New Oculus Beta Software

these are the settings i used just now

and on PC settings i have 800x600

but i pushed render scaling up to 120 and i got stutters, then i went back to 90 and it was better, some stutters but quite few.

my config is RTX3070, Ryzen 2600X, Quest 2

Interesting, those are high!

What is your oculus HZ and render scale set to?

here

but i will test again at 90hz

i guess that i should lower the render scaling in MSFS to upper these ones in oculus…

I would be really interested to hear if you try all settings as per my post and see how it runs?

I appreciate you have a 2600x so will likely hit the wall sooner, but now I can run max render resolution in oculus and I cant go back from that super sharp image!

EDIT:
I’ve just seen your debug settings with supersampling at 1.7, so perhaps you’re already there or better than my resolution? still, interested to hear your comparisons.

i just tried 90hz but lowered render scaling to 80

and still very smooth

edit : i removed all settings in OTT so now my pixel per display ovveride is at 1, i try to push it at 1.7

Cool, yeah if you’re up for it give all this a try exactly as listed, and let me know how it works out for you.

I found that 2D desktop resolution made very little difference to performance, but helps with the ATC & checklist windows resolution in VR.

ok, thanks a lot, i will try this later, but definitely yes, this airlink seems a good tool !
just the same defalut as VD is that the flight deck look a bit dark, more difficult to read instruments than with Link i guess.

Airlink is definitely not any better than usb link for me, and in fact towards the end of my flight this afternoon it started freezing a little, which is new.

So all in all, a nice option to have and if they can improve it from here it’ll be great, but not a game changer for me in any performance sense. Just lovely to do short flights without a cable. Longer flights I still need power, and at least this now means I can use my macbook pro charger which gives the Quest 2 all the juice it needs!

so i didn’t follow exactly, i just apply Oculus parms and OTT, nothing else, i stayed with my settings in MSFS and the flight was quite perfect.
i agree that its very similat to Link, and with link i think that i have a better view of flight deck, need to check.
But anyway its impressive, for a beta solution, its running very nicely.

edit : oh, and i kept 20 to 22 FPS also, not so bad and very smooth even by turning head

Glad to hear it works. I am still waiting for activation .I see it on PC, and have activared, but it is not yet on my Quest 2.

for me i had to restart the headset to get the airlink option in experimental menu

I did restart, anyway, someday it will be available, even for me.

This morning I turned on the headset and let it sit there for half an hour. Then shut it down, then started it again. 5 minutes later the update was ready for download in headset.

Got airlink set up this morning and it’s running beautifully. On all games but MSFS2020 :confounded:

Since before Airlink (with Virtual Desktop and the SteamVR runtime, for instance, but also with wired and the Oculus OpenVR runtime), whenever I enter VR in the cockpit MSFS will lock up, flashing between two frames on the binocular 2D view. Anyone seen this before? Got any recommendations? I’m about to uninstall and reinstall the game fresh, but since that’s a 6-hr process I’m open to alternative recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Also, just for some of the newbies like me, could someone fill me in on the acronyms? OTT, ASW?

OTT - oculus tray tool which is an alternative to the oculus debug tool, both allow you to change super sampling and tweak other oculus settings which can help with performance

Asw - asynchronous timewarp, I didn’t make this up!, it’s a setting in OTT or debug tool that tries to smooth the frame rate with oculus screen refresh.

1 Like

What are yourpc specs, just wondering if the problems you’re having might be linked to that before reinstalling.

Also I would download oculus app again before reinstalling , unless you’ve already done this.

1 Like

Correction…

Asw - asynchronous spacewarp!

1 Like

So I decided to give it a try and switch from VD and SteamVR. Man pretty impressed in the color depth and smoothness of the immersion. More than what i was getting with VD and SteamVr.

So to make it work i had to do the following:

1. Default everything in Oculus Tray Tool and remove all presets I had. If you don’t do this the first time you enter Airlink it will be VERY BAD like you are swimming in water and black outlines everywhere. Using Oculus Debug Tool make sure if NVIDIA gpu set the encoding bitrate back to 0.

2. Change my registry to point back to the Oculus from the Steam Vr settings. If you don’t do this every VR session will bring up SteamVR when switching to a VR session in MSFS2020. You no longer need SteamVR to run.

Changed registry back to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json

1. Once connected via Airlink go to the Oculus DEVICES and change graphics to 90hz.

2. in the Airlink setings in the headset once connected leave my connection bitrate to default of variable.

3. Not sure why i lose audio in the haedset once switch to VR mode in MSFS2020 but I just have to go into WIn 10 Sound settings and make my audio output the headset and reverse it back when I am done with my MSFS2020 gameplay for the day. The one think I liked about VD was the audio would seemlessly transfer to the headset. AIrlink does not.

4. One more issue I most likely created for myself was in the past I had changed the Oculus program to run as adminstrator but doing so causes an issue where the AIRLINK slider in settings/Beta would revert everytime I close out the Oculus program. Removing the run as admin the shortcut properties allowed it to stay on.

I have have my VR settings in MSFS2020 to 100 scaling and medium settings and so far so good.

Just uninstalled and reinstalled the Oculus app, but no difference unfortunately.

My PC has a Ryzen 5 5600x on an x570, RTX3070, 16GB ram and an NVME Gen4 SSD.

In MSFS, visual quality is definitely subpar compared to wired link, and visual will stutter/lag with Encode Resolution anything higher than 2352 in OTT. Since I can adjust FOV with OTT, the game performs as good as on cable, only doesn’t look as sharp.