NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

You want to tell millions and millions of users with GPT systems that.
That is not correct.

MBR is old technology and has been replaced with GPT many years ago.
GPT is far superior.

Maybe Windows 3 doesn’t play well with GPT.

Try to use a new M.2 NVMe SSD drive with a MBR system.

New Windows installation on an old outdated MBR system.

I’m sorry but I cannot understand the need for of all this.

Seriously, that’s what you read in all I typed? There’s a real element of rudeness and condescension in your post when I’m basically baring my soul over my own lack of knowledge and screw up.

I’m sure there’s a way to set it up. I never said there wasn’t although I’m not sure if my motherboard BIOS supports it. I’m just warning people that if things aren’t right you’ll have a very frustrating day. Telling people to go into CMD prompts and type in raw commands is always fraught with peril if someone doesn’t know exactly what they are doing. Somehow my initial Windows 10 installation was to an MBR drive. I put in a more advanced SSD and cloned that drive to it not knowing a thing about GPT (nor should I have to). Eventually I put in a new M2 NVMe SSD drive and cloned the system drive onto there for even faster speeds. That worked too. Then I started messing with converting that drive (and all my others) to GPT and it ALL BLEW UP. After that happened I read post after post on the internet of people saying they had the same problem. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Reinstalling Windows from scratch when you have major applications loaded (recording software, video and picture editing software, programs that let me work from home and connect securely to our business servers) that has links all over your system (paths to data, program configurations) means days of hard work getting it all back up and running. I knew where APPDATA files were kept for all the software, other files that get written into your documents, application directories (which if they exist when you reinstall, it treats it as an upgrade) . I had copies of that data and moved them to my new system drive.

I’ve built my own computers all my life and have always had state of the art, fast, and reliable equipment and until I saw the help topics of my disk manager software I never had any need to know what GPT was or its advantages. Obviously my Windows install disk didn’t care.

This driver update made msfs feel like before the last patch. stutter stutter frame drop. Rolled back and it was better. Now I just have constant CTD yaaa me.

I am sorry and I apologize to you. No attempt at rudeness or condescension was intended. Just stating the facts. Many people are reading these posts.

I , last year, had my old MBR drive crash. I had a backup of it (via Win7 Backup and Restore on Win 10) onto an external 1TB WD USB drive.

My new drive was a Samsung NVMe PCie M.2 SSD.
I could not get that backup onto the new Win 10 M.2 SSD.
So, I lost it.

I now have Acronis Backup that guarantees that you can get the backup from a new system even different from the system used to build the backup. With it, I can treat the backup with File Explorer and copy any thing from it. Haven’t restored yet.

I agree with this post from you and apologize again.

3 Likes

Here is some interesting news…

Microsoft could move third-party drivers to a new folder in Windows 10 soon, to a new OEMDRIVERS folder.

Before anyone gets their jollies in regards to ReBAR on NVidia cards, the driver only enables it if the game or application is on their whitelist, which MSFS is not. If someone’s observing performance improvements, without fidgeting around with NV Profile Inspector to force ReBAR on, they come from elsewhere.

3 Likes

Good news for MSFS VR users:

Fixed Issues in this Release:

[VR]: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 VR may stutter if Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling
is disabled. [3246674]

PS : :rofl:
Bad news for P3D

[Prepar3D]: The application crashes to desktop after launched. [3285067]

1 Like

And here I was, waiting for the new version to fix the P3D issue.

luckily we own both sims and can switch :rofl:

Yeah, but I am still flying on P3D - I just can’t upgrade to the new driver. Also, from my understanding, the Studio Driver works fine. Just the GameReady one is broken.

P3D crashes with EVERY driver since years :sweat_smile:

yes… may be… Studio Drivers updates are bit slower and are bit less alpha than gameready :wink:

I tried P3D… it realy crash with this version… If that would happen with MSFS,… omg… all the posts about how bad the producer is :rofl:

Good news - an NVidia rep just told me they managed to fix the CTD yesterday and the next version will work fine with P3D. Gotta keep the old one for now.

omg… then I need a better time-management, because currently in download is 2.5.7 DCS … All these because of new 466.xx versions :rofl:

1 Like

Oh boy. I haven’t even tried DCS. Not going there. MSFS and P3D keep me busy enough. I even own X-Plane but it’s not installed right now cause I NEVER use it.

1 Like

The latest driver has been good for me. The GeForce experience FPS display likes to display N/A sometimes and I have not figured out why.

you mean the new one ? This is currently statet as Beta… possible needs bit time to grow…

KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs and bootloops

Might want to give this a miss! May case problems with Vsync.

1 Like

hmmm… may be is nothing else as that the former existing v-sync issues are not realy fixed. Since “Windows 10” all is possible :wink:

EDIT: but seems the reboot issue is realy back again.

1 Like

I also experience a performance drop and crashes with my RTX3080.

My system was running a half year without any CTDs, but now I can’t finish a single flight.

460.89 (I believe) was running just fine.
470.xx the latest one is ■■■■, I get flickering on airport textures, I never had it before. So I rolled back the driver.

I don’t know what causes the issue, but I still have FPS drops on ground. I was at 36 FPS in average, now I have 24-25. All just after the last FS update, newest windows update.

And today again those vcruntime140 dll errors.