NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

FS2020 1.12.13.0
ASOBO Cessna Citation CJ4
CPU = i9-9900K
GPU = Nvidia GTX 1660 TI
Memory = 32GB

Display = Ultra - 3840 X 2160

KJFK - New York to KEWR - New Jersey
IFR and ILS

Downloaded new Nvidia Graphics Driver (461.09) and was very surprised with
very improved graphics performance.

Now flying Ultra with Avg FPS = 11 to 17. (MSI Afterburner)

But what is surprising, flight (CJ4) is smooth and scenery is smooth.

I could not fly this resolution before.

If this holds out as true, a great improvement in the driver by Nvidia. Even for the non new 3000 GPUs.

You might want to read the security bulletin and review this assertion. It doesn’t read like this to me, but I might be wrong too: some versions are unsafe this is true, but the 457.30 which was discussed shall have the security fixes.

You might want to visit the VR forum from time to time, some are reacting to the fact some others are finding the simulator “fluid” at 30fps
 :joy:

Don’t quite understand your point as I don’t use VR.

As stated, I find it “fluid” at 11 to 17 FPS. “fluid” meaning non stutter, etc

I’m with you!

I’m just ironing out sometimes in VR, there are legions of people crucifying you if you pretend anything is fluid at 30fps. I let you imagine at 11 !

1 Like

As an old Marine, we would say: “Semper Fi, Go with God” or:

In this context, “Fly with God”.

1 Like

Thanks for your continued responses, CptLucky8.

You are right, I am not a developer and the more I try to understand this,
it seems the worse I get in understanding.

CPU-Z Benchmark (x64 - 2017.1) Best CPU performance - 64-bit - January 2021

valid.x86.fr

CPU-Z Benchmark - CPU-Z VALIDATOR

Best CPU performance - 64-bit - January 2021

CPU--------------- Single Tread-- Multi Threads
i7-9700K/8C8T------ 547----------- 4191
i9-9900K/8C8T------ 545 ---------- 3779

I couldn’t believe that a 9700K beat a 9900K and I bought a new Z390 MB and 9900K to loose processing power.

Then I figured out the need to select 16 vs 8 threads on the chart.
i9-9900K 8C16T -----NL----------- 5512 where NL = not listed

Although the 9900K does Hyper-threading and 9700K not, I guess this does not make any difference in CPU performance. Assuming Multi Threads on the chart does not mean Hyper-threading.

But when the 9900K came out, Intel said it was the fastest gaming CPU and was not challenged.

So why look at all of this? I can’t see why.

As you all have stated, FS2020 only processes with one main core/thread.
Save a lot of money.
Stay with your 9700K and MB.
Fly FS2020 and be content from a pure FS2020 context.
Note that I did buy the 9900K also for Hyperthreading and other Applications.

Fastest Gaming CPU does mean Fastest Gaming but has nothing to do with
FS2020.

But 1 final point and 1 final question: I promise.

Point 1
Why in the world would ASOBO spend the Millions of $, Talent/Manpower
and Investment to develop a new Flight Simulator on a program that only uses the capability of a CPUs 1C/1T to provide a rather very complex program?
Granted, the GPU provides the Video processing.

Question
My initial statement that has never been answered.

I did see from 9700K 4.7Ghz to 9900K 4.8GHZ
An increase in performance (FS2020 DEV showed the CPU stopped displaying CPU throttling).
The NVidia GTX 1660TI displayed new improved colors and graphic details that no one will accept I really see on a TCL 4K HDR 65 inch QLED TV in FS2020 4k Ultra with smooth CJ4 handling (IFR/ILS) and smooth graphics at 11 to 17 FPS.

CptLucky8, I would really love to understand this but I guess it would be better to let it go.

Thanks again for your responses. Bless you for your patience and desire to help me understand.

I still love FS2020 and love flying it. Thank you, ASOBO

1 Like

Hi all
Nvidia have just released a Geforce Hotfix driver 461.33 available through Guru3d as Geforce Experience won’t see it as a new driver.
Among a few game fixes it has a fix for SteamVR:
[Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (Without using any Hardware monitoring tool). [3152190]

Anyone tried it yet in VR as I’m using Oculus for openXR at the moment on a link cable for my Quest 2 but if this helps will try Virtual desktop again.
Cheers

Same identical performance as the latest official driver. In other VR games and steam home the stuttering seems to be fixed. Unfortunately it doesn’t help with FS2020

1 Like

Point 1 Answered

If you are interested in the FS2020 concept of only one main core/thread processing,
this is a great topic:

MortThe2nd
you can’t spread the load from the ‘main thread’ to other threads. One of the main jobs of the main thread is to keep all the other processes synced up, so it can’t be spread out.
Asobo are still optimizing this, and are trying to move as many other loads over to other threads, but every process moved, will always have an effect on the main thread, since it’s yet another thing to keep synced up with all the other ones.

CourrageRapace9
The developers talked about that during the last event on twitch, they said they already tried to use all cores on the CPU but there is still work to do. I have the same issue and I’m wait for the patch ASAP.

Nitraxn
You don’t understand how multprocessing works. One software thread (like the fabled MainThread) can only run on one CPU thread at a time. Depending on OS scheduling this thread may run all the time on a single core (showing it as “pegged” at 100%) or sometimes it is constantly moved between the cores for example to spread the heat (showing a 25% usage on each core if you have 4 cores). The operating system tries to run threads on their own physical cores if using hyperthreading. Hyperthreading may look like two full cores, but running two threads on a hyperthreading core maybe only gives 30% actual performance improvment even if monitor says 100% usage.

RemisLT
It won’t, don’t listen to him, he doesn’t understand how things work.
By increasing resolution you put more load on GPU which leads to GPU bottleneck. So if the game is bottlenecked by CPU and if you increase the resolution at some point you will reach a resolution where your GPU becomes a bottleneck.
So switching to 4k you’ll get less fps, more load on GPU and less load on CPU because there will be less frames to process.
For now it’s CPU limited and you can’t do anything. Cores don’t matter, only single thread performance matters.

aparsons671
With a game like FS, there is one thread that is in charge of everything that is calculated and tasked. That thread is called the world thread. In FS terms, it’s the MainThread. The main thread asks for a flight model calculation, asks for files to be loaded, asks for memory to be copied, asks for data to be calculated from the multiplayer engine, tasks the ATC engine to make decisions and everything. Those other tasks can sometimes be delegated to other threads. You can load 10 files at once from the hard drive instead of waiting on one by one depending on some factors, but each file loading may use a different thread to do so. Until all the tasks are completed by the workers, the MainThread can’t move on to the next step.

MortThe2nd
The main thread will always be the limiting factor for most games, and especially for more complex (racing/flying) sims. The main thread keeps the tasks that have been offloaded to other threads in sync. It doesn’t work like for instance a tile-based renderer, where it doesn’t matter that 1 tile is rendered before another. In a sim this can’t be done, and it will therefor never utilize 100% of all cores.

Stating that it only uses 1 or 2 cores is complete nonsense, it uses around 8-12 threads currently. It’s just that the core that’s running the main thread is having the heaviest load, and is the limiting factor.

4 Likes

Fixed Issues in this Release

• [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: The game may crash on GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs. [163107]
  • [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: HUD in the game is broken. [3169099]
  • [Resident Evil 2 Remake/Devil May Cry V] Games which used the RE2 engine may crash in DirectX 11 mode [200686418]
  • [DaVinci Resolve]: Error 707, application crash, or application instability may occur. [3225521]
  • [Adobe Premiere Pro]: The application may freeze when using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA). [3230997/200686504]
  • [Zoom][NVENC]: Webcam video image colors on the receiving end of Zoom may appear incorrect. [3205912]
  • [Detroit: Become Human]: The game randomly crashes. [3203114]
  • [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (without running any GPU hardware monitoring tool in the background) [3152190]
  • [Assassin’s Creed Valhalla]: The game may randomly crash after extended gameplay [200679654]
  • NVIDIA Broadcast Camera filter may hang. [200691869]
  • [Zoom]: Chrome browser flickers with Zoom app. [200695072]
  • [G-SYNC][Surround][RTX 30 series] PC may restart when enabling NVIDIA Surround with G-SYNC enabled on RTX 30 series GPUs. [3202303]

These drivers (461.40) cause CTD for me.

Rolling back to 457.30 resolves it

Edit: newer drivers seem to be more sensitive to overclock than older ones. I dialed back my GPU overclock, and CTDs went away.

I have tried them and have not had any problems. I am using a MSI GTX 1070 OC.
Charles

461.40 also runs without any problems for me (MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC).

2 Likes

please don’t forget to mention which kind of graphicscard you own, in special in case of trouble :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, that’s the identical card to me which gives great unexpected results in FS2020!
Charles

1 Like

I have a 3090 FE + 5950X

Edit: newer drivers seem to be more sensitive to overclock than older ones. I dialed back my GPU overclock, and CTDs went away.

This is why there is no problem for you most likely: there is no changes in any new driver for 10xx for a long time now. I can even predict the next one will work the same on your card, flawlessly, unless of course they introduce a major driver bug affecting everyone.

Wrong, the 461.40 runs a little less smoothly than the 461.09. With the 461.40 I have slight frame drops and the loading time of the MFS is also a little higher for me. But today I also went back to the 461.09. I could have left the 461.40 installed as that driver caused no problems and could live with the slight stutters, but the x.09 just feels better. However, the difference between the two drivers is also noticeable on a GTX10xx.

Slight and Little are not indicating more than difference between sessions from day to day and has nothing to do with:

[Updated]

I was trying to find some information about the latest Nvidia drivers, from 446.14 to 461.40, and I came across this user doing a lot of benchmarks. I didn’t spend much time into all the details he is publishing but it might be interesting to some users:

https://www.reddit.com/r/allbenchmarks/comments/j7j00s/pascal_benchmarks_for_whql_driver_version_45671/

@AlexE75 I might have wrongly express myself because when I read your comments I have a feeling you’re thinking I’m trying to arguing with you which I’m not. You rightfully corrected my wrong assertion about the security bulletin, for which I’ve amended the “recommended for VR” post, and I’m not here arguing about anything AGAINST you. I’m just saying there should be little changes for the Pascal architecture for a certain number of driver versions, because most efforts in the drivers are naturally drawn to supporting the new Turing, then Ampere architecture, and there are some commonality in the architecture for which any change benefits all these across the board, but most release notes are insisting on Ampere and Turing centric enhancements and bug corrections mostly for while now. This is why I believe (but only believe) there shouldn’t be as dramatic a change from 461.xx to 461.yy on Pascal, whereas it could be dramatic a change on Turing and Ampere. And this doesn’t preclude there is a change you can measure and notice on your hardware as well, I just think it shouldn’t be expected to show huge changes, which you agree on when qualifying it as “little” yet “noticeable”.

Oh, give me a break. You said that with a GTX1070 with a current driver (I can even predict the next one) I can’t see any difference because there are no more changes for the card. I’m sure the serious problems from your quotes exist, but I’m just writing here about my experience with the driver with my computer. I think I will end any further discussion with you. Yes, that is probably for the best.

1 Like