NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

Mattius, that sounds great! I will have a go with the slimmed down driver, either tomorrow or Saturday. I have a new Win 10 update too installed which is supposed to be good. Charles

Was this with the ā€˜Weight-Watchersā€™ version or the Nvidia update? Also, clean install or straight update? Thx.

1 Like

Nvidia, just the driver. CLEAN install!

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ll give it a whirl.

1 Like

Same here. I havenā€™t been able to complete a flight since updating the driver (471.11) without a CTD. In fact, I canā€™t even make it to the runway!
Iā€™m flying the FBW A32x, and itā€™s just CTDā€™ing randomly during the flight setup.
Iā€™ve just reverted the previous driver, so Iā€™m gonna try that.

Delete alll files and folders from community folder and fly again.
Select Cessna.

1 Like

Let us know how, and if you fix it. Charles

******* Did you disconnect your computer from the internet when you installed your new driver? If you did not then Windows will install an older Nvidia driver over your new installation!!! Microsoft only like you to have GPU drivers on their systems that they have quality checked, unfortunately MS get behind ********

I have just installed the ā€˜weight watchersā€™ driver version of 471.11 and I disconnected from the internet when I did the install.

Just a thought for anyone updating drivers.

If you read the release notes, It says do not roll back drivers

Do Not Use Windows Rollback for Graphics Drivers
To reinstall a previous or older NVIDIA graphics driver, do not use the Windows rollback feature.
This method will not reliably restore all the previous driver files.
Instead, use the Windows Add and Remove programs to remove the current driver, and then
install the older driver using setup.exe.

1 Like

Very good point! I have just tried out 471.11, (slimming version) with the latest Win 10 update and all is well. Far fewer stutters now but nothing ā€˜ground breakingā€™ on my aging i72600K and 1070 GPU. interestingly I was prompted with an update screen when I started the sim, I donā€™t think anything updated though. I just clicked continueā€¦ Charles

(EDIT: Originally I said my FPS improvement was ā€œsignificantā€, but after considering that, I changed my wording slightly because I think the truly significant change was the big reduction of stuttering, which could possibly give the perception of drastically improved FPS. My statement as a whole still stands though, the new driver has definitely made an improvement in performance.)

I updated to 471.11 last night and saw a noticeable improvement in overall FPS, and it has removed virtually ALL stuttering problems for me. :slight_smile: Example: previously, when operating around KORD, and flying over the surrounding area, the stuttering was just awful, nearly unplayable, and certainly far from enjoyable. :frowning: But, last night, after updating the driver, I flew around KORD and over the downtown Chicago area for nearly an hour, and it was SMOOTH! I saw only the very brief (and expected) couple of hiccups when scenery was loaded from time to time, but otherwise, it was a much better experience over anything before. :grinning:

I did not turn on the FPS counter because I feel like visual perception is a better way to tell if the experience is enjoyable, and numbers tend to distort my expectations, but if I had to guess, Iā€™d say I was getting consistent FPS in the low to mid 40ā€™s. That may not be great for some people, but when you donā€™t have those nasty microstutters all the time, that 40-ish FPS becomes perfectly acceptable. Heck, I guess it could have been higher than that, I dunno, maybe Iā€™ll check it tonight. In any case, Iā€™m excited to get off work today and back to doing more test flying to see if the performance improvement is consistent in other places.

Specs:
i7-10700K
RTX 2080
32 GB RAM
2560x1440

2 Likes

Excellent result for you Scarmax! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:Charles

1 Like

So weā€™ve had everything from significant performance increases to CTD-fests with these new drivers. As the CDT-fest result seems to be very limited, Iā€™d have to opine that thereā€™s something else at work there, and itā€™s unlikely to be a problem. So, Iā€™m going to try the new ones, better performance is always a plus, but according to my framerate counters (which are commonly known as eyes) mine is pretty good both in 2D and VR, but better is always better. Maybe then I can fly into Charles de Gaulle, though Iā€™m not sure why Iā€™d want to.

But Iā€™ll give it a shot, if itā€™s an issue, Iā€™ve already got the files saved to revert back if I need to.

2 Likes

What I donā€™t understand: since the latest drivers / bios updates on my Aorus rtx 3080 extreme, I canā€™t use the full 121% of power limit.

My card was rock stable overclocked running at 420-430 watts (limit is at 450w).

But since recently it never does. FS crashes always with OC. The card does not consume more than 380ish watts.

I have to use the debug mode to run the card in FS and stock values.

Not an NVidia issue. Gigabyte lowered Power Limit with last version of VBios for some RTX 3080 and 3090 including your card.

Check here, first post is from ā€œZenithā€ lower in this page, or do a GG search and youā€™ll find lot of people impacted:

I was lucky with my Gigabyte RTX3070 Gaming OC, they didnā€™t change performance for my cardā€¦

Thanks, I didnā€™t know.

But, gigabyte has still the F3 BIOS on their site, which was the one which raised the limit to 450W, but seems not to work anymore if I roll back

This is weird.

My guess is they changed all vbios version they propose to match NVidia recommendations. You can eventually check the TechPowerUp collections of vbios for your card (VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp) as itā€™s users who upload their vbios (I uploaded few of them). With some luck youā€™ll find a previous (F3?) for you without the Power Limit lowered. In any case before proceeding I strongly suggest to check forums (like reddit) to find other people impacted with same GPU and if they find a way, like the one I provide, to flash a corrective vbios.

Based on the F3 from the Aorus page, itā€™s the old ā€œoriginalā€ one

So, itā€™s not BIOS i guessā€¦
Nvidia told they have limited something for miners, maybe the power limit is part of it with the latest drivers

Update:
I have rolled back the driver to 460.89 and now I can finally run FS overclocked. Iā€™m pretty confident now that the power limit is introduced with the Nvidia drivers.
Finalised 3D Mark stress test, 20 Loops with 97,4% passed.
FS runs overclocked now 40 minutes without a CTD and I see power consumption up to 442W

1 Like

Wow, great you found the cause. Iā€™m surprised, I also OC heavily my GPU and benchmark each new drivers. So far didnā€™t see such limitation with my card, hope Iā€™ll stay lucky for future drivers :wink:

1 Like

Just installed the 471.11 driver using GForce Experience. Config is i7 10th, MX330, 16GB, SSD

No issues, smooth flightā€¦ 21FpS (+2FpS irt 19 before the install), location Martinique, Medium / LOD 100 / 80%RS. I donā€™t notice any difference in sharpness or scenery quality, only a slightly better FpS.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had mixed results in VR with 471.11, but Iā€™m also having mixed results since WU5 as well with lots of CTD compared to before. Iā€™ve had CTD once just clicking a parking spot on the mapā€¦

Yesterday Iā€™ve tried 471.11 Studio Driver (dch) instead, and it was much better to me, but this might also be due to cleaning up previous settings and bloat: I usually just install drivers over but this time I tried differently:

• I made a slim version of the driver installer (dch version) in manually deleting the bloat like this:
    471.11 - Clean Version | Page 10 | guru3D Forums
  • I only install core driver and physics as usual
  • I checked ā€œcleanupā€ option to delete all custom settings and used defaults for FS2020
  • I kept HAGS OFF otherwise I find SteamVR fails quite often.

Iā€™ll explore a little more in the coming days though.

PS: system with 2070S

1 Like