folder.

Right-click on desired scenery folder and select Pick Link Source

Navigate to the destination folder (community).
Open the Drop As … submenu and select Symbolic Link

Launch MSFS.

Link Shell Extension should create junction links. I will probably try AddOn Linker at some point soon, but I tend to go for keeping things organized manually.
Thanks, BigCow.

M.

NetGrant,
Just tried dropping it as a junction and it did work. Up until I reinstalled WIndows 11 a few days ago, I had been using all symbolic links in the community folder (this was Windows 10)

So, this is a new install of windows I’m working with. Maybe it has something to do with permissions.

Anyway, thanks. I can use junctions if need be.

Zwen
Same here. I’m signed in with a windows local account. I’ll look into privileges – because this all worked with symbolic links on my last installation of Windows.

TenPatrol
I’m trying your method but it is not working for me. Thanks for the detailed explanation with pics, tho. I’ll look into permissions. There’s something funamental that I’m overlooking here.

Anyway, thanks, guys. If you have any more thoughts I’d love to hear them.

M.

Have you tried the add-on linker? It’s very easy to use and takes care of what you’re looking to do. I’m currently running 1,513 add ons via a separate drive than where the sim is installed. They all work just fine and are easy to manage via the tool.

Hey BlackSanta, I probably will try it at some point (I know many people swear by it), but I’d like to get symbolic links working just the same – if only for my own curiosity.

If I start using AddOn Linker, then that’s another piece of software I have to have faith in it’s continuation and support over the years.

Not a big deal, but I just like to keep things a simple and understandable as possible. The least moving parts, the better, so to speak.

M.

1 Like

Good luck. I’m keeping an eye on this as I wanted to use symbolic links initially.

1 Like

Maybe this will help.

Reference:

2 Likes

I use the MKLINK command all the time. Works great, highly recommend it if you don’t want to use Add On Linker.

2 Likes

Thanks, RonS and CricicalClub – I’ll give it a go through command prompt. But I’ve got so many to create, I may just end up using AddOn Linker if I can’t get it done through Link Shell Extension.

It just looks like MSFS is not recognizing simple symbolic links in the Community Folder created through drag/drop via LinkShell Extension.

Again, I have not tried it with command prompt yet.

M.

1 Like

100% works on my OS.

TenPatrol, maybe it’s a windows 11 thing. I don’t know.
This didn’t happen until I installed Windows 11 (clean install) and re-installed MSFS.

Go to community folder - copy path and paste into topic.

1 Like

I tend to use Junction points rather than symbolic links, and never had an issue with them.

The only real difference between the two is if you create, and access them on different machines, so both should do the same job in a single computer scenario.

1 Like

H:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-1957421520-3008539413-1889401979-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

Thx - 4 sure problem with permissions.

Do not, do not, do not move msfs launcher!
Install launcher on C and “big game files (packages)” on D,E,F partition / hard drive.

3 Likes

Good advice. That’s how I’ve been running it for the last few months. Works well. I should have done it long ago.

1 Like