New AMD Driver 21.5.1 Released

I’m not holding out much hope that this will fix the CTDs on my RX5700XT. There’s no mention of fixes in this area on the release notes.

Might try it this weekend anyway, in the meantime I’ll stick with the 20.10.1 release which has been the most solid driver for me to date.

1 Like

All of us are awaiting for fixes from AMD side… RX6900XT onboard and CTD too frequently… -.-

1 Like

Why do you think CTDs are related to the graphics card and specificly AMD cards?
Is there an issue with AMD drivers currently?
All games seem to run fine and always have regardless of driver version.

The only driver that works consistently for me in MSFS is the 20.10.1. All later drivers produce ctds on my system and many others!

1 Like

Just a tip, perhaps it works on your systems too. I had also several CTDs with my 6800xt.

After I changed the dip switch at the graphic card to balanced bios mode (instead of boost mode) and switched off all AMD graphic improvement settings for the flight simulator I had no CTDs anymore. Of course this will not help everybody but I just want to share it.

4 Likes

If the other drivers are bad everyone with that driver would have problems, so there must be something else going on too because a lot people with AMD cards are playing without CTDs and there are also people with nvidia cards having CTDs.

A lot of people are having CTDs currently in MSFS and not in other games, which means the problem is the instability of MSFS. If the driver is bad it should give problems in all games, not only MSFS because more games use DX11 to talk to the driver.

The only app I have that is gpu intensive is msfs2020. There are MANY other discussion threads on here discussing the AMD drivers if you do a search.
All I know is on my system with the RT5700XT I can only use the earlier 20.10.1. I am going to look into this bios switch (if I really have one) on my gpu and try switching it.

Yes hopefully it works for you. I’m just saying not everyone with that card and driver is having CTDs, so there must be something you have different from them not having issues.

Why would you even want to update drivers at this point? If it’s stable (I also still run 20.10.1).

Newer drivers will mostly focus on the new 6000 series cards, and are not likely to bring anything better to your 5700XT anyways.

I’ll only update drivers if I see a specific mention of MSFS in the patch notes.

1 Like

Agreed. I reinstalled just yesterday after I got a blue screen with a “TDR” callout. Did a factory reset and stayed with 20.10.1

So far, so good…

1 Like

I’m just hoping that they provide a current driver to resolve the ctds that affect so many of us suffer.

It’s always better to be using current WORKING drivers that support or enhance features and hopefully improved optimization. It also prevents catch 22s when seeking support in the future and am told to update your drivers first.

so you’re getting CTD’s on the 20.10.1 drivers?

That was quick.
21.4.1 was released few days ago and was catastrophic for me (6800 XT).

Had to revert.

No, I don’t get any ctds on 20.10.1. Any driver after that, I do.

Then again, my question; why do you want to update drivers if none of the patchnotes after 20.10.1 have made any mention of optimizations for MSFS (especially if it’s the only graphics intensive program you use)?

In my opinion; if it’s not broken, don’t try to fix it.

2 Likes

I guess you didn’t like my previous answer to your question…:blush:

And forgot to mention, 21.4.1 seems to have introduced a newer AMD Crash Defender.
The service/process has a readable name now instead of “amdfendrsr”.

I stay with 20.11.2 with 6800XT. I logged 34.5 Hours without any Probs. Before that i was trying 21.4.1 and got first CTD after 6 Hours and second after 8 Hours, after the third CTD (10 Hours) i gave up. I will pass. 20.11.2 FTW.

1 Like

hehe, I was just curious.

I understand the want to be on the latest version in case of tech support (and that’s valid of course), but figured that if you’re not getting any CTD’s on 20.10.1, and are only really using MSFS (heavy graphics workload wise), then you wouldn’t really need tech support.

No worries, and I hope they’ll get around to it, but I fear that ship has sailed with the launch of the newer generation of GPU’s and more and more new games launching (which is often the case).

I am… not frequently, but every now and again it happens.