NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

TenPatrol,

Cheers for the heads-up!

Charles.

1 Like

those runtimes same but different implementation, if you use standard you can uninstall control panel from store, if you use dch, you just ignore any runtime update click ā€œxā€ to close them
p.s. people, who donā€™t get error updates in windows store, just use this implementation of runtime must be because they use dch drivers long time, and installed runtimes from microsoft store yet, other people, who had installed ++ and dx from another source, after install dch driver will get error trying to install dx and ++ again thru store

Can you elaborate about what DirectX updates are people talking about here? I donā€™t recall any DirectX updates through Windows Update lately (if ever), and Iā€™m up to date. Thereā€™s nothing in the Microsoft Store that Iā€™m using, except WMR and Developer tool for Reverb G2. I thought all DirectX updates are supposed to be installed through Windows Update. Is there anything Iā€™m missing, and where can I get the update thatā€™s supposedly so great?

1 Like

Hello Roman,

No one said that there is an available Direct-X update that is ā€˜so greatā€™.

I am using the standard 496.49 driver and have had two Direct-X 12 updates through the Windows Store along with two Microsoft Visual C++ updates through the store. The Microsoft Visual C++ updates consisted of four separate downloads with one Direct-X 12 Runtime download on two separate occassions.

I have run dxdiag to check my Direct-X 12 version and could not gleam too much from the information there. I could not understand why these updates came through the store and not through Windows update which is a rare occurrence from experience. I have tried many different drivers over the last year including a couple of DCH drivers etc. and I have never had updates like this before through the Microsoft Store. It may be that these updates happen automatically through the MS Store.

Anyhow, I have a very marked improvement in my graphics especially with cloud edges and clouds that are now a pleasure to fly through. I was getting a terrible banding/flickering effect before these recent updates on the edges of clouds. I will be reluctant to even try the next new driver from Nvidia because I donā€™t want to ruin what I have at the moment. I donā€™t think it can get any better that what I have at the moment!

Here is a picture of some great cloud edges. Unfortunately the cloud bases are the wrong colour for Cu cloud and somewhat too dark. I am an amateur artist and know how to paint clouds. These Cu look like threatening Cbā€™s depending on the lighting. The cloud bases are not too bad in the picture below. Anti-aliasing is significantly better too. A lot of people have been complaining about poor cloud edge quality, I am not seeing that now.

Reading ContrivedTea675ā€™s explanation, the graphical improvement must be due solely to the 496.49 driver and my old GTX 1070 OC GPU?

BRGDS

Charles.

Interesting, I have no DX updates in the storeā€¦ Which DX version can you see in dxdiag? I just see ā€œDirectX 12ā€. Considering MSFS doesnā€™t even support DX12 I donā€™t think itā€™s relevantā€¦

1 Like

Download DirectX Updates From Microsoft Store (itechtics.com)

1 Like

Hi TenPatrol,

Nice find on the link and very interesting that Microsoft have decided to make Direct-X updates available through the MS Store. I could not find anything when I searched, mind you I did not spend too much time searching. You have vindicated me! :smiley: I thought I was on Direct-X 11, this could have just been an update in preparation for Microsoft Windows 11 installation to DX12. I have the message saying Win 11 is being prepared for me in Windows Update.

Available from Guru3D today as DCH driverā€¦

Charles.

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ll try thatā€¦

Nothing shows up for me in the Store (searching for DirectX and ā€œdirectx runtimeā€), and the link in the article says itā€™s ā€œnot availableā€. How did you manage to install it exactly?

Yep - DirectX Runtime is currently not available.

More than 2 or 3 years ago but I dont remember how, where and when :smiley:

Roman,

You could try the old method by following this link to the installer and run it when you want. This is the method that I have always used. The Microsoft page says that this installer does not modify the ā€˜Runtimeā€™ installed on your PC. I have just noticed that the Guru3D page indicates the DX installer only coverā€™s versions up-to DX 11. This is obviously because the update process is done through the Microsoft Store now. I think you can ignore the links that I posted below.

The Microsoft Store does not show any history of DX updates only those of applications downloaded from the store. You might not even be aware of updates to DX etc. through the ā€˜Storeā€™ because it might be that they happen in the background unless you are lucky to see them or initiate a download at the right time. I can only guess.

I am now thinking that my PC has migrated from DX11 to DX12 in preparation for Win 11 which is on hold in Windows Update while Microsoft prepares it for me, (according to the message from there).
I am sure the last time I used dxdiag I was on Direct-X 11.

Something has dramatically improved the appearance of clouds and anti-aliasing for me, I literally had a ā€˜wowā€™ moment when I started a flight scenario. I know that the simulator is not optimised for DX12 at the moment, perhaps I had some corrupt DX files, (I will never know).

TenPatrol probably used the DX installer method ā€˜years agoā€™ he cannot remember how he installed DX back then.
ā€˜More than 2 or 3 years ago but I dont remember how, where and whenā€™

I have had another single Microsoft Visual Runtime delivered by the MS Store today. I tried to get a screen-shot but it happened too quickly. Even though the store shows no DX Runtime available, I can assure you that they have been delivered this way to me.

Take care, BRGDS.

Charles.

2 Likes

Did you originally upgrade from Windows 7 to 10? I may be wrong, but I thought windows 10 automatically comes with DX12. I did a fresh install on Win10 a few months ago and I have DX12 installed.

Yes, I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.

Everyone, I think we are starting to drift off-topic with this conversation although it is driver related.

One thing we have learnt/confirmed is that the delivery of updates to DX now comes through the MS Store.

Charles.

Nope mate :wink:

eot

I think the legacy DX updates are via MS store if you have earlier DX components

3 Likes

I had another one yesterday, (small DX Runtime update) via the MS Store. It happened too quicky to get a screen-shot.

Charles.

For those ā€˜nay sayerā€™sā€™ā€¦ :grinning:

2 Likes

DX Runtime update number 5 through Microsoft Store!
See image below.

Charles.

1 Like

Gooier,

Many thanx for the heads-up, I appreciate this. :grinning:

Cheers!

Charles.

Nvidia 457.30 will run P3Dv5 & MSFS2020 and is rock solid stable in VR Mode.

If Iā€™m not in VR Mode, I can run the 496.49 and any others with no problem. The minute I switch to VR mode and put on my Oculus Rift S Headset, all heck breaks loose and itā€™s a different story. I have tried many times to update my NVDIA driver beyond 457.30 for VR with no luck. With 496.49, I get massive stutters, tears, and the black stencil closing in from all sides as I turn my head left and right . When I try to exit VR in MSFS2020- screen freeze followed by CTD.

If anyone has a fix for this, Iā€™m all ears. Otherwise Iā€™ll be w/ ole 457.30.

Thanks

Oh and I donā€™t understand all that tech talk (DDU, Direct X, DCH) jargon and its impact on the smooth running simulator. Plus Iā€™m not sure if I should be posting this issue elsewhere. Iā€™m needing help with VR.

Intel 10850k/RTX3080/WIN10 Fully updated