New ATC Voices?

I was on a flight from KSAN to KRNO, when I got a splash screen in my cockpit about I think “ATC voices not available” or something to that effect. Then I started getting randomly different ATC voices unheard before. Is this a new service turned on in MSFS, as of today (10/09/21)? Its as if someone just flipped a switch. Its possible the ATC is going to be streamed from their end., like weather or scenery refreshes. BTW, the ATC commands are still the same, not very realistic. They use syntax like - “climb/descend to 13,000 feet” As a real pilot, this is not correct syntax, should be "NxxxAB climb/descend one tree thousand, or one zero thousand. I know, all in the works.
Anyway just an observation.

ATC is streamed and those are the more realistic voices.

The message you saw was a notice that the steaming failed and the sim reverted to default windows voices, from your local machine.

When you fly again, you should hear the Azure voices again, assuming the servers aren’t acting up.

1 Like

Those were likely the Windows Offline instead if Azure voices, you can select them in the main menu. Sounds a bit like kindergarten though.

1 Like

If you missed the warning text message, the kid’s voice warns you then! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This has happened to me a few times since SU5. Never happened before. They all sound like they’re on Thorazine.

You can change the Offline voices, but that requires changing the Localization settings on Windows (i.e., there are Australian, UK, Irish, etc., options).

I really wish a proper implementation of localized accents using Azure online would be something considered / in the works. It would add a huge amount to immersion (especially once we have real liveries as well).

There’s nothing quite like being cleared for takeoff by an infant.

1 Like

This Wishlist topic may interest you:

1 Like

I am not a fan of the Azure voices. I’m curious, if I turn Azure off, would it be possible to install new TTS voices somehow in Windows and have the sim use them? I preferred the ATC voices way back in P3D V3.

1 Like

That sure does - thanks!

1 Like

I doubt it, the default Windows TTS doesn’t sound like a bunch of teenagers, yet the MSFS voices do.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.