Need tips on keeping the plane stable after touchdown

Oh Dear … but so many lessons to be learnt from that Video …

Glad he was ok, even if his Ego was damaged, but not as much as the plane.

I love that his highest priority, once he came to a halt, was to grab the Camera, and turn it off !!! – and then later Post the Video on Youtube !!

1 Like

It’s not just you. I have a lot of time in real 152 and 172 and the ground handling in the sim is bad.

Do you use rudder pedals? I’ve been using my racing pedals as rudder pedals and it’s much better than my x56 hotas joystick twisting rudder.

When you touch down in a C152 or a C172, and you have weight on the wheels, it like it is running on a railway track … (lets assume no crosswind)

In MSFS, it is as if you have landed on a frozen lake with bald tires, and there is a significant “varying” crosswind.

If a RL Cessna landed and slid around like they do in MSFS, I would be spending a fortune on new underwear !!

2 Likes

I have the Saitek combat pedals. They are kinda sucky but they work.

I think some of the problem is we don’t have that “seat of the pants” feel like you would in a real airplane. Watch some of the older Flightchop’s videos when he was learning to fly a trial dragger, it is like doing a dance with the rudder peddles to keep the plane in line on landing. We just don’t have the motion feeling and we by the time we correct is now in an over correction state.

if you have pedals like i do you just have to realize since its so much more sensitive then a real plane you have to make really minor corrections i mean tiny like for example if you touch down and start drifting right i always have a tendancy to over correct with way to much left pedal and you start to swerve back and forth this applys on take offs to you just barely need a teency bit of right pedal to counter the torque
i tend to prefer dual engine prop planes the torque problem seems to be less of an issue

1 Like