New MSFS 2020 - Cessna L-19 Bird Dog to be released today

And I am one of those enjoying it. It adds some old used military character into a fleet that was more modern and sterile. The developer worked very hard at this since release. It is a worthy addition for those who enjoy low and slow VFR. By the way, it was the first warbird for the new sim. The first amphibian conversion, and the first aircraft in which we can see the passenger from the VC. Kudos to the developer.

2 Likes

This is NOT a quick hack job anymore. The developer has put in some real effort to improve the aircraft and the quality is better than at release. I would actually recommend this to anyone, most of the initial issues have been rectified. A few remain, but hopefully those will get addressed. Please donā€™t write off this aircraft based on some initial findings - it deserves attention.

2 Likes

I am one of those who gave this product a negative review.

This product is still behind the PSX/P3D version in terms of total features and the release was way too premature and overpriced. That said, the developer has issues several patches that have gradually addressed many of the concerns and improved the product massively.

Previously, I would have advised people to avoid this product but now it is in much better shape. It is still not to the same level of fidelity or quality as the Carenado offerings, but arguably more stable, easier on the framerates and a fun bird to fly. The Carenado planes are also not devoid of their own issues, of course.

To anyone on the fence I would say purchase with caution and some faithful optimism that the developer continues as they have in improving the product. If you purchase and find it lacking, with luck, in a few patches, you will be satisfied, if youā€™re not straight away.

3 Likes

Is ist just me or are the views a little bit strange or not in the right place in cockpit?

Heres another one who is happy with buying this plane-model. If you want a float-plane or a real old school Bush-plane with dials theres not much alternatives atleast for now. And the person/persons behind it are making it better for every new patch. Each to their own ofcourse, but i think you get your moneys worth. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I havenā€™t had that impression- can you be more specific or give us some screens? In the initial stages the panel was zoomed in more than what many found comfortable, but IIRC this too has been improved.

Havenā€™t had a chance to fly it, but I did take a look at the gauges real quick this weekend.

Great Improvement!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s cool, the cockpit is what I watch 99% of the time ā€¦ and itā€™s very close !!!

The liveries I wouldnā€™t mind if they were low res, even if the external model of things you donā€™t see from the cockpit was low poly. I was quite heartbreaking for me before, the exterior had a lot detail, the interior little.

I guess Iā€™ll buy it the moment it comes to the marketplace.

1 Like

Love the aircraft but the constant and radio static that comes with it is annoying. As it plays across all aircraft after installing

??? :thinking:

1 Like

In the image of the cockpit in the first post it looks like there is a CDI on the right hand side. Can this plane turn to VOR beacons? I donā€™t see a way that you would do so in the screenshot.

Yes it can.
The VOR display on the right side of the panel is yoked to the VHF NAV radio above the pilots head on the left bulkhead. It can be tuned to VOR frequencies and is functional.
There is an ADF radio above the pilots head on the right, currently non-functional. With any luck, perhaps BBS will render this radio operational as well in some future update, which would allow us to track NDBs.

3 Likes

Gradually???

Itā€™s been a couple weeks.

And the SDK isnā€™t even close to complete. He had to do a lot of work on his own to even get this working as well as he has. I just picked it up a couple of days ago, and just flew it for the first time yesterday after upgrading to 1.5, and Iā€™m very happy with the purchase, especially for the floatplane version. A couple niggles here and there (engine is too quiet, environment sounds are too loud, but thatā€™s easily addressed), but overall very happy.

3 Likes

I think to date theyā€™ve done a good job with the L19.

Iā€™m surprised that by now we havenā€™t seen some releases from other 3rd party vendors. I read a post from one of the larger companies, that said they had been working with Asobo for almost a year, and Asobo had helped them a lot.
I see a couple of they 3rd party vendors (not naming the source) are each doing a A320 Neo, ā– ā– ā– ā–  one is enough from Asobo. Why the heck spend all that time to duplicate vanilla aircraft ? ? ?

3 Likes

One thing I find a little on the downside is that you cant change the aircraft registration on these, would be great if the aircraft would carry over the registration you enter in the sim like with the defaults and the carenado aircraft. Hopefully at some point the developer will update this so we can.

I reported this to the developer and he said itā€™s a limitation of sdk and will be looked at, when it allows that.
Makes me wonder, how Carenado did it?:thinking:

-eelis-

Yeah Exactly if Carenado can do it then it shouldnt be a limitation at all.

Carenado probably just used other programming methods than sdk only.

-eelis-

I donā€™t think Asobo / Ms has released the ā€œfullā€ official sdk, what was released was late. More signs that the Sim was rushed to market.

1 Like

He just needs to spend some time looking at the examples of Registration in any of the models. Thereā€™s no limitation there. Itā€™s part of the gauge implementation.