NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

Thanks for the info. One huge question, however.

Will doing this prevent Windows from installing a generic VGA driver when doing an Nvidia upgrade in the first place? Because if it doesn’t at least do that, and then something bad happens, say a power outage in the middle of the upgrade, you may end up running with no graphic driver(s) at all, a situation which I have to think would be bad.

Kev

I use the normal power mode with my 3080.

In idle my card runs at 210mhz instead of 1960 or so in idle :wink:

1 Like

What glitches do you have?
I monitor that AA is worse and moire effects are prominent in the last time. Maybe it’s because I maxed out everything on ultra in 4K with my 3080. especially thin lines are not really a joy to look at

1 Like

Windows KB5005033 update A fix for ‘Game Mode’…

What’s new in the KB5005033 cumulative update

With the KB5005033 update, Microsoft has released numerous security and non-security improvements. For example, Microsoft fixed an issue that prevents power plans and Game Mode from working as expected, resulting in lower frame rates and reduced performance while gaming.

Another bug has been fixed that causes the File Explorer window to lose focus when you are mapping a network drive.

I will enable Game Mode after applying this Win10 update and test it out. We had been advised to disable Game Mode up to this point for quite some time.

Windows 10 Build 19043.1165 has fixed an issue that prevents gaming services from launching certain games for desktops.

Could this be a fix for some people who have not been able to launch the simulator I wonder?
It sounds like this might be a problem that has effected a small number of users?

’ Following the March and April updates, Windows 10 has been suffering from an annoying that affects the performance of nearly all popular games. The company rolled out updates to reduce the impact and a definitive solution is now finally available for everyone.’

3 Likes

Eklester,

l am noticing the same, especially with the moire effect. I think l have noticed a gain in performance, (not FPS) which has allowed me to push up my settings, perhaps at the expense of lower graphics quality from the driver. The graphics do look good enough to satisfy me and l will continue to test the driver out…

Charles.

471.68 Studio Drivers in VR are good for me so far:

2 Likes

Hi Captain,

Thank you for sharing the comprehensive study of your graphics settings. The only difference between our Nvidia CTL Panel settings is that I have threaded optimisation to ‘On’. I think either way on my system, it does not have much difference what this option is set to. An interesting post…

Cheers!

Charles.

@TheAviator3506
I thank you for your kind words. It does make a difference in VR to me though, significant enough to recommend OFF. In 2D however, I used to recommend ON (along with Latency ON and VSync FAST)

1 Like

Capt’,

I have been able to push my in-game simulator graphics settings to what would be considered as unrealistically high, pre-SU5. I have an old i72600K and a GTX 1070. I certainly have seen a noticeable improvement with screen graphics however, I find it hard to believe that my simulator is really running at the very high settings I have now set. I keep pushing up the settings and the FPS appears to remain the same, it feels as if something is broken?

EDIT: I have started my simulator again this afternoon with the 471.68 and changed my Nvidia CTL panel graphics option to ‘Quality’ from ‘Performance’ and gone is the moiré effect and the graphics are virtually pin-sharp and performing extremely well.

This must represent a magnificent achievement by Asobo, something that has never been achieved in any other version of MSFS. As for the 471.68 driver, everything is working so well for me, I will not be uninstalling the driver. My ‘Render’ slider is working, if I push it to 200 I get 20FPS+. I have now moved from a Render scale of 100 to 155-175 which is amazing! :smiley: Here is a screen-shot with FPS limited to 30FPS within the simulator.

Not even a hint of stutter on this fly around CYVR with very high graphics settings and live traffic!

Charles.

5 Likes

Just tried out the latest Nvidia driver 471.68, seems to be running fine so far on my 2070 Super.
I have my fps locked at 35 fps in the Nvidia control panel and was getting about 80-90% GPU usage in most areas.
The interesting result is with the same settings, and same preset weather and location etc… my GPU is now at 65-75%
Might crank it up to 40 fps and see how it runs.

3 Likes

Im running it on my i7-6 gtx 1080ti and the only difference that I really see with it is that the detail on the ground is a little better. But something could of changed at the server as well, no way to tell for sure.

3 Likes

There are some positive reviews of the 471.68 driver, here is one review of the driver in VR…

Charles.

I can second that.

3 Likes

It take it those stutters are just poor video recording

Speaking of Stutters…

I have just updated to 471.68, and I have very strange ‘lags’ or stutters when panning up and down. The stutters always appear at the same spot(s): When either panning up or down, the stutters appear just before the front window comes in full view. I doesn’t matter how small the panning movement around this point is.
It also doesn’t matter if I’m panning via mouse, track hat or in TrackIR. Especially for the latter, it’s really annoying. Panning sideways doesn’t produce noteworthy stutters at all. It is not particular to any special aircraft. It appears in the C152 as well as the CJ4.
And I have just checked against X-Plane11, and there is no such thing. So it is not likely to be the driver by itself…

I did read somewhere that some pilots were getting stutters with TrackiR. This has happened after SU5 according to what l read. As you say, it’s unlikely to be related to the latest Nvidia driver.

With regard to the Game Mode fix from MS, l have discovered that in my case at least, it appears that it is still better to keep it turned off.

Charles.

1 Like

471.68 Game\Studio There is still a bug with a flickering landing light. Rolling back to 466.77

2 Likes

Ffowcs,

You might consider reporting that to Nvidia. I have tried this driver at night and had no problem.

For everyone else…

The official Nvidia driver 471.68 ‘Feedback thread’…

I no longer recommend DDU for removing drivers however, I do use it myself from time-to-time. Here is an interesting article from Wagnard, (the software developer) on how to use this tool properly and when to use it. They stress the importance of using System Restore, obviously because the tool could potentially cause problems in some rare circumstances. If you want to read-on about Nvidia drivers then this is the official forum for that.

BRGDS

Charles.

Since installing this driver I’ve had 2 CTD where it seemed to be stable beforehand.

It could always be unconnected but I’m going to go back to 466.77 and see how it is.

2 Likes

I am running the latest studio drivers and getting outstanding performance without CTDs, no mods, no hard or soft overclocks (except a recently reduced ram one which is tried and tested), no GeForce, no Ryzen Master or Dragon centre etc. just my fully updated hardware and system … Except for the as yet uncorrected bugs I could not be happier.

1 Like