New night lighting ... WOW ! (DX12 really neccessary ?)

Why is the sky so bright though? it’s supposed to be really dark, not realistic at all.

4 Likes

You’re not the only one, the flickering is quite distracting. I made a thread about it for the Xbox version. [Xbox] Night lighting flickers after SU6

Amazing, what a great job they have done with this!

This only happens at Dubai, it is because of desert areas, they said they are trying to solve the issue in these places. The rest of the world looks perfectly fine now, no sepia mask :wink:

1 Like

Full Moon perhaps?

3 Likes

Not only in Dubai. I flew in some other places at FL37 - and the yellow patches were the same as before. Without any single difference. I was even wondering if the night lightning improvements wasn’t mean to be released on this update. That perhaps I got the Update schedule wrong.

2 Likes

Well, as you can see from every single picture posted in these forums, the yellow patches now only affect desert areas, while the rest of the world looks fine.
I have flown over Madrid, Barcelona and the Canary Islands and there are no longer any yellow patches.
If you are claiming there were no changes, then you are clearly wrong.

Sorry, but are you saying that I am lying…
Let me to log again and show you how does it look like for me. Perhaps there are more areas than just the deserts, the wold is big enough. And if it not happens in your area it would be better to listen to what other people saying before putting them into the wrong.

4 Likes

Here, we are. Yellow spots on the dark background. Exactly as I remember it before.

Another example. Road lights are disappearing as you climb higher. And later you only see the light spots.

P.S. Tried to pull my rendering scale up to 200 on 1080p display - no changes.

It’s like this all the time in the sim for me. And even with full moon the sky shouldn’t be this bright

2 Likes

To me sepia mask in some certain areas are still visible.
Out of curiousity, what does DX12 do ?

2 Likes

Nagoya before SU6 -

SU6 -

Much better, still some tweaking would be great… but marked improvement for sure.

Both taken from FL280

10 Likes

I have the same issue. Asus RTX 3080 and experiencing a significant performance hit with everyting @ ultra in 1440p

The new night lighting looks incredible. For me, the only thing that really needs significant improvement is the look of tall buildings / skyscrapers at night. They look too dark - if you fly over NY / Chicago at night, the skyscrapers look much darker than the surrounding city, which looks odd and detracts from the realism a bit. The buildings also have quite unnatural looking patterns of lights on them, which again takes away from the breathtakingly realistic look of the rest of the game.

Have MS / Asobo ever said that they’ll be looking at this aspect of the game? It’s quite incongruous given how amazing everything else looks.

7 Likes

Exactly why. Both pics are from midnight:
Full moon - Oct 20th

New Moon - Oct 31st

7 Likes

I’d say that’s pretty realistic!

The lighting from higher elevations has improved greatly. But still for me if I fly lower at say 1200ft the lights look too blobbed/large. Running at 4K
Will try a few more flights today to verify

2 Likes

This has always been my rant too. Skyscrapers look abandoned (literally) or have had their power cut. Way too dark compared to surrounding area.

6 Likes

Dang… Has there always been this much detail in the moon??

1 Like

Your lod was set at 400? and others ultra? if yes there might be bug on higher LOD night not available on some area it should reach 40k. In all case report area that have issue on Zendesk and here.

No, I am saying you are not the brightest light in the ceiling, the pictures you arr providing are from space, and the sepia mask is gone, you are seeing light radiation from the cities lol

As provided by another user:

Nogoya in SU5

Nagoya in SU6