NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

Here is a link to 466.63

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/175870/en-us

Fixed Issues in this Release
[VR]: If the GPU is connected to a 4K UHD TV, the system may freeze when launching a VR game. [3313315]
[RTX 20 series][GTX 16/10 series][HDMI]: 4K @ 120Hz display mode is not available from display settings. [3312401]

No problem with it.
4K at 100, 200, 200
i9-9900K, 64 GB
GTX 1660 TI

In the States, they were sold out before the advertisers could hit the ‘post’ button…

1 Like

It is a shame.

Nvidia and AMD can blame it on the Corona Virus, etc…

Can’t help but think is is just greed.
Can’t help thinking they saw it coming but didn’t care.
Money, money, money.

1 Like

And global-heating-ignorant cryptoscum.

4 Likes

Installed the new driver 466.63.

No issues so far. Got 18902 graphics score in Time Spy, on a pretty warm day (CPU runs 4-5° hotter today). I hit 70° now… I had like 65.

But my weird issue with stuttering + flickering of ground textures during taxi still persists

Just a reminder that Guru3d have an active forum which includes Nvidia drivers. The discussion for 466.63 can be found here …

For the ‘rude’ version of 466.63, (naked version, which I will install later) here is the link …

1 Like

@MSFSRonS, actually, they can.

There is undeniably a worldwide shortage of chips, and not just the ones that run our GPUs. I saw a news article the other day that said that someone, I don’t remember if it was Ford themselves, some distributor, or even a single dealer (though I doubt the latter) had 15,000 F-150s just sitting on a lot somewhere that were done and ready to sell. Except for whatever chip(s) they require that they cannot get. We recently leased a new Hyundai Tucson for my wife, and we only barely managed to get one for the same reason.

We actually missed out on her first choice because they lacked enough chips to build more of them and ran out of inventory, but that turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the Tucson is superior in every way.

So when Nvidia and AMD claim they can’t get enough chips, they are not lying. There are other factors, of course, but the manufacturers can’t control most of them, and I’m talking of course about scalpers, and the people who enable them by buying from them.

The other uncontrollable factor is the whole crypto issue (who will happily buy from scalpers all day long), and while they’re trying to address that by hobbling their products ability to do the math necessary to create crypto, at todays prices, even after the recent losses, it’s still worth it to the miners to use the hobbled GPUs. If/when (it’s inevitable IMNSHO) we get a real market “correction” on the price they’re currently getting, then that may change.

I’m sure they’d love to be able to make enough GPUs to meet demand (after all, having nothing to sell is not a viable business strategy), but because of the chip shortage, they literally can’t build them quickly enough. Greed does play a role, but so far that role has been limited to selling the 3080ti at $1,199 instead of the $999 price everyone was expecting.

But it’s not limiting the total supply available.

I cannot argue with everything you state.
I agree with that point of view.

But, companies have 5 year , 10 year plans and have the ability to predict what the next x years will happen.

Of course, Corona Virus was not possible to predict.

But, I wonder what would be the situation with “chips” if, say,
Intel (or another vendor) had/has a graphics card that competes with Nvidia/AMD and is selling like hotcakes?

@MSFSRonS well, remember, Intel owns their own fabs, so if they want to make chips for their own products, naturally it’s their right to do just that. But to the best of my knowledge, they don’t currently offer a GPU that’s stout enough for MSFS usage. Sure, it might work, but it’s not going to be anything like what AMD and Nvidia offer. And beyond that, I’m pretty sure they weren’t making chips for them anyway.

With all that said, I would expect they’re concentrating more on their x86 products, and possible some imbedded processors that most of us (most certainly including me) have never even heard of, than anything else. They’ve got 11th Gen x86 going out now, and 12th Gen by the end of the year- and that one might interest me, if it can offer a significant boost for MSFS… but by significant, I’m not talking 5%, I’m talking more along the lines of 50%. That will have me reaching for my wallet.

That’s my $0.02.

Intel’s Xe-HPG architecture employs energy-efficient processing blocks from the Xe-LP architecture, high frequency optimizations developed for Xe-HP/Xe-HPC GPUs for data centers and supercomputers, high-bandwidth internal interconnections, hardware-accelerated ray-tracing support, and a GDDR6-powered memory subsystem. The DG2 family GPUs are set to be manufactured at TSMC and are projected to hit the market in late 2021 or early 2022.

At present, Intel’s highest-performance discrete GPU is based on the Xe-LP architecture and features 96 EUs. Therefore, an Xe-HPG-powered graphics processor with 512 EUs will offer significantly higher performance than Intel’s existing standalone GPU. Rumor has it that the performance of Intel’s graphics processor with 512 EUs will be close to that of Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 3080.

1 Like

I work in an industry that purchases various microchips at both the silicon wafer and finished goods level.

The Semiconductor shortage is absolutely real!

It used to be when purchasing, I might see a typical 4-6 week vendor lead time for most items (custom parts might take up to 8-12 weeks), today is a completely different story… Now I have to plan a minimum 4-8 months ahead for most items and in some cases an astounding 16 months!

Trying to manage available inventory and customers needs has become something of a balancing act since the start of COVID :upside_down_face:

P.S. Yes COVID has a part to play in the shortage, but there are many factors that came together to create the perfect storm!

4 Likes

Screw those Asian chip manufacturers. Let’s go back to vacuum tubes and water cooled radiators! Should only take about 1,000,000 diodes and a 5.7KW power supply… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I still think that they could/should have seen the future need for more chip manufacturing.

I have just tried MSFS 2020 with the 466.63 drivers, (the ones with bloat ware removed) and installed an update to the simulator that was released on 31st May. With my i72600K and GTX 1070, the performance over Chicago from Meigs with the pay-ware Meigs scenery installed and third-party city enhancements, the performance was surprisingly smooth with 1080P high settings yielding up-to 50 FPS. I was using the C152. I tried the same A/C and settings from Macosim EGCC and the experience was awful. Stuttering and FPS averaging around 30FPS. Serious stuttering when panning with TrackIR. Overall, I would say the performance of the driver is probably good. The poor performance may be due to the Maccosim add-on airport, I need to spend a lot of time testing. The real weather out-side is too good to miss…Charles

The only problem with that theory Ron is that the 'Rona wasn’t something that was predictable. Sure, you could have put it on the list as inevitable “someday”, but there was no way to know that “someday” would be early 2020.

It did have at least one good side effect, though, and that’s the trend towards telecommuting, which I’ve been an advocate of for decades. I’m not sure it was worth the price, though.

@TheAviator3506, what sort of “bloatware” are we talking about here?

1 Like

I know they can legitimately blame covid for the situation, but what they can’t excuse away is marketing another variant of the cards (the 3080ti) that just makes the situation worse whilst they can’t fulfil existing orders. That’s where, for me, this turns into they are making their own problems.

3 Likes

Safe to update drivers? I had to rollback to get better performance

But THEY don’t have any problem. They are selling the cards at any price they ask. They don’t care if miners or gamers buy them. They are making more money than ever. As long a people buy them, they will sell them and continue to raise the price until it starts to kill off sales.