NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

I think this video really highlights/demonstrates the amount of ‘bloatware’ that come with the official Nvidia driver and all the different background processes that are communicating with external IP addresses from the Nvidia driver. This is why I use the Guru3D driver with the extra ‘bloat’ removed.

I would remain cautious about using DDU as advocated in this video unless you really need it to fix a serious problem. Of course back-up the registry and create a restore point if that is what you want to do. I use the tool from time-to-time but really not as much as I used to.

I am not sure about the claim he makes, that we have been installing our drivers wrong?

Does anyone use NVClean Install?

Charles.

2 Likes

Been using NVCleanstall for ages. Wouldn’t install a driver without it. Much more preferable than downloading a “bloat free” driver… I prefer to choose what bits I’m installing.

As for DDU, there’s no reason to use it unless you’re having serious issues. I prefer to use it if I’m going to go back to an earlier driver version, which is not often but see no need to use when simply updating drivers. nvidia actually do a good job these days of cleaning up their installs.

2 Likes

I received an email from the NVIDIA Display Driver Feedback team:

Hello ffowcs,

We received your feedback below. Unfortunately our QA team was not able to reproduce this bug. We did fix a general issue that could lead to flicker in some games and may help with this game. This fix will be in a new driver scheduled to be released later this week. Can you give it a try when it is released and see if the bug persists? If it does, can you take screenshots from the in game graphics settings and send it to us so that I can pass it a long to our QA team to help them secure a repro of this issue?

3 Likes

Hi FFowcs,

Well done, this is really interesting and reassuring to get positive feed-back from Nvidia. We will have to wait for the new driver release this week…

Thank you for posting your information/up-date to us.

Charles.

1 Like

Latest drivers are available (471.96)

2 Likes

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/180225/en-us

Fixed issues…

 DPC latency is higher when color mode is set to 8-bit color compared to 10-bit color.
[3316424]
 Unable to detect supported display modes for the Samsung Odyssey G9 display [3332327]
 Blue-screen crash/reboot loop occurs when two Samsung Odyssey G9 displays @ 240Hz are
connected. [3256732]
 NVDisplay.Container.exe constantly writes data to C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA
Corporation\nvtopps\nvtopps.db3. [3350171]
 [Windows 11][Notebook]: With the graphics mode set to Hybrid, the GPU frequently wakes up
while idle. [3345922]
 [CUDA][Turing/Volta GPUs]: Stability issues with Topaz Denoise AI. [200755368]

Waiting for Guru3D links…

If you want to try NVCleanstall to customise your driver installation, follow this link…

Charles.

4 Likes

This might account for performance problems indeed! Thank you for sharing the news!

Don’t forget the list of known issues though:
Windows 10 Issues
 [Deathloop][HDR]:TDR/corruption occurs in the game with Windows HDR enabled.
If this issue occurs, toggle the Windows HDR setting.
 [NVIDIA Control Panel]: After overinstalling the driver using express install when GPU scaling
is enabled, the 0.59x upscaling factor is missing from the NVIDIA Control Panel scaling
resolution list (Display > Change Resolution page).
To work around, disable and then re-enable GPU scaling. Alternatively, perform a clean driver
installation.
 [Battlefield V][DirectX 12]: The game may crash with HDR enabled. [3353767]
To work around, enable HDR from the Windows display settings before launching the game.
 [YouTube]: Video playback stutters while scrolling down the YouTube page. [3129705]
 Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 may display graphical artifacts. [200754013]
 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed may crash on courses where players drive through
water. [3338967]

And the release artcile:
New Game Ready Driver Released | GeForce News | NVIDIA

4 Likes

Hi Capt’

Your welcome. I will try the driver this afternoon and will try NVCleanstall for the first time, just to learn something about this software. It would be great if we actually have a driver release here that has a measurable benefit to the flight simulator, (with reference to NVDisplay.Container.exe). That’s more your domain, a bit esoteric for me :grinning: Thanx for posting the ‘known issues’.

BRGDS

Charles.

1 Like

Bug with taxi and landing lights seems to be fixed.

5 Likes

Hi TenPatrol,

Oh yes, I remember you had this. That’s great news. I did not notice too many postings about that issue in the forums. Thank you for letting us all know about that.

Cheers!

Charles.

Taxi\wings\landing lights issue - resolved. I confirm.

4 Likes

Weird Lighting Bug - Bugs & Issues / Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums
and many more :smiley:

4 Likes

TenPatrol,

Oh dear, I though someone would put me right, tempting fate with my statement! :laughing: My excuse is: I never had that problem and did not look for a solution. Thank you for up-dating me. I will follow your links to see how people get on. I hope you posted your results in the other threads and shared your good news?

Cheers!

Charles. :grinning:

1 Like

Hmmm… I had 10 bit colours selected in the Nvidia Control Panel. Now with the news diver I can only select 8bit.

My display is HDR10

Hi again Capt’

I tried NVCleanstall for the first time. I can’t say that I was overwhelmed with having to learn how to use this software. I was given the option to remove ‘NVDisplay.Container.exe’ and I do not need it and decided not to install it. For anyone who has not used this software, it’s basically an advanced installer that gives you control of what you want to install by clicking boxes, a description is given for each option on what it does. I downloaded the driver an pointed the NVCleanstall to the driver location. Very easy to use.

Charles

2 Likes

@TheAviator3506
Thank you for the feedback with this tool. I usually do it manually instead:

1. Unzip the NVidia driver .exe (with 7z for example)...

nvidia_slim_step1

2. Delete these folders...

3. Edit the setup.cfg file and remove these lines...

Then run setup.exe, don’t select GEForceExperience, and select the components (I only install Video driver and Physx, and unselect USB and Sound)

Credits: several posts at the guru3d forums

4 Likes

Thx for sharing.

2 Likes

What’s the benefit to delete the container exe?

1 Like

Eklester,

Good question!

This process has been associated with high CPU usage in the past with reports going back to 2019, if so and assuming it’s the same problem, it’s taken a long time to fix. I don’t appear to need it and given the reports about it, ‘if in doubt, leave it out’. Anyhow, here is some older information which I include because it explains what the process was/is now for. The suggestion is that the process is collecting telemetry and presumably uploading it to somewhere on the internet? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could enlighten us…

Charles.

1 Like

Thanks for the info about NVcleanstall, just used it and I like it!

2 Likes