Nerfed Cruise Winds

Perhaps it is just me, but has anyone experienced winds aloft to be much higher flying at high alititude to be ‘nerfed’? Example, flying west, a headwind can be 80-90 knots. Flying east, from the same point where the winds equaled the previous statement, they equal 50% (40-50knots) of tailwind.

“flying west” and “flying east” is a quite unprecise description of where you actually faced the issue.
Also check meteoblue for wind and compare to what you get.

It is quite a general question, however I have faced the issue while flying in the continental US with onair. Example, flying into KSFO with a head wind of 80 knots on a westerly approach. Leaving KSFO, 15 minutes later, headed to KORD, and an easterly departure, at the same FL, I get a tailwind of 40.
I absolutely looked the the meteoblue wind map. I do this because flying with onair, wasting time is horrible. Anyway, perhaps it is just me. But perhaps someone else has noticed.

Don’t mean to nitpick but… if you are flying at any FL and do an approach into KSFO, taxi to the gate, unload your passengers and reload for a return leg, enter your new flight plan, get your clearance, taxi out, depart and climb back to same FL, I am betting that a bit more than 15 minutes have gone by.

In the time it takes to turn around a commercial flight there could be frontal system hit the airport and move on before you even get a chance to push back. I have conducted real flights where I bucked a head wind in both directions. I would hesitate to say the wind was “nerfed”, but, trust me when I say, my luck was definitely “nerfed”!

The only way to test your theory would be to turn around in flight to see what your tailwind is.

1 Like

Then here is a quite general reply :slight_smile:
Winds aloft are mostly generated by jet streams. Since jet streams have a prevalent direction (depending on where you are) it’s completely logical to have predominantly east or west winds.

1 Like

I think their issue is not the direction but the wind speed.
But a generalized question without any screenshot to help figuring out what is wrong is hard to reproduce or answer.

At the same position and altitude, winds aloft shouldn’t change a lot in an hour or so, especially if it’s reproducible for TO.

Happens IRL all the time. You are facing a 70kts headwind on the way to your destination, thinking, great, if we are on time, the same 70kts tailwind will bring us home earlier.
On the return flight, an hour later, the expected tailwind is of course gone.
Strange enough these things only seem to happen when you would expect a tailwind on the way home.

1 Like

But not reproducible like the TO suggests. Or maybe I misunderstood them.

As @willisxdc mentioned. There’s no way to descend from your cruising level, land, turn around and climb again to your cruising level within 15min.

Even if this would be possible, the altitude difference on the way back will be (hopefully) at least 1000ft.

As I said, having screenshots, positions, timestamps would help.
You certainly can use slew or sim rate to get it in 15min and it’s simply hard to tell what TO is actually comparing.
The KSFO example isn’t really precise in whether the compared conditions are actually comparable.

Your general reply failed to answer my general question.

Flightsimulator.exe, go see for yourself. If you don’t see it, then come back here and say so.

Thanks!

Nope, your provided information simply isn’t enough to try anything.
Since you seem to be able to reproduce the issue, please provide more data and screenshots, can’t be that hard.

Having a bad day today?

Yes, my tail winds are nerfed. :slight_smile:

Way too little info to confirm that.

1 Like

You’re asking for help and then personally attack people trying to help you.
Not sure if you know how a community works…

1 Like

That is not true. I asked a question. To see if anyone else has noticed something similar. It is then that you became hostile, which surprised me as well. In any case, thanks for your time.

Uhm…:

Maybe time to self-reflect. You’re asking for help, I asked for more details which you refused to provide.

You’re welcome.

What does “nerfed” mean?